The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old July 21st, 2015   starks is offline   #1
starks
Geoffan

Default DC: Under Review

I was thinking maybe we could have one centralized thread, talking about all of the new DC titles we've read in any given month. I'm usually a little behind with my reading, so forgive me, but since there isn't a heck of a lot of discussion going on here anyway, it shouldn't that big of a deal. So, if you want to join in with the discussion of whatever you're reading this/past month(s), please do so! Here goes:

Aquaman #41: Kind of has a Swords & Sorcery kind of look to him now, for whatever reason. I find this an odd way to start things off after Convergence (but maybe something happened in that--which I didn't read).

The story itself was okay, looks like Aquaman is on his own, in opposition to Mera & the rest of Atlantis. Got to wait & see how things unfold for a few issues.

Bat-Mite #2: Didn't love this second issue. I know there seemed to be some people turned off of #1, but I wasn't.

If you haven't read any ofit, the villain is basically like Ultra-Humanite, trying to put her mind into Hawkman. Yes, Hawkman. Some jabs to Hawkman here in this issue, things we've seen before. The only thing that I liked about this issue was the cover to be honest. I'm going to continue with the miniseries until the end & see how it is overall.

Deathstroke #7: Not really much to say, just looking forward to the confrontation with Wonder Woman next issue.

Justice League #42: I think this is the best title going on right now. This storyline, the Darkseid War, just has an epic feel to it, and nothing has swayed me from feeling that way about it.

Martian Manhunter #'s 1 & 2: Did you see that coming after the second issue? I don't like that the title is starting off with White Martians, as that seems to be the case for every Martian Manhunter title, but I'll live with it, as this title looks like it's giving Jonn a new dimension/spin/additional aspect to the character.

And I want a Mr. Biscuits figure. Just saying.

Red Hood #'s 1 & 2: I've gotten more out of the first two issues of this title restart than I did with a dozen or so issues of the initial Outlaws title. They actually explained what made them Outlaws and it looks like there's an actual direction here. As long as they limit the mysticism, and keep the title grounded as much as possible, I think this title will be a winner.

And mimes! Who doesn't love 'em? Loved the cover to the second issue, and the storyline contained in these two issues. Very good intro.

Sinestro #12: Interesting start, glad to see the father - daughter dynamic carrying this title.

Batman Beyond #'s 1 & 2: Tim in the future? Interesting. That got me intrigued. Decent start to this title. Was a fan of the cartoon, so I'm going to give this title a go.

Omega Men #'s 1 & 2: Wasn't really excited about the first issue, thought it was a bit ho-hum, but the second issue is interesting. If I said anything else, I'd probably be spoiling it too much. Looking forward enough to continue & see how things go.

The Flash #41: Taking inspiration from the TV show. Will be interesting what direction they take things. Love the art. I haven't read this title for awhile, so I'm going to try it out some.

Harley Quinn #18: I'll be honest, not a fan of Palmiotti as a writer. I just wanted to try the title out, heard good things, seemed like it's been getting good press. The cover was great, but inside? Wordy, but nothing good was being said. Bored me.

Others -- Still got to get to Bizarro #2. Read the first two issues of Green Arrow of this post-Convergence restart, just didn't care for it. Too dark for me. Didn't care for the villain--or villains, really--so I won't be continuing. Tried Green Lantern: Lost Army. Meh, didn't really do anything for me either. Don't like the art. One & done. Don't really get the direction of the other Green Lantern title starring Hal Jordan. Don't get the look (different from Justice League). Just odd.

Old July 21st, 2015   Mr. Wrong is offline   #2
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Batman Beyond #'s 1 & 2: Tim in the future? Interesting. That got me intrigued. Decent start to this title. Was a fan of the cartoon, so I'm going to give this title a go.
ddf
starks View Post
Did you read the Batman Beyond comic that was actually based on the Timmiverse version that was cancelled to make way for this new series? It was very good.

I remember an interview with writer Higgins telling readers "not to worry", that the Batman Beyond in Future's End would have no effect on the series... I guess he hadn't gotten the memo yet.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old July 21st, 2015   Amentep is offline   #3
Amentep

Omega Men 2nd issue was better than the 1st. Still not sold on it though, but it improved enough for me to check out 3.

Old July 22nd, 2015   Jorge Galvan is offline   #4
Jorge Galvan
Supporters

What did you make of the "dying scene" with Bat-Mite almost bit the dust???

Or who he ends up going home with????

Old July 22nd, 2015   starks is offline   #5
starks
Geoffan

Did you read the Batman Beyond comic that was actually based on the Timmiverse version that was cancelled to make way for this new series? It was very good.

I remember an interview with writer Higgins telling readers "not to worry", that the Batman Beyond in Future's End would have no effect on the series... I guess he hadn't gotten the memo yet.
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
That's kind of funny that he said that & then this happened.

But no, I didn't read that comic. With the cartoon ending the way it did, I just thought that the cartoon series itself was the definitive version & nothing else needed to be said.

Old July 22nd, 2015   starks is offline   #6
starks
Geoffan

Omega Men 2nd issue was better than the 1st. Still not sold on it though, but it improved enough for me to check out 3.
ddf
Amentep View Post
Yep, agreed. I'm still on the fence with it, will continue to get it for the time being. Would like to know the reason behind the team.

Guessing they'll be tied into the Darkseid War in some way.

Old July 22nd, 2015   starks is offline   #7
starks
Geoffan

What did you make of the "dying scene" with Bat-Mite almost bit the dust???

Or who he ends up going home with????
ddf
Jorge Galvan View Post
I'm going to have to get back to you on that, I don't recall any of that actually.

Old July 22nd, 2015   starks is offline   #8
starks
Geoffan

Bizarro #2: This is just a fun title. I'm getting to be a bit anal with it though, I'm looking at the opposite words used & thinking at times that the word used isn't really the best "opposite" to use.

Loved how Tut thought Bizarro was agreeing with him & was getting mad about it.

This is probably a really hard title to write if you think about it, all the opposite wording going on.

Old July 23rd, 2015   Mr. Wrong is offline   #9
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

That's kind of funny that he said that & then this happened.

But no, I didn't read that comic. With the cartoon ending the way it did, I just thought that the cartoon series itself was the definitive version & nothing else needed to be said.
ddf
starks View Post
The difference in the more recent series and the one that was published concurrently (and beyond!) with the animated series was that it didn't have to preserve the status quo of the cartoon any longer, so it moved things along past the end of the cartoon. They're worth reading, especially if you can find them cheap. The future-JLU and Superman Beyond stories were fun, too.

Old July 23rd, 2015   Astro@work is offline   #10
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

Aquaman- I was initially very skeptical of the new run, since I felt like the recent runs had finally gotten this character right. I am pleasantly surprized that the new storyline isn't screwing things up as much as I feared. I don't mind Arthur's new look (definite cinematic influence from the upcoming movie).

Superman (all books)- The Truth storyline - similarly, I am feel like the Superman books are finally clicking in a way they haven't since the dawn of the nu52 (other than Morrison's Action). When I heard about the new "identity revealed" storyline I was very skeptical. My gut reaction was "oh great, the next thing that strips any humanity away from the character" but I'm finding it's the opposite. Still hate that Lois has been marginalized to nothing but a friendly nemesis in the new continuity, but finally enjoying the Superman character himself.

JLA-40/41- The Darkseid War storyline is great so far, despite the fact that I am NOT a New Gods fan.

Earth 2- this title has gotten a little "meh" for me. The whole new planet thing is feeling like the writers have dug a hole they can't dig themselves out of...or will spend forever trying. Hopefully they haven't ruined the whole Earth 2 concept.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old July 23rd, 2015   Alan is offline   #11
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

I love how JL is rejoicing in the fact that they don't have to change all the characters to fit with other current storylines. Everyone is who they usually are. And these last two issues have been excellent, really excellent. Fabok is really producing the goods on this title. Johns is so good at the epic, and this is one in spades.

Also enjoying the JLU book and its new brief. They can use anyone as a team member, and will have short runs too. Great start.

Enjoying the new Constantine too, it feels more like him again.

Yes, also enjoying the Superman titles. They still haven't explained what happened but it s making the books far more readable than they have been in ages.
Black Canary is fun, once you manage to cast off 40 years of memories about what she used to be, which is not always a bad thing. She hasn't managed to hold her own book down for very long in the past, so let's give it a go.

Lots still to read, including the MM and new Hitch JLA.

Old July 23rd, 2015   ronaldj is offline   #12
ronaldj
Supreme Geoffan

read Black Canary 1 and 2 last night off to good start....read WW41 tonight and it is good as well and the art is fantastic......I read the first robin but dropped that one.....read batman 41 it is ok but just ok......

One day I'll be done with this, but for now, once more into the fray. Thom
Old July 24th, 2015   Mr. Wrong is offline   #13
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

I love how JL is rejoicing in the fact that they don't have to change all the characters to fit with other current storylines. Everyone is who they usually are.
ddf
Alan View Post
EDIT

That's really cool. I always hated when JLA was constantly having to shoehorn things from the solo titles in, especially when it disrupted the stories (Morrison's JLA is marred by many unfortunate distractions as a result of temporary things going on in the characters' solo titles).

Old July 24th, 2015   achilles140 is offline   #14
achilles140
Supreme Geoffan

Aquaman- I was initially very skeptical of the new run, since I felt like the recent runs had finally gotten this character right. I am pleasantly surprized that the new storyline isn't screwing things up as much as I feared. I don't mind Arthur's new look (definite cinematic influence from the upcoming movie).

Superman (all books)- The Truth storyline - similarly, I am feel like the Superman books are finally clicking in a way they haven't since the dawn of the nu52 (other than Morrison's Action). When I heard about the new "identity revealed" storyline I was very skeptical. My gut reaction was "oh great, the next thing that strips any humanity away from the character" but I'm finding it's the opposite. Still hate that Lois has been marginalized to nothing but a friendly nemesis in the new continuity, but finally enjoying the Superman character himself.

JLA-40/41- The Darkseid War storyline is great so far, despite the fact that I am NOT a New Gods fan.

Earth 2- this title has gotten a little "meh" for me. The whole new planet thing is feeling like the writers have dug a hole they can't dig themselves out of...or will spend forever trying. Hopefully they haven't ruined the whole Earth 2 concept.
ddf
Far as Earth 2 goes, I agree. I wanted so very much to love this title, instead, I'm only at the point of not hating it with a passion. Frankly, they should have taken the opportunity to discard the nu52 Earth 2 and gone back to the pre COIE version, just prior to said Crisis.

I knew it was going the wrong way when they set up a way to marginalize the Kryptonians. Nor am I liking the whole new world thing the way I should.

Try my Blog!

Visit me on Facebook here!
Old July 27th, 2015   starks is offline   #15
starks
Geoffan

Jorge Galvan,

Re-read the Bat-Mite issue. Knew he wouldn't die or anything, so no big deal. And for who he ends up with, just moving the story along more than anything.

Old July 27th, 2015   starks is offline   #16
starks
Geoffan

Aquaman #42: Got an intro to Tempest, although he wasn't named. Not really a fan of the art overall & quite frankly the story isn't do much for me.

Might be wise to split up the book & see what's going on with Mera & her motivations, and see that part of the title explored more, other than Mera the evil queen exposition by Arthur every issue.

Cyborg #1: Not too impressed with the first issue. Whole issue was the father/son thing we've seen in the Justice League title. Yeah, we get that they don't have a good relationship, let's not spend an entire issue on it.

The bad guys in outer space making their way to Earth don't thrill me either

And he goes off with a former high school football rival to close things off?

Atleast the cover was good.

Deathstroke #8: Another title that employed broken record storytelling. Wonder Woman was mad at Deathstroke & wanted to hurt/kill him. The entire issue.

This week Deathstroke gets an annual. With 8 issues in, how does he get an annual? C'mon DC.

The Flash #42: Not a fan of the beginning of the issue at the prison, but things picked up after that.

Sinestro #13: Best issue of the week for me. Just a good story throughout.