The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics > Aquaman

Old September 19th, 2013   jafabian is offline   #1
jafabian
Im not dead.

Thumbs up 10 reasons why Aquaman is a [email protected]$$

From Newsarama: A Laughingstock? 10 Reasons AQUAMAN is a BADASS!

I remember during PAD's run on the series Wizard did a column on the 10 baddest superheroes in comics and Aquaman was among them.

Old September 20th, 2013   mego joe is offline   #2
mego joe
Geoffan

I've always been of this opinion, I grew up a swimmer and there was rarely anything cooler I could think of than being Aquaman. Unfortunately, I thought PAD made him more jerk than bad ass.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old September 20th, 2013   Mr. Wrong is offline   #3
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

I've always been of this opinion, I grew up a swimmer and there was rarely anything cooler I could think of than being Aquaman. Unfortunately, I thought PAD made him more jerk than bad ass.
ddf
mego joe View Post
Jerk was my initial impression of PAD's run, but he definitely made him more "bad ass" than he had been portrayed in the past, and I'm talking about utilizing his powers in ways that previous writers had not. I kind of like playing up the "acting like a king" in his attitude, as well. A dash of "Conan" seemed like what Aquaman needed to me. Morrison did a great job with Arthur in JLA using the PAD-take on the character, too, IMO.

Aquaman's status quo sure went through a lot of changes from that point forward.

-PAD: Hook hand/King Arthur/Underwater Warrior
-Erik Larsen: I didn't enjoy his run, so I'm not sure I can be fair in assessing what he was trying to do with the character...
-Dan Jurgens: Like PAD's run, but toned-down a bit. Pretty straight forward superheroics with a bit of fantasy/sword & sorcery
-Rick Veitch: Veitch went all high-fantasy with things... I like Rick Veitch's writing most of the time, but for some reason his run just never felt right to me... Freshwater Aquaman with a magic water hand? Atlanteans suddenly all insane or evil?
-Andy Diggle (I think he was next): The Sub Diego setting was a pretty cool idea, it was at least something new. I ended up enjoying his run more than I thought I would. Underwater superheroics, very light on the S&S elements

seems like I'm forgetting somebody around this time...

-Kurt Busiek: Straight up underwater Conan. Unfortunately, I wanted to read about Arthur, not the "new kid", and while on its own I think "Sword of Aquaman" was a good series, it wasn't what I would have really wanted because Arthur was a weird Cthulu-headed sage thing... I've read that Busiek dealt with pretty heavy meddling from above on this book.

...and what was next? New52 Aquaman? I can't even remember how or when Arthur returned to normal following "Sword of Aquaman"... Was it during Brightest Day?

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old September 21st, 2013   mego joe is offline   #4
mego joe
Geoffan

Brightest Day is right I believe.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me