The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics > Aquaman

Old September 27th, 2011   Bizarro #98 is offline   #1
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

Default Geoff Johns Interviews (Long-term Hints)

Geoff has been making the interview rounds promoting the new issue that comes out tomorrow, but he also gives a small amount of information about his long term plans. There's one at Newsarama and another at Comic Book Resources.

Here are a few of the highlights that jumped out at me:

Nrama: You've mentioned that you take advantage of the fact that a lot of people laugh at Aquaman. Some people have reacted to that thinking it might be too much of a joke, yet you wrote him much more seriously in Brightest Day. As you approach his solo series, how do you balance those two ideas of Aquaman?

Johns: I think that he's the ultimate underdog to me. I think that's a good thing. He's underestimated by everybody, except Mera. Balancing the perception of what Aquaman is, and trying to break that perception, is what the book's all about.

We certainly don't get goofy, but we do have fun with it.

The stakes are real. The Trench are nasty. And the things he faces are really tough, and what he deals with is serious stuff. But at the same time, I didn't want to run away from the perception of him.

I've read a lot of comics with Aquaman in them, and they really go for the throat when trying to make him cool, sometimes. And I think Aquaman is cool. I don't think you have to work that hard to make him cool.

But what you do need to do is address why people don't think he's cool. And just accept that -- hey, you're writing an Aquaman comic book.

I think that's what I'm trying to do on Ivan and Joe (Prado].

And Ivan and Joe on art -- you know how great they are. They bring a big, regal, epic, powerful feel to these characters. And I think that also legitimizes the character.

The goal is to find a good balance, and not run away from everything that people think about Aquaman.

Nrama: You mention Mera quite a bit. Is she the main supporting cast? Will we see any other characters surrounding her and Arthur, and even some familiar villains?

Johns: You'll see Aquaman in issue #1, and then Mera really comes on board in issue #2. Mera will have a focus issue with issue #6. So the book's really focused on those two characters more than anybody else. There is a new supporting cast member introduced in issue #3 that I think is very different than anyone Aquaman's ever interacted with before. And they'll play a role in the book. And then we eventually will see other characters, like Aqualad and Aquagirl.

You'll also be introduced to a kind of strange member of the supporting cast in issue #4.

And then as far as villains, there are a lot of new characters, like The Trench. But you'll also see some familiar faces like Black Manta, Ocean Master and another obscure Aquaman villain, but his character will echo how we made Black Hand into a central figure in the Green Lantern mythos.

From the solicitation information we have, the first of the new threats are the Trench creatures, which sort of look like anglerfish from hell. What can you tell us about the Trench and those creatures coming out of it?

They're anglerfish from hell! You're exactly right. By the end of issue one, you'll know exactly what they want and what they're all about. You won't know where they're from or why they are there, but that's kind of what the first arc is all about. I wanted to do something that was a little bit more of a reflection -- I don't want to spoil anything, but this won't make sense until the arc is done. It's a weird strange reflection on Aquaman and Mera. It's pretty horrific. One thing leads to another in the storyline when we explore who the Trench, and what they want and why and what they've done over the centuries. I wanted to create something brand new for Aquaman. He has a couple great villains, but we're really hoping to push new stuff in the book. The Trench are very different from any other antagonist in the DC Universe. There's nothing else quite like the Trench.

That was something I've been curious about since the solicitations came out. Like you said, they are different from other villains in the DCU, and they look very different from the foes like Ocean Master or Black Manta that Aquaman typically fights. Was this a purposeful decision, to create new, more terrifying villains for the New 52 Aquaman?

Absolutely, really important. The details are eclectic. They sound like seals, but they're really weird creatures! It's really explicit in issue one, that Aquaman protects land from sea and sea from land. He's caught in the middle, literally. That's what he's all about. His whole life is being caught in the middle. He's clearly half human and half Atlantean; he feels like he's at home on land, but he's also at home in the ocean. It's a duality that he struggles with constantly.

Since we're talking about villains, do you have plans for Ocean Master or Black Manta or some of those other villains to come in later arcs?

We will eventually get to Ocean Master and Black Manta and one other very obscure Aquaman villain from the past that we are reintroducing, but we are focused a lot on new stuff to start. New threats, he meets some new villains; there's also a storyline of him searching for who sank Atlantis that introduces a bunch of new characters.

Along those lines, when people talk about Aquaman villains, a lot of attention has been paid to Black Manta and Ocean Master -- are there any other bad guys who, to you, are quintessential Aquaman villains that, even if you haven't done something with them yet, you want to make sure you hit in the series?

Well, first, Black Manta and Ocean Master are definitely -- talk about Aquaman villains, those are the two Aquaman villains. There will be others, but there's one that I think we can make essential, too, just like Black Hand kind of grew out of "Green Lantern" and became a very great villain for us and a great dark reflection of Hal Jordan -- somebody who was embracing every moment of death. We do have one villain from the Aquaman universe we're going to try and do that with, but I don't want to get into it just yet.

Is this also the reason why you're using Darkseid as the first villain in "Justice League?"

Well, for that, that's a simple reason. Working with Jim Lee on "Justice League," if they are going to come together, it's going to be because of the biggest, baddest villain in the DC Universe -- and that's Darkseid. That was simple. He's just a great, great villain.

Touching once more on the Trench and the first arc of "Aquaman," have you done a lot of research on ocean life and deep-sea creatures and real-world underwater trenches in preparation for the series?

Yeah, and there's something you learn about the Trench based on a very strange organism that I just find fascinating and completely disgusting and disturbing! It's all based on the science of it. Even down below, when we get to the bottom of the ocean, things don't quite work as well, Aquaman's powers don't work the same way. Even Aquaman has limitations. There was a lot of research involved in this. I learned a lot about piranhas, too!

Any guesses on who the obscure Aquaman villain might be? The Awesome Threesome? Captain Noah? Dare I suggest... Seaman?

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482
Old October 25th, 2011   komikboy is offline   #2
komikboy

intresthing.

but i have one question, though...

it may not relate directly with Geoff's plan (about Trench)... but from the 1st time they solicit the reboot, i always curious about the Mythology universe in DCNU 52. Especially some of DC heroes/heroine share the same mytology universe... let say, wonder woman, aquaman, and shazam which part of their universe are from Greek Mythology/literatur.

in the past (bfore DCNU 52) somehow i felt they separated each other (with all the excuse they made). for example, in trial of shazam, all the Gods somehow different with Greek Gods/Goddess in wonder woman.

so the question is : are or will they related each other in one (same) mytology universe?

Old October 25th, 2011   SGiacomelli is offline   #3
SGiacomelli

intresthing.

but i have one question, though...

in the past (bfore DCNU 52) somehow i felt they separated each other (with all the excuse they made). for example, in trial of shazam, all the Gods somehow different with Greek Gods/Goddess in wonder woman.

so the question is : are or will they related each other in one (same) mytology universe?
ddf
komikboy View Post
All the Gods/Goddesses were indeed separate in the old (well, Post-Crisis) DCU. They even fought each other in the War of the Gods mini-series from 1991 or so. As for their status in the new DCU...that hasn't been touched upon yet, as far as I know.

Old October 25th, 2011   komikboy is offline   #4
komikboy

All the Gods/Goddesses were indeed separate in the old (well, Post-Crisis) DCU. They even fought each other in the War of the Gods mini-series from 1991 or so. As for their status in the new DCU...that hasn't been touched upon yet, as far as I know.
ddf
SGiacomelli View Post
well...well... it certainly bcome more intriguing, yes?

especially with the rumour of shazam in the back page of JLA#2 and the fact that Azzarello's plan on Greek Gods in his WW universe, could their story be cross-over each other?! :P :P :P

anyway... its only issue that come and go in my mind whenever these superheroes/heroine retold. i just wish DC manage to clear up their mythology universe.

ok then... let's just sit and wait for a good story (i hope).

Old October 26th, 2011   Mr. Wrong is offline   #5
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

In the "Genesis" mini series, John Byrne explained how the gods of the various pantheons came to be, and how they were/weren't inter-related.

Nowadays... Who knows?

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old October 26th, 2011   komikboy is offline   #6
komikboy

uhmm... i wasn't thinking that big... i meant i wasn't think about the whole Godsverse in DCNU 52... but rather joining the heroes/heroine/villain that share the same mythology/literatur.

but yea... maybe they should think to clear it up too. it might be a job for Grant Morrison, though.
but for me...i think its better to let some untold story about the Gods, let some void about them... bcoz one essence about the Gods is a misterious or unreachable for ordinary human

Old November 23rd, 2011   oddballuk is offline   #7
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

New interview with Geoff on IGN: http://uk.comics.ign.com/articles/121/1213163p1.html

My favourite bit?

IGN: So, this might be kind of a lofty question, but what's your ultimate hope for your work on Aquaman? How do you want to leave the character when you're done?

Johns: I have no plans to leave the book!
ddf

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews