The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Convention Season and Cosplay

Convention Season and Cosplay Where are you going? Who are you going to meet there? Who are you going to be?

Old July 13th, 2006   Cammy is offline   #33
Cammy
Advanced Geoffan

I was wondering if it was possible for an artist to do a sketch of a character they've never done before? I'd bring a picture for reference. I'm a big Cammy fan and I would love to collect other artist perspectives on Cammy but I'm not sure if artists only do sketches for characters they've done before. If someone could help me out with this, that'd be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Bag me a comic, I'll be back for breakfast.
Old July 13th, 2006   kadymae is offline   #34
kadymae
Neo Geoffan

I was wondering if it was possible for an artist to do a sketch of a character they've never done before? I'd bring a picture for reference. I'm a big Cammy fan and I would love to collect other artist perspectives on Cammy but I'm not sure if artists only do sketches for characters they've done before. If someone could help me out with this, that'd be greatly appreciated, thanks!
ddf
Cammy
If you bring a reference most artists are happy to do it.

Katherine Keller
Editrix In Chief
Sequential Tart
"Have Brass Ovaries, Will Travel"
Old July 13th, 2006   Etrigan001 is offline   #35
Etrigan001
Geoffan

This is a pretty cool thread!

I've often wondered what I would need to do to get a sketch from some artists when I go to cons. I'm usually too shy to really say much other than "Hi." Sometimes I'm not even sure who I'm talking to though and that limits what I say too. ( The artists don't always sit behind little name cards. )

I think bringing your own sketchbook is a great idea and I wish I'd thought of it before! I wonder what kind of comments I might get if I sketched a few pictures in it myself. It would be cool to talk to a "pro" and see what they thought of my work! LOL

This thread has some really great tips and advice. Thanks for starting it and thanks to all that have contributed!

Also, I do agree... soap and water and a clean set of clothes can be much appreciated by everyone at these things!

Old July 14th, 2006   lrdgrifter is offline   #36
lrdgrifter

Wow.
I go out of town for a few days, and the thread explodes? Inconceivable!

Thanks for all the good advice, folks.
Special thanks to Phil and Sharis.

Now I won't feel like a total dweeb.

One more question on the no ripping pages thing. I see the point, but is this a major issue? The only reason I ask is that my wife and I (lucky me, she's just as big a geek as me) have talked about framing sketches and hanging them in "The Room" (comics & memorabilia). Would this be considered rude, or a bad idea? Just a matter of personal taste? Or would it be a good idea to have a seperate book for headshots, etc and one especially for commisions?

There's no such thing as "awesome" without ME!
Old July 14th, 2006   Jason Truong is offline   #37
Jason Truong
Neo Geoffan

One more question on the no ripping pages thing. I see the point, but is this a major issue? The only reason I ask is that my wife and I (lucky me, she's just as big a geek as me) have talked about framing sketches and hanging them in "The Room" (comics & memorabilia). Would this be considered rude, or a bad idea? Just a matter of personal taste? Or would it be a good idea to have a seperate book for headshots, etc and one especially for commisions?
ddf
lrdgrifter
See, some artists don't care whether or not you ripped, or sliced out, a page from your book. Many are not like the one described earlier. I don't see it as a major issue. I would suggest getting a sketchpad rather than a sketchbook for that. The pages are easier to get out. I just prefer the hardcover sketchbook, because it's more sturdy for conventions, and I have nowhere to hang sketches I want to pull out of my book.

Old July 14th, 2006   Thunderflash11 is offline   #38
Thunderflash11
Supreme Geoffan

...claremont is a writer not an artist...did you know that?
ddf
agentofdarkness
GAH! I mean dave cockrum.
Holy **** I made an *** of myself there
But he's got health issues so he probably can't make cons as easy as most.

Old July 14th, 2006   majflash is offline   #39
majflash
Spread it on!

This is a great thread. Im going to Wizard Chicago this year and Im not going to forget my sketchbook like last year!

Go Bears!
Old July 14th, 2006   kadymae is offline   #40
kadymae
Neo Geoffan

See, some artists don't care whether or not you ripped, or sliced out, a page from your book. Many are not like the one described earlier. I don't see it as a major issue. I would suggest getting a sketchpad rather than a sketchbook for that. The pages are easier to get out.
ddf
Jason Truong

What you said.

On the other hand, generally speaking, if you want something that's really going to look fantastic hung on the wall, you'll want to comission the sketch and that's a whole different thing. Not that I don't have some nice stuff in my sketch books, but most of it isn't really what I'd like to have framed -- gnerally speaking a "free sketch" takes the artist a minute to do.

(If you click here you can get an idea of the wide variety you get in a freebee -- depending on the artist's time and creative process.)

My comissioned sketches have always been on loose paper on a sketch pad with pages designed to be taken out.

I'm just saying that visible signs of torn-out pages in a sketchbook might give an artist an impression that you're an eBayer looking to make a quick buck when you're not.

Katherine Keller
Editrix In Chief
Sequential Tart
"Have Brass Ovaries, Will Travel"
Old July 14th, 2006   grimston1 is offline   #41
grimston1
Hat in a horse trough?

ddf
Cammy
I ask Ron Garney for an Adam Strange sketch. He said that he needed a reference. I had already printed several Mystery in Space covers and handed them to him.

I ended up with a very awesome sketch. Ron mentioned that he really enjoyed doing the sketch. Sometime artist like to try something different and it is cool to see a take on it.

Boys, when that steel door slams shut, that's the end of the happy days. No more fishin', no more ball playin', no more peanut butter sandwiches.
Old July 14th, 2006   Ralph Malph is offline   #42
Ralph Malph
Supporters

This is a great thread. I've never thought about a sketch book before...maybe next year I'll try one at Chicago!

-Ralph Malph

- A priest, rabbi, and duck walk into a bar and the bartendar says, "What is this, some kind of joke"
Old July 30th, 2006   DABEARS is offline   #43
DABEARS
KRYPTO,NOT ON THE CARPET!

I will be attending the Wizard World Chicago this year.(Saturday only) I am really looking forward to starting up a sketchbook. I too am glad this thread was started. I didn't know what or how to ask for sketches, and also thanks everybody for asking great questions and for all the great answers. Hope to see a few of you there.

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Old September 21st, 2006   Matt Olsen is offline   #44
Matt Olsen
Dark Lord of Daffodils

Since I'm headed to my first convention this weekend, I thought I'd ressurrect this thread. Thanks to everyone who has posted so far - I've found it really helpful and I'm going to hunt down a sketchbook some time before I go. Now I just need to figure out what I want some of the artists to draw for me.

Here's a question: I've rounded up all kinds of books for creators to sign. What do people lug all that stuff around in? I can't imagine carrying around a box but it's almost what you need to keep the books and comics nice. My store owner suggested a laptop bag, which is actually a pretty good idea. What have you guys done?

"He's a semi-aquatic, egg-laying mammal of action..."
Old September 21st, 2006   Jason Truong is offline   #45
Jason Truong
Neo Geoffan

Here's a question: I've rounded up all kinds of books for creators to sign. What do people lug all that stuff around in? I can't imagine carrying around a box but it's almost what you need to keep the books and comics nice. My store owner suggested a laptop bag, which is actually a pretty good idea. What have you guys done?
ddf
Matt Olsen
Normally, a backpack, that can fit self-made boxes (from bigger boxes), to fit comics in (just because I don't like them moving around too much in my backpack, and want more protection). It really depends on how much you plan to bring.

Earlier this month, I used a backpack and and one of them rolling luggages, because I didn't want to make the trip to the car. It probably would've been easier for me to carry a small comic box, because I could've fit all my stuff in there, and it'd be easier to carry around, instead of the rolling luggage.

Like I said, it depends on how much you plan to bring.

Old September 21st, 2006   jonnjonz is offline   #46
jonnjonz
persona non grata

Normally, a backpack, that can fit self-made boxes (from bigger boxes), to fit comics in (just because I don't like them moving around too much in my backpack, and want more protection). It really depends on how much you plan to bring.

Earlier this month, I used a backpack and and one of them rolling luggages, because I didn't want to make the trip to the car. It probably would've been easier for me to carry a small comic box, because I could've fit all my stuff in there, and it'd be easier to carry around, instead of the rolling luggage.

Like I said, it depends on how much you plan to bring.
ddf
Jason Truong View Post
I use two steamer trunks that I have had wheels attached to, that way I'm not limited in terms of the numbers I can bring. One of the trunk lids also has a nifty easel/desk top that unfolds when opened. This feature has allowed me to not have to wait in line ups, I find if I prep the desk with the comics, I can generally walk up to creators and get them to sign on the spot - or even draw me a sketch or two.

The only creator who had a problem with this was John Byrne - he seemed to feel that signing his entire run on the FF, and getting two sketches was pushing it. He felt my system was exploitive.

Old September 21st, 2006   Matt Olsen is offline   #47
Matt Olsen
Dark Lord of Daffodils

Hey, yeah, I can rent one of those shopping cart pushers that they use these days, add two or three cards and load'em up. As long as I don't have to take any sharp corners inside of the convention, I should be fine. (And yeah, I'm slow. Two steamer trunks!? The robodesk thing put you over the top, though. )

Actually, it looks like I'm taking around six TPBs and ten issues for thirteen different creators. I like the custom-box-in-a-backpack route. Come to think of it, I could also put a box in the laptop bag. Either way, I'm carrying it on a shoulder but it's probably easier to swing the laptop bag around to get in.

"He's a semi-aquatic, egg-laying mammal of action..."
Old September 24th, 2006   Darth Vader is offline   #48
Darth Vader
Neo Geoffan

Default The Official Convention Q & A's Thread

I need some help, fellow comic fans.

I'm a comic convention virgin. I've read and loved comics all my life, and have always wanted to go to a convention. For various reasons, I was never able to go, mainly finances and life getting in the way.

Anyway, Wizard World Texas is close enough to my home here in Lafayette, Louisiana that I won't need to buy an expensive airplane ticket. So WWT will be my first convention experience.

What I'm trying to decide is how many days I should go, what to bring, etc. WW.com hasn't specified what's happening when, i.e., when signings or Q&As will be happening and all that, so I don't know whether to stay two nights or one night. Already, the projected cost of the weekend is clocking in at around two hundred bucks, and that's before I actually buy anything at the convention.

I need some advice here.

Vader

"Give yourself to the dark side."
Vader/Batman in 2008!