The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old December 29th, 2006   Marvelman is offline   #1
Marvelman
Geoffan

Default Wildcat & the relative merits of boxing and self-defense

Hey Geoff,

I just thought I'd point out that boxers did not fare well against grapplers in the early days of the UFC. The competitors that now enter the UFC all cross train in the striking and grappling arts. Hand-to-hand combat has come a long way since Ted's first life. I'm going to avoid making a specific suggestion because I know that's not the way you work. But I will observe that Ted Grant is kind of guy who would go with whatever works.

Marvelman
Old December 30th, 2006   Gremlin is offline   #2
Gremlin
Mischievous sprite

I love the grappling arts, especially grappling sculpture. That's good stuff, if a little too minimalist.

Grem-

Old December 30th, 2006   Fletcher Hawke is offline   #3
Fletcher Hawke
Rum and Arrows Horseman

Boxing is the core of Ted's fighting style, but that doesn't make it the limit of his style. And the UFC isn't exactly the most accurate measure of what works "in the field" most frequently. For one thing, very few people are in any kind of condition to take the punishment those guys can. They're closer to a worst case senario. Also, in the earlier runs of UFC, most of the competitors had limited training/experience in dealing with styles other than their own. The grapplers had the advantage in that avoiding/taking a strike is closer in skillset to their training than braking effectively executed holds is to a striker's training.

Ted's the kind of guy to go with what works for him, and he knows how to make variations of straight boxing work in most situations. When that doesn't go, he slips into boxing dirty

Old December 30th, 2006   Gremlin is offline   #4
Gremlin
Mischievous sprite

To put this in a kind of historical context, the last time we actually saw Ted in a prolonged fight situation, he did use combinations and basically did anything that he needed to in order to get the upper hand in a one-man stand against the new Injustice Society in the JSA trade paperback DARKNESS FALLS. Oh and he also managed to make the girls swoon while he was at it!

Grem-

Old December 30th, 2006   kcnut is offline   #5
kcnut*
Citizen

Wildcat can fight with the best with the best of them beside what make you think batman didn't teach him any new tricks.

Proud member of BASH head of the bash P.R. Dept.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t24/kcnut/glalan.jpg
Old December 30th, 2006   Amentep is offline   #6
Amentep

Yeah I'm pretty sure even in the GA Wildcat was a boxer in the ring and a bit of a street fighter out of it (albeit one who was trained in boxing!). I'm almost positive I've read some stuff from the 70s revival that indicated he'd thrown some other martial styles into his repetoire as well.

Old December 30th, 2006   rex tyler is offline   #7
rex tyler
The Bemused Horseman

Yeah I'm pretty sure even in the GA Wildcat was a boxer in the ring and a bit of a street fighter out of it (albeit one who was trained in boxing!). I'm almost positive I've read some stuff from the 70s revival that indicated he'd thrown some other martial styles into his repetoire as well.
ddf
Amentep View Post

This is true. The '70s mentioned that he knew other forms of martial arts besides pugilism. And the couple of golden age reprints I've read show Ted with Nightwing-esque acrobatic training, as well.

Ted Grant is a very well-rounded hand-to-had combatant. It's just that the current writers like the boxing stuff the most, I guess.

Old December 30th, 2006   Tick Tock Findley is offline   #8
Tick Tock Findley
Four Color Cowboy

Hey Geoff,

I just thought I'd point out that boxers did not fare well against grapplers in the early days of the UFC. The competitors that now enter the UFC all cross train in the striking and grappling arts. Hand-to-hand combat has come a long way since Ted's first life. I'm going to avoid making a specific suggestion because I know that's not the way you work. But I will observe that Ted Grant is kind of guy who would go with whatever works.
ddf
Marvelman View Post
If you go back to Wildcat's reintroduction in Brave and Bold #62, he was shown to use more than just boxing even then. In one of the early JSA/JLA team-ups, the E-2 Robin stated that he knew he could depend on Ted's Karate to get them out of a trap.

To inject a little personal perspective into this, I'd put my money on Joe Louis or Rocky Marciano over just about any UFC fighter I've seen so far. Mr. Louis was so fast he was nearly always a blur when photgraphed.

Kevin

"We will either find a way, or make one." Hannibal
Old December 30th, 2006   achilles140 is offline   #9
achilles140
Supreme Geoffan

I think Geoff himself had Ted telling Bruce that he taught him all the dirty tricks he knows, (though that turned out not to be true).

From a real world perspective, while boxing isn't a complete martial art, it is just about the best at what it does, and a pro like Ted would be in unbelievable condition and be llightning fast, (as Gail Simone has Canary explain).

Old December 30th, 2006   Dodge Dart is offline   #10
Dodge Dart
Advanced Geoffan

There's two kinds of boxing: The one for sport that we see today, and the bare knuckle type, which has none of the rules of the ring. Also, in Ted's day, there was a lot more counterpunching and ring maneuvering than today's boxers use.

Stay tuned, more after these messages.