The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Town Hall > Web Site Issues/ Suggestions

Web Site Issues/ Suggestions Give us your feedback, make suggestions

Old December 20th, 2006   Paul_King is offline   #1
Paul_King
Make Mine Marvel Cosmic!

Default Too many poll posts in Comics News section?!?

Is there a way to condense or eliminate the 12,000 DC martial arts polls spamming up the Comic News, Rumors section.

My JSA review post lasted less than 24 hours before going to page 2 under the sheer weight of the poll posts...

I don't mind some fun but maybe space it out a little or something?

"You wrote 'The world doesn't need a Savior' but everyday I hear people crying for one." - Superman Returns
Old December 20th, 2006   ConnorFan is offline   #2
ConnorFan
aka Alex Violette

The only way I could see that happening is if they seperated the forums in a clearer fashion and the comic announcement discussion news and rumors page became only News and Rumors(or News and Reviews), and all other threads were moved to another forum.

But so long as its a comic discussion which those polls are, it's really fair game for that forum.

Old December 20th, 2006   Paul_King is offline   #3
Paul_King
Make Mine Marvel Cosmic!

The only way I could see that happening is if they seperated the forums in a clearer fashion and the comic announcement discussion news and rumors page became only News and Rumors(or News and Reviews), and all other threads were moved to another forum.

But so long as its a comic discussion which those polls are, it's really fair game for that forum.
ddf
ConnorFan View Post
I'm fine with the topic being in that forum. Is there a limit to how many at once?

Is 12 rounds (equal posts) so close together something we can limit?

I could post polls asking to vote on romantic couplings of every comic character in seperate threads but there would or should be a limit. right?

"You wrote 'The world doesn't need a Savior' but everyday I hear people crying for one." - Superman Returns
Old December 20th, 2006   Sean Boyle is offline   #4
Sean Boyle
Oppressor Mouse All-Star

I agree Paul. I tried to discuss Green Arrow and ended up voting for Wildcat over Guardian.

Old December 21st, 2006   RJ Squires is offline   #5
RJ Squires
persona non grata

At the very least, it should be moved to Random Junk.....

Old December 21st, 2006   evilscratch is offline   #6
evilscratch
The Hepatic Horseman

Well, it is called Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors. I would think that it is in the appropriate place. Random Junk is for mainly non-comic related wackiness and such.
Still, I can see your point, Paul. Perhaps a new area devoted entirely to polls and or surveys (except for Random Junk polls)...the Ballot Box or something, would be in order?

Raising a glass to Mike (Argent).
Old December 21st, 2006   TJLamb0518 is offline   #7
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Maybe a Comic Junk forum?

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old December 21st, 2006   ConnorFan is offline   #8
ConnorFan
aka Alex Violette

I'm fine with the topic being in that forum. Is there a limit to how many at once?

Is 12 rounds (equal posts) so close together something we can limit?

I could post polls asking to vote on romantic couplings of every comic character in seperate threads but there would or should be a limit. right?
ddf
Paul_King View Post
I think you are looking at this as spamming, it really isnt though. The op isnt just throwing up polls, there are character blurbs explaining each character and there is only 4 seeds IIRC.

I mean lets be honest you could flood the board with anything. For instance what if you reviewed 300 web comics(heck just reviewing 300 comics) and posted seperate reviews for each on the main forum? Anything can be over done even reviews.

One of the problems was if you look at the thread that go this going there were soo many martial artists that it was broken up into seeds. If it was polled one match at a time it would have taken forever, and to be honest even if it does go through the seeds its going to take a while to get through all of them.

To solve this specific problem the best thing would be a multiple poll thread. In other words a thread could contained a number of different (related) polls in one thread. So one could vote on the Batman Question fight, and Batgirl Ravager seperately but within the same thread. Just like you would probably do to be considerate with your over abundance of reviews, put it in a single thread or at least a smaller number of threads so its easier on people. With polls thats not really an option.

Old December 21st, 2006   clarkent1982 is offline   #9
clarkent1982*
Citizen

Maybe we should take a poll in this topice

But, yeah, the polls are getting a little bit out of control

Newsarama journalists ask these questions to Joe Q and Dan Buckley: Why place a $3.99 price tag for only 22 page of materiel?
Old December 21st, 2006   rex tyler is offline   #10
rex tyler
The Bemused Horseman

I suggested to the author of the polls to format it as an NCAA-style tourney, with 4 brackets. So we would have 8 matchups at once, rather than one at a time. I guess he didn't understand(which may have been my fault for being unclear).

Still, he meant no ill will, and it IS sparking interest in the community. Perhaps just PMing him a friendly suggestion to format several of the match-ups into one section?

Old December 21st, 2006   evilscratch is offline   #11
evilscratch
The Hepatic Horseman

maybe it was just your jsa review and not so much the polls.
ddf
Old School View Post
ZING! Lance, you get a thumbs up for that one!

Raising a glass to Mike (Argent).
Old December 21st, 2006   Paul_King is offline   #12
Paul_King
Make Mine Marvel Cosmic!

I'm not saying he shouldn't post them.

I also agree that it is sparking discussion.

I agree with Rex's suggestion about making the poll itself cover more parts.

I also think having the ability to do multi-polls, like Connorfan mentioned, in a thread might be an idea of interest.

The "Ballot box" idea is the most interesting one so far. It would be an interesting place to get the Bloc vote on about a number of topics.

I am just saying that even though it isn't meant to be spam, it IS actually spamming up the forum. Not just my review thread but any threads are getting pushed down and that is a little unfair to any community member who starts a topic in "News" and has it pushed quickly to the next page.

It is similar to why we don't "bump" threads here. To give everyone equal chance to participate in the community.

It won't wreck my (bleep)mas or anything but I just wanted to point and discuss.

Lance may be right about the review not being up to snuff, but they can't all be as quality as his topics.

-Paul

Thanks to those who are keeping this civil and appreciate my opinion enough to post responses.

Old December 22nd, 2006   J-Liv is offline   #13
J-Liv
Frappuccino Jedi

It won't wreck my (bleep)mas or anything but I just wanted to point and discuss.
ddf
Paul_King View Post
A little off topic...but man, we really gotta find a way to collar the word filter. Sensoring the proper spelling of X-mas?

And yeah, I found the plethora of polls to be obnoxious. And they technically do consitute spam, as there are a multitude of ways that they could have been done without posting four simultaneous threads.

-J

Old December 22nd, 2006   Not My Real Name is offline   #14
Not My Real Name*
The Invisible Horseman

A little off topic...but man, we really gotta find a way to collar the word filter. Sensoring the proper spelling of X-mas?
ddf
J-Liv View Post
Pssst.

Over here.

Yeah, you.

That's not the word filter, that's Paul continuing a (fantastic, in my opinion) joke he started in the Debate forum. Check out the Holiday Tree thread.
Last edited by Not My Real Name; December 22nd, 2006 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Changed the format a little

II + II = VII
Old December 22nd, 2006   Paul_King is offline   #15
Paul_King
Make Mine Marvel Cosmic!

Pssst.

Over here.

Yeah, you.

That's not the word filter, that's Paul continuing a (fantastic, in my opinion) joke he started in the Debate forum. Check out the Holiday Tree thread.
ddf
Not My Real Name View Post
I can't take full credit.

For you this year, Mario:

The origin of (bleep)mas

Merry frickin' Winter!

-Paul

Old December 22nd, 2006   TJLamb0518 is offline   #16
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

As a new crop of these polls are showing up AGAIN, I'm more and more inclined to agree that this is getting to the point of board hogging.

I wonder if he knows this thread even exists. He's always seemed like a considerate guy and I'm sure he would want to know if people are being put off....

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio