The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old October 14th, 2014   RoseWilson is offline   #65
RoseWilson
Advanced Geoffan

Don't think he's trying to sound Aussie? Their are several different regional accents in England maybe his just isn't one your used to? I don't particularly like the show and might well be jumping off board but Alfred is hardly the weakest point of the show IMO.

Old October 14th, 2014   chrisbenes is offline   #66
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

Don't think he's trying to sound Aussie? Their are several different regional accents in England maybe his just isn't one your used to? I don't particularly like the show and might well be jumping off board but Alfred is hardly the weakest point of the show IMO.
ddf
RoseWilson View Post
and I agree....But to be honest...I've never in my entire life heard a brit talk like that.

obviously they do but I've never heard it and I've been there too.

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old October 14th, 2014   WeirdoLegionnaire is offline   #67
WeirdoLegionnaire
Yeah, that's the ticket!

Sean Pertwee sounds British enough to me, I think people hearing Australian are the same people who think the Geico Gecko is Australian.

Also the show's growing on me; it took a few weeks for me to understand the tone. This isn't the super-serious world of the Nolan movies. It's like a third Nolan, a third Burton, and a third it's own beast. Gotham is a WEIRD place with WEIRD people and it keeps getting weirder every day.

Old October 14th, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #68
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

ddf
RoseWilson View Post
True. I'm just pointing out one. There's too many for me. I'm done with the show.

Old October 14th, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #69
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

Sean Pertwee sounds British enough to me, I think people hearing Australian are the same people who think the Geico Gecko is Australian.

Also the show's growing on me; it took a few weeks for me to understand the tone. This isn't the super-serious world of the Nolan movies. It's like a third Nolan, a third Burton, and a third it's own beast. Gotham is a WEIRD place with WEIRD people and it keeps getting weirder every day.
ddf
WeirdoLegionnaire View Post
I like weird. Jada's portrayal is hammy and generic. Mob bosses are generic. (I love the Sopranos.)

Gordon's action was stupid; shoot the balloon, don't grab onto it! Montoya, a character I like, is not likeable.

I'm okay with deviations from the source material, which I expect and understand. My problems with the show is not the weirdness, but weak characters (weak acting?).

I love, love the Walking Dead. They have a lot of deviations from the comics, but characters not even featured in the comics are strong characters that I totally love immediately. Daryl Dixon is one example. Carol on the tv show is different than the comics; her evolution has been incredible. Season 5 premiere she freaking kicked ass.

Old October 14th, 2014   Scott Mateo is offline   #70
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

The way they've crammed all those villains in the first episode it felt like a step up from Dick Tracy.

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old October 15th, 2014   Greg Waite is offline   #71
Greg Waite
Uber Geoffan

I'm willing to watch Gotham a little while longer but it's not growing on me.

I like Gordon and Bullock. Alfred is starting to grow on me a bit.

It needs to really hook me and if it can't, then I'm done watching it.

"We can't be all heroes, because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by." Will Rogers
Old October 15th, 2014   flashsuper is offline   #72
flashsuper
My real name is Mike

I think part of the problem that some people have is that they are expecting or reaching for fruit that isn't there. Namely the characters that they are more familiar with, than the origins and history of Gotham and its inhabitants in a much broader scope. Has there really been much pre-Batman Gotham City storytelling out there in the comic medium? No, not really and people don't know what to expect. Any young Jim Gordon or Harvey Bullock or Selina Kyle or Eddie Nigma etc.? No. Very much corrupt Gotham ten years before Batman? No. It's all rather new territory I feel and people don't know what to expect.

I am enjoying it a lot and hope to see a good take on it.

I have had a rebirth.
Old October 15th, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #73
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

I think part of the problem that some people have is that they are expecting or reaching for fruit that isn't there. Namely the characters that they are more familiar with, than the origins and history of Gotham and its inhabitants in a much broader scope. Has there really been much pre-Batman Gotham City storytelling out there in the comic medium? No, not really and people don't know what to expect. Any young Jim Gordon or Harvey Bullock or Selina Kyle or Eddie Nigma etc.? No. Very much corrupt Gotham ten years before Batman? No. It's all rather new territory I feel and people don't know what to expect.

ddf
flashsuper View Post
That's good you're enjoying it.

Again, deviations from the source material is expected, and strong writing gives strong characters. An example, Marvel Movie universe is different than Marvel Comics universe, and they feature strong characters.

What you're saying may be true for someone else. My issues are weak character doing idiotic things, unlikeable characters (Renee Montoya), generic characters (mob bosses), and weak acting (Jada Pinkett).

Old October 17th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #74
Amentep

The way they've crammed all those villains in the first episode it felt like a step up from Dick Tracy.
ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
At least they didn't all pile into three cars and try to escape through a police blockade and a hail of bullets...

ddf
flashsuper View Post
Well my take on it is I don't really care for Jim Gordon, I don't like Harvey Bullock or Renee Montoya. And I didn't understand why Bruce Wayne is being shown as a mini-Batman already (at least that's how he's seemed in the few scenes I've seen with him).

I did really like the Penguin take and the actor cast and Jada's Mooney is a bit out there but an appreciated outrageous crime leader. I'd probably watch the show if it was about young Penguin trying to navigate the crime bosses and set himself up with Mooney as a primary antagonist for him.

Old October 17th, 2014   RoseWilson is offline   #75
RoseWilson
Advanced Geoffan

I think Donal Logue is a good actor I really liked him recently in Copper but it's almost like everyone in this was given actual direction to overact. I think like their trying so hard to make Gotham dark and Noir that the lines are delivered in the over the type style of Sin City much of the time. Whatever criticism there could be of the Young attractive cast or soapy CW elements IMO Arrow does a much better job of capturing the mood of a dark super hero vigilante and the city that contains such.

Old October 17th, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #76
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

Donal Logue is doing a great job. I too think he's a good actor.

Old October 18th, 2014   Greg Waite is offline   #77
Greg Waite
Uber Geoffan

Donal is a solid actor. I really enjoyed him in Sons of Anarchy (limited role but still).

"We can't be all heroes, because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by." Will Rogers
Old November 3rd, 2015   Gunsmoke is offline   #78
Gunsmoke
Neo Geoffan

Corey Michael Smith(Riddler) talks about his Season 2 storylines.

http://screenrant.com/gotham-season-...ler-storyline/