The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old April 22nd, 2013   starks is offline   #1
starks
Geoffan

Default Red Hood & The Outlaws #19 Discussion

Jason Todd is purging his past at the All-Caste, while Arsenal & Starfire try to locate him.

I was hoping more from new writer James Tynion. Maybe it's going to take a couple of issues to "purge" the title itself to get it where he wants it to be and then he can start things his way.

I don't like the all-caste part of this title. I don't see Jason Todd / Red Hood as a mystical character, or one that has mystical elements to him anyway. It's getting a bit Jedi-ish in a way, especially this issue. I think Tynion needs to eliminate this part of the title / character all together.

And I'm no prude, but they really need to put some clothes on Starfire. She needs a new redesign, like yesterday.

I think this should be a solo title, as I still don't get what makes these characters outlaws and why they're even together.

The art (Mico Suayan) needs to improve or get a new artist.

Old April 30th, 2013   Matches is offline   #2
Matches
stepping aside

I agree with much of your criticism. I don't mind the All-Caste's inclusion in the series, necessarily, because tonally it gives the series a different feel than the other Bat-titles (and let's face it, Starfire's one of the three leads, the book isn't ever going to be crime/ noir). Amnesiac Jason doesn't seem remotely interesting to me, though. It seems like story after story in this series is about Jason and/or Roy dealing with their pasts, and it's become rote.

The art (by Julian Gopez - Suayan was subbed out) didn't do the book any favors. Totally agreed about Starfire's costume, which is absurd even by superhero standards. They might as well just draw her naked and cover up her bits with strategically placed hair and whatnot.

A miss. Unfortunate as I've enjoyed Tynion's work elsewhere.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old April 30th, 2013   Outside_85 is offline   #3
Outside_85
persona non grata

I am actually a bit curious; who or what is Todd going to be if he doesn't have his past to define him?

Old April 30th, 2013   chasm is offline   #4
chasm
Master Geoffan

The sad part is, the mix of these three characters is an interesting premise. Sort of like an offshoot of the Teen Titans that never was. Unfortunately, Jason is like every other disciple of the Bat, the default leader and always irresistibly handsome, the perfect warrior, etc. Starfire, for all her power & tragic past, is just the obligatory sex kitten. Roy...slacker hero?

The execution has fallen far short of the promise.

Old May 1st, 2013   Outside_85 is offline   #5
Outside_85
persona non grata

The sad part is, the mix of these three characters is an interesting premise. Sort of like an offshoot of the Teen Titans that never was. Unfortunately, Jason is like every other disciple of the Bat, the default leader and always irresistibly handsome, the perfect warrior, etc. Starfire, for all her power & tragic past, is just the obligatory sex kitten. Roy...slacker hero?

The execution has fallen far short of the promise.
ddf
chasm View Post
Funny to think they would have cured one of those issues if they hadn't magically healed Jason's acid burns.