The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old October 19th, 2010   jafabian is offline   #1
jafabian
Iím not dead.

Arrow SPOILERS: Legion of Super-Heroes issue #6 Preview & Discussion

NEWSARAMA PREVIEW.

Written by PAUL LEVITZ
Art and cover by YILDIRAY CINAR & WAYNE FAUCHER
Variant cover by JIM LEE & SCOTT WILLIAMS
The first storyline ends here after issue #5's shocking last page! (Didn't see that one coming, didja?) Legion leader Cosmic Boy makes a drastic decision, that will affect the next year's worth of LEGION stories. And the quest to build up the 31st century Green Lantern Corps continues!
ddf

Old October 21st, 2010   chasm is offline   #2
chasm
Master Geoffan

This issue was excellent. Great characterization, new plotlines launched and new characters introduced. This is what I have been waiting for in the Legion for a long, long time.

Thanks Paul!!

Old October 21st, 2010   imarriedsatanII is offline   #3
imarriedsatanII
Horseman of the Calypso

FINALLY! With issue #6 I feel like I'm reading Paul Levitz writing the LoSH again!

I'll start with my only gripe: the shuffling off panel of six characters. The up side of which is Levitz may be setting them up for future stories in which they star. Or he may just be clearing the way for the characters he wants to focus on. It IS a large cast... I just happen to be very fond of at least three of the six.

Now, for the good.

The characters are starting to interact in a way that seems familiar. PG and Shady act like they've been longtime friends. Tasmia recalls she's a warrior. Earthman is starting to grow on me, much to my own surprise. Brainy's special flight ring for EM purpose is revealed. It was nice to see Yera and Gim interact with his mom, and a nod to her time as Earth President. I always love seeing Gigi. A question about a former Legion couple is answered (heh!). Plus, the art in the main story was superior to what we've been seeing.

And then there's the back-up story.

Jimenez should be drawing the entire series (with the inevitable fill-ins when neccesary). Jeez! I love the new characters introduced! A nod to a fallen Legionaire, a nod to Dave Cockrum's costume design, Duplicate Damsel (or is it "Duplicate Girl" now?), a post-COIE Legion Academy with many characters not seen since, a Jimenez-drawn Timber Wolf (always sexy!), an answer to Magnetic Kid's fate since he was last seen, and a possible resurrection of an old favorite of mine (and I sincerely hope it's not a fake-out!) I REALLY hope this back-up runs for a good long while!

"Something profound" - Me
Old October 21st, 2010   jafabian is offline   #4
jafabian
Iím not dead.

Wish they'd draw Yera as Giffen originally designed her, with larger ears, smaller antennae, arched eyebrows and no hair. It was a better look for her. And is she officially a Legionaire? A part of the team?

I also think the White Triangle needs to return. IMO, things are reverting back to "normal" too quickly. Xenophobia should be the norm and not the exception and the White Triangle should be the Taliban of the 31st century.

Old October 21st, 2010   Ramon is offline   #5
Ramon
Geoffan

FINALLY! With issue #6 I feel like I'm reading Paul Levitz writing the LoSH again!

I'll start with my only gripe: the shuffling off panel of six characters. The up side of which is Levitz may be setting them up for future stories in which they star. Or he may just be clearing the way for the characters he wants to focus on. It IS a large cast... I just happen to be very fond of at least three of the six.

Now, for the good.

The characters are starting to interact in a way that seems familiar. PG and Shady act like they've been longtime friends. Tasmia recalls she's a warrior. Earthman is starting to grow on me, much to my own surprise. Brainy's special flight ring for EM purpose is revealed. It was nice to see Yera and Gim interact with his mom, and a nod to her time as Earth President. I always love seeing Gigi. A question about a former Legion couple is answered (heh!). Plus, the art in the main story was superior to what we've been seeing.

And then there's the back-up story.

Jimenez should be drawing the entire series (with the inevitable fill-ins when neccesary). Jeez! I love the new characters introduced! A nod to a fallen Legionaire, a nod to Dave Cockrum's costume design, Duplicate Damsel (or is it "Duplicate Girl" now?), a post-COIE Legion Academy with many characters not seen since, a Jimenez-drawn Timber Wolf (always sexy!), an answer to Magnetic Kid's fate since he was last seen, and a possible resurrection of an old favorite of mine (and I sincerely hope it's not a fake-out!) I REALLY hope this back-up runs for a good long while!
ddf
imarriedsatanII View Post
This was a fantastic issue, maybe the best of the series so far.
Levitz is back in full strengh ! the first five issues where good but this one is clearly a transition issue that is opening the door for future stories in a way only Levitz can, and the legionnaires are sounding more like themselves than ever.
I am very glad tasmia is getting a little spotlight and as a strong woman too, I recently reread most of Paul's previous run and Shadow lass was one of the few legionnaires he neglected a little bit, maybe due to the fact that Mon-El was always a favorite of him and Shady was always featured as a part of the Mon-el story but she never was the main caharacter. Star Boy suffered that same fate way due to paul doing wonders with Dream Girl.

LOVED ! the two pages with sensor about the Universe filling the void of Karate Kid. That is classic Levitz, he takes a weird concept or idea that he did not even started (karate Kid being alive again after having been killed... he did not even know how can it be possible that KK died in Countdown since he had died already) and he is developing an interesting story that can have elemts of magic, a curse or even paralel earths. I am very impressed. I should not be, I know levitz is a very talented writer, but I was still very pleasantly surprised.

Starting to like Earth Man too and his relationship with Brainy, Tasmia and Sun Boy.
Can't wait to see more of Tyroc, Gates, Dream Girl and Invisble Kid II.

Quit killing Titans !!!
Old October 22nd, 2010   SGiacomelli is offline   #6
SGiacomelli

Damn, Jimenez brought it. This is the most LOSH-like issue of this run so far. I had to keep checking that I wasn't reading a baxter issue by mistake!

Old October 22nd, 2010   JRM is offline   #7
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Damn, Jimenez brought it. This is the most LOSH-like issue of this run so far. I had to keep checking that I wasn't reading a baxter issue by mistake!
ddf
SGiacomelli View Post
Agreed, it felt like an old friend again, I'm glad that we are mostly past the point of all the (for me lame) plots developed over the previous few years have run their course and he can start developing the team to suit his much stronger vision for the team.

Way to go Paul, in bringing back the magic.

L.L.L.

jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old October 26th, 2010   Cloud101 is offline   #8
Cloud101

Yes! Karate Kid! I thought Paul wouldn't use him, but here he is. I also like the design. Can't wait to see more of this champion.

Old October 26th, 2010   JRM is offline   #9
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Yes! Karate Kid! I thought Paul wouldn't use him, but here he is. I also like the design. Can't wait to see more of this champion.
ddf
Cloud101 View Post
Hey it was Kieth who took the hit out on Val, Paul just plotted it ...

Jim

Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old October 27th, 2010   leonmallett is offline   #10
leonmallett
comics fan

The (first) death of Karate Kid was one of the most emotive comic book I have ever read.

I am really enjoying this series so far. I think there is so much more around the Earth Man plot to come, and the Academy students looked great (except for Gravity Kid's costume - it reminded me too much of the 70's design pre re-addition of pink panels - not a look I cared for). I also liked that there appear to be far more students than we saw in action.

The new 52 - probably not for me...
Old October 27th, 2010   curiouswanderer is offline   #11
curiouswanderer
O'Brian Tallent

This. Was. Fantastic!!! This felt just like reading a Legion comic...and it was great! I loved Paul's jumping from member to member and showing off a little bit of each yet still giving us enough to know what's going on but without leaving us feeling like we walked in on the middle of a conversation and dont have a clue.
Also, this really was the best art of the series. I hate to say it, but Cinar's work has really just left me a little meh. Portela did a great job.

The Legion Academy...man I really REALLY hope Phil is able to stick around for when that moves over to Adventure Comics. I've always loved his art and he certainly doesn't disappoint. I loved the new kids and their costumes...especially Dragonwing and Gravity Kid. It was also great to see Comet Queen again! She was always a favorite (plus Nightwind and Lamprey.)

This was just a great book over all.

Havenplace Community Youth Center

My curiouswandering Space

Not all who wander are lost. ~JRR Tolkien
Old October 29th, 2010   scion969 is offline   #12
scion969
Advanced Geoffan

Be nice to see the tremendous amount of story we must have skipped that would've properly explained Shady...

Old October 29th, 2010   JRM is offline   #13
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Be nice to see the tremendous amount of story we must have skipped that would've properly explained Shady...
ddf
scion969 View Post
Really do wish Paul would at least rough out for us, especially the changes made to his own work. We know Pol is dead and most of the stuff upto the Universo Project is still in place, but is Gim's Starfinger story in, how or even did the Conspiracy story happen, what of Shady and Mon's mariage? She didn't have a tip of her finger off in the last issue ... so I guess it is a no. Has some version of the Magic War Happen and what was the out-come? Not really looking for things to be re-done but they can to some degree reference things so we can put things into context. That has geneally always been a strong element of the Legion (most all versions), and it is one that I hope returns.

Jim

The LSH ... RIP
Old October 29th, 2010   MattDiCarlo is offline   #14
MattDiCarlo
Threat or Menace?

I really do enjoy this for what it is. Here's how I know I'm enjoying a run on LSH: I wish that there was more of it to read, right now. That's how I feel with the book currently.

Old October 29th, 2010   JRM is offline   #15
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

I really do enjoy this for what it is. Here's how I know I'm enjoying a run on LSH: I wish that there was more of it to read, right now. That's how I feel with the book currently.
ddf
MattDiCarlo View Post
So do I - going to be glad when for a while we are going to be getting two books set in the 31St Century written by Paul.

Jim

The LSH ... RIP
Old November 3rd, 2010   J.D.Lombardi is offline   #16
J.D.Lombardi
Devil's Advocate

Great issue and gorgeous art all around. I haven't seen comic women this hot inna long time! lol Between that hot shot of Salu and Ayla...and my blue alien dream gal...well....yeah.

Seriously though, it is good to have the Legion BACK in the light they belong.

Founder, Senior Features Editor at www.pop-topia.com