The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old May 19th, 2006   BART ALLEN is offline   #1
BART ALLEN
pre 52 and proud of it

Default local comic book store ?

I work at my local comic books store, and I have a question has the guy working at your local comic book store ever told you they did not like a book when you asked about it?

are they honest, or do you feel they should lie to sell a book? I ask because a book came out this week that i in good faith can not tell people they should buy (i am not saying what book but you can probally figure it out) so should i say it is great
any way?

Most people can just quit a book not buy it and never think about it again I have to sell stuff that i find Bad, or offensive to a character

Looking for the light in a land of forever night
Old May 19th, 2006   chimera is offline   #2
chimera
Neo Geoffan

Yes...the owner of my LCS has not liked Nightwing since OYL and asked me about my feelings since it is on my pull list...he has always been straight forward and honest about what he likes and dislikes and will tell you...if he recommends a book that you don't get, he will let you take it home and "try" it out...he will take it back if you don't like it....don't lie about the book...you are entitled to your opinion

Old May 19th, 2006   TonyReese is offline   #3
TonyReese
I can see you too.

I don't have that problem. My LCS is run by a guy, his mom, and his wife. As far as I know, his wife is the only one presently keeping up with reading comics (she's a DC head like me). The mother is the clerk since her son works as a teacher, she doesn't read comics so she pushes everything. LOL.

Once I did work part time in a comic shop several years back. I just answered such inquiries with "I don't like this, it's not to my taste, but it may be to your's." I think honesty with the customer is key, if they still are curious about the book then they can buy it. I would never reject a sale unless it's a mature readers book to a minor.

Continuity hamstrings story and keeps comics inaccessible to casual readers. Consistency’d be the more important thing. -Keith Giffen
Old May 19th, 2006   Nightwing826 is offline   #4
Nightwing826
The New Champion

Mine has kinda been, so so. He doesn't say too much.

The biggest Freddy Freeman fan.
Old May 19th, 2006   Lundonj is offline   #5
Lundonj
Haggard Horseman

Since I've been on both sides of the counter, I only offer my thoughts on a book when asked. Although, I usually asked what some of their favorites are before I inflicted my tastes on them.

Honest is one thing, but if a costumer has very different preferences than me, I don't understand the comic shop owners/employees who discourage a sale. Shops with the elitist "we know what is good for you" attitudes are places I never return to.

All that said, if someone asks more about what I like or don't like, I explain potential appeal but note what aspects didn't work for me.

Nearly every comic sold has some kind of audience that likes it, or the characters, setting, etc. There may be a comic out there universally panned, but the capitalist in me always leans towards potential sales. Instead of mocking a comic I don't like in front of people who may like it despite my perception.

It would sort of be like working at a hamburger joint and saying, "Don't eat here, these things will kill ya'!" Honest perhaps, but not long for business.

-Don

By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth. -- George Carlin
Old May 19th, 2006   Ryan Higgins is offline   #6
Ryan Higgins
Geoffan

I'm a bit too honest on my feelings on books...

Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
408-245-6275
[email protected]
Old May 19th, 2006   Fletcher Hawke is offline   #7
Fletcher Hawke
Rum and Arrows Horseman

AllStar Batman and Robin. The guy lambasted it (even if his folks really run the place while he does real estate, it's his place). Otherwise, the worst out of him is "eeeeh, I don't really like that one." But that one he just couldn't find much nice to say about (even as a Lee fan). Wonder why...

It would sort of be like working at a hamburger joint and saying, "Don't eat here, these things will kill ya'!" Honest perhaps, but not long for business.
ddf
Lundonj
There is also a restaraunt in town where the waitstaff will tell you right out, "Don't get anything pasta." It is best to listen to them.

Old May 19th, 2006   Atom is offline   #8
Atom
Gone. Gone. Gone.

I get honest opinions from my LCS guy. He and I can sit and talk about books and choose not to agree on them. Makes it more interesting to be able to talk about them with someone who has a differing viewpoint.

For example, he thinks Battle for Bludhaven is a poorly chosen premise. The government choosing to wall up a major city and just either trap the citizens within or force them out is somewhat preposterous. Where he chooses to have a failure to suspend his belief in such matters, I choose to overlook the whole concept there and just enjoy the story. We both agree it's fairly well written, so we can find common ground somewhere.

Webmaster of the Former Unofficial Homepage of the Atom - all good things must come to an end...
Old May 19th, 2006   iggyssj4 is offline   #9
iggyssj4
Geoffan

Location: South Carolina: Voted "Most Likely to Secede" since 1832.

Honesty is always the best policy. My lcs tells me when they think something sucks. Of course, they always include that my money might be better invested in another title that they think is great.

The formula of my happiness: a Yes, a No, a straight line, a goal. -F.W. Nietzsche
Old May 19th, 2006   ConnorFan is offline   #10
ConnorFan
aka Alex Violette

The guy who runs my LCS is anti DC, he doesnt read DC, to the point where he was stressing a bit because he felt almost compelled to read Infinite Crisis because he was getting questions about it.

Also he's had some colorful things to say about the new books that are coming out... he isnt exactly shy about his opinion. Which is fine with me, though he did bug me for a bit trying to get me to read Whedon's Xmen.

Old May 19th, 2006   hshaukat is offline   #11
hshaukat

The owner of my LCS is very straighforward about what he likes and doesn't like. Although, he doesn't tell you unless you ask, and it's always couched as "it's just my opinion, but I think..."

He and I have differed on a few titles, but it's nice to know that he's willing to share his honest opinion with me if I ask.

Old May 19th, 2006   Earth2Comics is offline   #12
Earth2Comics

If you are not the owner or manager of the store, you may want to check with them to see what the store's policy is since they are your boss and may have some suggestions.

There are ways to have an honest dialogue with a customer without actively discouraging sales.

That book I think you are referring to is a book that people have been calling us every week for the last 3 months asking us if it's arrived yet. So some people like it and can't wait for the next issue.

Carr D'Angelo
Earth-2 Comics
"Where Legends Live"

15017 Ventura Blvd.
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
earth2comics.com
Old May 19th, 2006   Earth2Comics is offline   #13
Earth2Comics

ddf
Ryan Higgins
Do you feel it has an effect on business?

Carr D'Angelo
Earth-2 Comics
"Where Legends Live"

15017 Ventura Blvd.
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
earth2comics.com
Old May 19th, 2006   sonichellboy is offline   #14
sonichellboy
Madvillain

ddf
Ryan Higgins
I have been too, but I try not to offer an opinion unless asked. There have been times when one of the customers will debate the relative merits of a book with me, but we're never rude about it. I've spoiled quite a few comics for the owner that way though, as she never has the time to read anything.

"Within every foe having met defeat waits a beneficial energy to be released"-Grand Buffet

The Long and Short of It
Old May 19th, 2006   supergirl11 is offline   #15
supergirl11
Do you feel?

My comic guy dosen't say much, ok I'm not one to bring up much conversation either. But he has made some comments reguarding his distastes for certain books. And more often i've herd him on the phone with costumers discussing certain books. I mean people don't exspect you to like every single book you read. But then again my guy never fails to remind me what i "forgot" to put in my stack...not that i mind, i mean usally do forget.

So stare and see that this is me,
and I will be just what I need to believe
that something is what I'm gonna be.
Old May 19th, 2006   DeTroyes is offline   #16
DeTroyes
Dagnabbit!

Location: Miskatonic University, Dept. of Ancient Manuscripts

If I ask somebody for their opinion, I will generally listen and judge accordingly. However, if someone were to comment out-of-the-blue and unasked for on something I was buying, and telling me it was crap, then I would probably withdraw my business from that store and look for another. I don't need someone telling me what I should or should not read or spend my money on. I know what I like and what I don't like, and if I don't like something, I'll stop buying - its as simple as that. Its like a number of the discussions we have around here - everyone's going to have different opinions about certain things, and none of us are ever going to agree completely on whats great and what's not.

By all means, be honest. But just because you don't like something doesn't mean the person you are talking to will as well. Tell them why you don't like it, but allow for the possibility that someone else coming at it from a different perspective will have a different take on it.

As they say, in the end, its just comics.

Beast Boy/Raven 'shipper

Where is John Galt?

Looking for meaning, searching for answers, finding nothing but loose change and pocket lint.