The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > The Comic Shop: Creators > Ethan Van Sciver

Old June 21st, 2009   DoctorDecipher is offline   #1
DoctorDecipher
persona non grata

Default Superhero Physicality

I would personally like to see only those superheroes whose powers derive from physical strength or intense physical training, be depicted with muscle-bound bodies.

For one thing, depicting all super-heroes as muscle-bound, just because they're super-heroes, becomes monotonous. Since Hal Jordan is a test pilot, and test pilots should not be heavy, it doesn't make sense for Hal Jordan to be enormously tall or bulky. If you want to depict him as sinewy, that's one thing, but to depict him as tall and muscle-bound does not make sense -- I think bucking the tradition of muscle-bound superheroes in his case would make things very interesting.

Also, does it make sense that the Flash could run at the speed of light, being enormously muscle-bound as he is still being depicted as being? No. Try making him a bit more lithe instead.

It makes sense for Superman to be huge and muscle-bound. It also makes some sense for Batman to be physically fit, although I don't think he should be as muscle-bound as he is still being depicted, either, because it would be harder to move around quickly with all that extra mass. A more Bruce Lee physique would make sense on him.

Thanks for reading.

Old June 22nd, 2009   Sentinel119 is offline   #2
Sentinel119
Supreme Geoffan

I would personally like to see only those superheroes whose powers derive from physical strength or intense physical training, be depicted with muscle-bound bodies.

For one thing, depicting all super-heroes as muscle-bound, just because they're super-heroes, becomes monotonous. Since Hal Jordan is a test pilot, and test pilots should not be heavy, it doesn't make sense for Hal Jordan to be enormously tall or bulky. If you want to depict him as sinewy, that's one thing, but to depict him as tall and muscle-bound does not make sense -- I think bucking the tradition of muscle-bound superheroes in his case would make things very interesting.

Also, does it make sense that the Flash could run at the speed of light, being enormously muscle-bound as he is still being depicted as being? No. Try making him a bit more lithe instead.

It makes sense for Superman to be huge and muscle-bound. It also makes some sense for Batman to be physically fit, although I don't think he should be as muscle-bound as he is still being depicted, either, because it would be harder to move around quickly with all that extra mass. A more Bruce Lee physique would make sense on him.

Thanks for reading.
ddf
DoctorDecipher View Post
Barry was originally depicted as having a runner's body, so he was thin and toned. Wally on the other hand was shown early on in his Flash career hitting the gym so it would make sense for him to have more muscle.

"Bible, Wrath of Kahn. What's the difference?"
Cyclops was Right
Old June 28th, 2009   Ethan Van Sciver is offline   #3
Ethan Van Sciver

Thanks for reading.
ddf
DoctorDecipher View Post
Good ideas! Draw your own comics, with superheroes looking the way you think they should look!

Ethan

Old June 29th, 2009   fastestmanalive is offline   #4
fastestmanalive

I mostly agree with you guys about characters physicality’s;
it would be nice if comic artists showed more of a difference between them. On that point I can't think of many artists whose male faces look that different.

Ethan does draw everyone with fairly similar physicality’s...

BUT I don't believe that there is any such thing as a definitive interpretation of a character and as an A-list artist Mr V. is fully in his right to stamp his style of Physicality on his version of Barry and Wally.

I think his strengths are design, storytelling, expressions and page layout (and internet sarcasm )
His weaknesses might be proportion and generic body types

I love the work he is doing, and I am excited to see how he progresses as an artist in his career. I think he'll go down in history as one of the greats also due to the amount of high exposure work he does.

Old July 9th, 2009   Terry Sloane is offline   #5
Terry Sloane
Master Geoffan

Good ideas! Draw your own comics, with superheroes looking the way you think they should look!

Ethan
ddf
Ethan Van Sciver View Post
My stick figure comics never caught on. I did draw "The Justice League of Fish" for my son, though, and it was really good. I found it the other day. Brain Coral was one bad-a$$ super villain. All in fat washable markers.

Old July 9th, 2009   1peace is offline   #6
1peace
Master Geoffan

it is a tradition. It would make the look of books more interesting.
As far as what character should be buff or not, you know, Superman doesn't really work out does he? Unless the sun makes him bulky he might look like a scrawny guy just who's uber strong. And I'm surprised how fast some big guys can move. Mike Tyson was amazingly quick. And a lot of bodybuilders are very flexible. But it does make it more interesting to see different body types. There are a few heroes that are consistently thin or sinewy. Spiderman, Cyclops, Daredevil (most of the time). the 1st Grendel was always thin. I've yet to see a superbuff Question. But I remember someone took this into consideration in a Star Trek X-men crossover book once. Kirk , Spock and the crew looked like normal people and the X-men looked like they walked off the steroid users bodybuilders competition stage. it was kind of funny.

But Womens bodies get similar buff or fluff treatment as well. Could there be a short spry demure female superhero. Most are tall and buxom. Although I love the rendition of wonder women in the New Frontier, Pleasingly Plump, wowser.

But part of the reason superheros are drawn that way is that the artist are drawing the "heroic" stature (8 heads tall etc.). It immediately conveys Hero, compared to the normal guy. It's a set of proportions that have been played with in art in the west at least since old Greece.

old habits

peace
Last edited by 1peace; July 9th, 2009 at 07:06 AM.

Old July 10th, 2009   The Yellow Kid is offline   #7
The Yellow Kid*
You look... ready.

Default Superhero physicality...

In a real world depiction, a lot of the heroes would look a great deal less muscle bound. Think about it- save for bodybuilders, how many professional athletes are huge and ripped all the time? How many soldiers. police or firemen? Most of these people look... toned and in shape. Not sinewy, not musclebound, but more... firm.

Assuming superior genes, and constant exertion, I think the look would be more akin to a world class gymnast.

But.

Comics ain't the real world.

Part of the reason for the heroes looking as they do- to sell the idea that they are potent, powerful people. Superman who looked like a triathlete? Be hard to buy him lifting a building into space. Batman without bulging muscles- or Steve Rogers? Hard to buy them as serious forces for justice.

It may be that we're all conditioned by the history of the medium... Still... Slimmed down and more rational looking heroes... won't look right. Not considering what they face, what we are supposed to believe they can do.

Goldblum outtttt.....

Yer Pal,
The Yellow Kid
Old July 15th, 2009   Ethan Van Sciver is offline   #8
Ethan Van Sciver

I personally don't see the virtue in making superheroes less superheroic looking. I don't like it as a reader, and I don't do it as an artist. But everyone has their own ideas, and everyone should try new things out.

EVS