The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old June 11th, 2013   Alan is offline   #1
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

Default Man Of Steel good review shock!

Well, this looks promising. I wasn't expecting much to be honest, now I have some hope!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/62812

Old June 11th, 2013   chrisbenes is offline   #2
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

guess it depends on where you read your reviews. I've read a few poor reviews and Rotten Tomatoes only has it at 71% right now.

Still looking forward to seeing this as I have high hopes for this film....But this film is also important for the future of DC Comic movies....the problem I see is that I don't necessarily believe the box office numbers will reflect the quality of this movie. I think this movie makes a ton of money just on it's name and history and by today's standard of success movies are judged by how much it makes and not the quality of the movie itself.

The reviews are mixed...But I will reserve judgement until I see the movie myself next week.

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old June 11th, 2013   Mr. Wrong is offline   #3
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Well, this looks promising. I wasn't expecting much to be honest, now I have some hope!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/62812
ddf
Alan View Post
Same here. Thanks for the link! Maybe there is hope for the film.

My son is the exact same age (almost to the day!) I was when Donner's first Superman film came out, and I would like to take him to see it, just like my dad did back then. I just want to know beforehand that this Superman will be... Superman. Sure wish there was a scene in one of the trailers where he smiles a little.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old June 11th, 2013   superfriend is offline   #4
superfriend
laughs at comics

well, see, on his world, the symbol on his chest means hope.

guys.

he's got all kinds of hope hope hopey Mchope that he wants to bring us. guys

observe everything, admire nothing
Old June 11th, 2013   Scott Mateo is offline   #5
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

Same here. Thanks for the link! Maybe there is hope for the film.

My son is the exact same age (almost to the day!) I was when Donner's first Superman film came out, and I would like to take him to see it, just like my dad did back then. I just want to know beforehand that this Superman will be... Superman. Sure wish there was a scene in one of the trailers where he smiles a little.
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
I read one spoilery review in which SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
it says Lois learns his identity early on. That and the obvious collateral damage when Supes throws Zod through a skyscraper.

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old June 11th, 2013   Simon DelMonte is offline   #6
Simon DelMonte
Diehard DCU & Mets Fan

Trying hard to be optimistic. But so far, I am convinced this will be dour and play up all the things about Supes I don't think are what he actually should be.

Simon DelMonte
Old June 11th, 2013   ronaldj is offline   #7
ronaldj
Supreme Geoffan

the people on the superman home page gave it a great review,,,,

One day I'll be done with this, but for now, once more into the fray. Thom
Old June 12th, 2013   superfriend is offline   #8
superfriend
laughs at comics

in all seriousness, this is going to slay.

observe everything, admire nothing
Old June 14th, 2013   scion969 is offline   #9
scion969
Advanced Geoffan

I enjoyed the heck out of it. With only very minor complaints, I thought it did a great job of spreading the character stuff throughout the movie. The action was Action.

Thumbs up.

Old June 14th, 2013   Scott Mateo is offline   #10
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

Mark Waid's review

I was going to see it today, but after reading Waid's review, probably not.

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old June 14th, 2013   Terry Sloane is offline   #11
Terry Sloane
Master Geoffan

I'm not letting any reviews keep me on the fence - I am taking my son to see it in 3D IMAX this weekend!

Old June 14th, 2013   Mr. Wrong is offline   #12
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

WARNING: BIG TIME DISAPPOINTMENT, RESENTMENT, and ANGER EXPRESSED BELOW. THIS IS ME ON A SOAPBOX VENTING. IF YOU'RE SQUEAMISH ABOUT NEGATIVITY, PLEASE DON'T READ THIS POST.

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

I was going to take my son, but after reading Waid's review, there's no way I'm going to let his first big-screen experience climax with...

MAJOR SPOILER:
SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
...Superman breaking Zod's ****ing neck; not, mind you, in some random issue of a comic book that a few thousand people might read, that can be ignored with ease or "erased from continuity", no... this is how the world will see him from now on. A ****ing killer. GIVE ME A BREAK.**** YOU WARNER BROTHERS. **** YOU DC COMICS.

When a character who has been a symbol of all that is good and an embodiment of our aspirations has to be portrayed that way in order to make him "kewl" in the eyes of our lame-ass pop culture trend-mongers and the trend-junkie-whores who eagerly line up to suckle whatever manufactured, lifeless garbage they spew from their rotting, puss-filled teets, I mourn not only for the death-rattle of our innocence, but for the indifferent, almost gleeful way we cast it aside and gorge on our own darkest impulses.

Last nail in the coffin for an American fictional icon. He will live on, but from the sound of it the groundwork has been laid. It's official. Superman is not Superman anymore outside of the dusty back issue bins of fading comic shops. And judging from the multiple cluster-orgasms it seems to be causing amongst most critics and movie-goers, it will be a huge success, every dollar earned another grain of sand shoveled atop the casket of the character we have known. The Superman I knew and loved will not be seen again for a long, long time, if ever, outside of the occasional "retro" comic book story. This film's success will only validate the cynically-calculated and test-marketed version of Superman we have now as the "official" take on the character:

Not Clark Kent; the jaded alien Kal-El. Not the adopted son of Johnathan and Martha Kent; the son of Jor-El. Not a hero who never takes the easy way out, who never compromises the ideals and principles that guide him; a hero who will kill rather than dig deep and find another way. Not a protector of humanity and a guardian of human life; a violent brawler who views collateral damage not as unacceptable, but rather as an unfortunate side effect of the exercise of his vast powers.

If they wanted to do this, why not just make it a SUPREME movie?

I really wanted to take my son to see this, just like my dad did to see Superman:The Movie when I was my son's age and my dad was the age I am today. I don't think I can. To all involved in crafting this movie, **** YOU.

Old June 14th, 2013   Amentep is offline   #13
Amentep

As other people pointed out this is the character who killed and beat up (breaking a woman's hand) criminals in the Golden Age.

This is the character who, in the George Reeves series stranded criminals on a mountain and left them there because they discovered his true identity (with ultimately all of them dying as they tried to escape, IIRC)

The character who killed Zod and two other Kryptonian criminals in continuity once already with Byrne's reboot.

Does that mean I'll like this interpretation of things? I dunno. I'll have to see the movie to see if I think it "works".

Old June 14th, 2013   WeirdoLegionnaire is offline   #14
WeirdoLegionnaire
Yeah, that's the ticket!

Mr. Wrong - seems like you seriously need to chill out, it's a movie for crying out loud. And you haven't even seen it to get the context.

And as Amentep says:

The Golden Age Superman straight up messed people up. He's evolved a lot as a character, but he still has to evolve as a figure in the movie universe. For all intents and purposes, this is Action Comics #1 for the general populace

Old June 14th, 2013   Mr. Wrong is offline   #15
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Mr. Wrong - seems like you seriously need to chill out, it's a movie for crying out loud. And you haven't even seen it to get the context.

And as Amentep says:

The Golden Age Superman straight up messed people up. He's evolved a lot as a character, but he still has to evolve as a figure in the movie universe. For all intents and purposes, this is Action Comics #1 for the general populace

ddf
WeirdoLegionnaire View Post
I'm fine.
This is not not 1938. Superman was, by modern standards, a fascist and a bully in those proto-Superman tales.
There is no proper context in which SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
SUPERMAN IS A MURDERER.

Old June 14th, 2013   TJLamb0518 is offline   #16
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Reading Waid's review, it appears my summer of disappointment continues unabated. Be it Iron Man 3, Star Trek: Into Darkness or this. Sigh.

No Clark Kent as a reporter (until the end it seems)? Another long haul on Krypton? It seems like another long wait until he's Superman? More "I'm an alien. Woe is me."? And this Superman kills Zod outright?

I'm fearful I'll come away wistful for the sensibilities for the character that Green Lantern had. And that's saying a lot.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio