The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old July 27th, 2009   Geoff Johns is offline   #1
Geoff Johns
Premier

Default Smallville - Bringing the JSA to television

I get offered a lot of work in television and I turn nearly all of it down. My main job is DC Comics and my number one passion in life is DC Comics. But every once in awhile there comes along something that I really want to do. I had a great time on Legion last year and coming up this season I'll be introducing the Justice Society of America to Smallville!

Speculation on who will appear can start now. I can only say it won't be the obvious ones of Jay Garrick and Alan Scott.

Live action JSA. How cool is that?

Geoff

Remember if you don't read comics you help the enemy!!
Old July 27th, 2009   Eric Q is offline   #2
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

Would love to see...
Ted Knight
Ted Grant
Rex Tyler

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old July 27th, 2009   Dan Loayza is offline   #3
Dan Loayza
Whiteside Pawn

Ted Grant would seem the obvious one, since he's the most SFX budget friendly.

#HEEL
Old July 27th, 2009   God-Man is offline   #4
God-Man
God-Man Don't Socialize

I'm very curious to see how the JSA is portrayed on Smallville. Because there hasn't been the smallest hint about any superheroes operating before Green Arrow and the rest of the crew showed up in the present of the show, I can't see the JSA as public WWII-era crime fighters. I can see them as black ops types who secretly operated during the time.

Or maybe they're from a parallel Earth.

Or maybe they can be modern day rivals to GA's Justice League. While the JL works in secret, maybe the JSA could be a more public team, saving cats from trees, showing the League how superheroics are done "right"

Old July 27th, 2009   jon-el87 is offline   #5
jon-el87
Neo Geoffan

Would love to see Hawkman, Power Girl, Obsidian and Wildcat.

Old July 27th, 2009   jon-el87 is offline   #6
jon-el87
Neo Geoffan

I'm very curious to see how the JSA is portrayed on Smallville. Because there hasn't been the smallest hint about any superheroes operating before Green Arrow and the rest of the crew showed up in the present of the show, I can't see the JSA as public WWII-era crime fighters. I can see them as black ops types who secretly operated during the time.
ddf
God-Man View Post
I've considered the same thing. The only problem is that during WWII, the united states goverment would probably have used the JSA as propaganda and have them be in the newspapers and on posters all over the country.
However, I've considered the possibiliy that their origin will be that when the team disbanded in 1951, when Hawkman told the senators, that they wouldn't hear from them again, he meant it in an extremely litteral way. Which was then followed by the Spectre, Dr. Fate, the Thunderbolt and Green Lantern uniting their abilities and erased all memories of them from the entire world, thinking (wrongfully) the world would be a better place then.

Or maybe they're from a parallel Earth.
ddf
God-Man View Post
That's one of the greater possibilities. But, personally, I hope Geoff doesn't do somekind of multiverse crossover (I've never liked those types crossovers).

Old July 27th, 2009   Eric Q is offline   #7
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

Or they could take a Batman approach and be seen as urban legends.

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old July 27th, 2009   Bizarro #98 is offline   #8
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

Ted Grant would seem the obvious one, since he's the most SFX budget friendly.
ddf
Dan Loayza View Post
Terry Sloan and Ma Hunkle would also be pretty inexpensive.

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482
Old July 27th, 2009   jon-el87 is offline   #9
jon-el87
Neo Geoffan

I can only say it won't be the obvious ones of Jay Garrick and Alan Scott.
ddf
Geoff Johns View Post
But, hopefully you'll make some cool reference to them, like you and David Goyer did to Moon Knight in the pilot episode for the Blade series.

Personally, I could envision you using Obsidian (he'd probably be the one, who could make the best and most organic reference to Alan and Jay) as part of the guys showing up (he'd also be rather SFX friendly. I mean, he's a living shadow. Shadows are very cheap to make and at times the could just have him in a dark corner, with just a pair of white eyes being seen). He could tell Oliver (if Ollie gets a little bossie) that "Look here, pal.. Just because, you've got a fetisch for green, doesn't mean you can tell me what to do, you're not my father!" (however, a little better then that, I made that up, as I wrote it). Then, if someone were to mention Bart and refer to him as the "fastest man alive" or something, Todd could mention that his "uncle" Jay's the fastest there is.

Old July 27th, 2009   TJLamb0518 is offline   #10
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Hourman, while cool, would probably get nixed by standards and practices since he kind of advocates drug usage.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old July 27th, 2009   General grievous is offline   #11
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

Love to see Hawkman. Or how they present him.

"There is a Grant, Morrison be thy name!"
Old July 27th, 2009   LionKnight is offline   #12
LionKnight
Bloc Fighter!

I get offered a lot of work in television and I turn nearly all of it down. My main job is DC Comics and my number one passion in life is DC Comics. But every once in awhile there comes along something that I really want to do. I had a great time on Legion last year and coming up this season I'll be introducing the Justice Society of America to Smallville!

Speculation on who will appear can start now. I can only say it won't be the obvious ones of Jay Garrick and Alan Scott and Ted Grant!

Live action JSA. How cool is that?

Geoff
ddf
Geoff Johns View Post
^^^Fixed that for ya Geoff

One fist of iron, the other of steel
If the right one don't getcha, then the left one will
Old July 27th, 2009   DaVeO is offline   #13
DaVeO
Talk to the Hand of Doom

Well it would have to be kept small, for budget. I'm thinking 5 members.

Would love to see Hawkman, if only to see the old GA/Hawkman rivalry on TV. But here is my wishlist.

(Modern JSA)
Stargirl ('natch)
Mr. Terriffic
Dr. Mid-Nite
Hourman
Liberty Belle

(WWII era)
Dr. Fate
Wildcat
Johnny Thunder and the Thunderbolt
Starman
Hawkman

Where ever you go, there you are.
Old July 27th, 2009   Atom is offline   #14
Atom
Gone. Gone. Gone.

Bring on Al Pratt! Nothing like a runt with an attitude that can knock you for a loop!

Webmaster of the Former Unofficial Homepage of the Atom - all good things must come to an end...
Old July 27th, 2009   Scott Mateo is offline   #15
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

Hourman, while cool, would probably get nixed by standards and practices since he kind of advocates drug usage.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
On the contrary, I could see them using him and making a anti-drug PSA out of it.

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old July 27th, 2009   Fastest is offline   #16
Fastest
Geoffan

I just want to see Jay, so that's cool. If they are from a parallel Earth, maybe Impulse could be the one who finds it.

Oh, and Stargirl has to be in it. With Geoff writing, there has to be a Stargirl. I wonder who Geoff would want to star as Stargirl? I would hope he would get some say in picking.

"Long-form writing only works if you follow through on it."-Kelson