The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old August 22nd, 2008   booyah is offline   #33
booyah
Effing Awesome Horseman

Location: Arkham Asylum, revolving door for the Criminally Insane

I absolutely loved Superman Returns.
I was a huge fan of the original films, and thought that Returns was a wonderful homage to them and captured the whole essence that made me love those films so much.
It was also the first Superman film that I had the opportunity to see on the big screen, which made it a special experience for me.
That said, I completely agree with the studios decision to reboot the franchise.
After a twenty year absence I don't think it was wise to saddle the character to a franchise that most key audience members (12-18 year olds) may not have even seen yet. That alone hindered the film from reaching as big an audience as it could have.
I will say though, Routh was an absolute delight in the role, and I think it would be a waste to recast him.

I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum.....and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Old August 22nd, 2008   jafabian is offline   #34
jafabian
Iím not dead.

Just because someone talented is in a movie dosent make it good.
ddf
darthlucifuge View Post

What are the odds though? And I think actors like Kevin Spacey and Frank Langella are a beter judge of scripts than a young actor like Brandon Routh.

Spacey has two Oscars and heads the Old Vic as well as been a director himself. Langella has actually won 3 Tony's. I think they know a good script when they see it. Sure, occasionally they might do a dud but that's rare, especially at this point in their careers.

Old August 22nd, 2008   jasonleo is offline   #35
jasonleo
Genius Honky Horseman

My question to you is that you stated you haven't seen the movie, yet you won't see it based on what you hear? Despite the obvious talent behind it?

I find that interesting.
ddf
jafabian View Post
You may need to reread what I wrote. I never said I wouldn't see the movie. My post is in reference to calling a movie great, but describing it with descriptions that I put in "" "", which were paraphrasing the OP first post. ie... Lois was miscast, spacey was given too much camp, too much homage to the first film, and being burned out.

caught a ride with a trickster and a javelin man
to a town down by the sea
Old August 22nd, 2008   jafabian is offline   #36
jafabian
Iím not dead.

You may need to reread what I wrote. I never said I wouldn't see. My post is in reference to calling a movie great, but describing it with descriptions that I put in "" "", which were paraphrasing the OP first post.
ddf
jasonleo View Post

But you said you haven't seen it and then proceded to quote other sources stating that it was, in essence, a poor film. I am assuming therefore that you won't waste your time viewing it.

If I am wrong in concluding that based on your post I apologize. However, I think its understandable as to why I drew that conclusion.

Old August 22nd, 2008   jasonleo is offline   #37
jasonleo
Genius Honky Horseman

But you said you haven't seen it and then proceded to quote other sources stating that it was, in essence, a poor film. I am assuming therefore that you won't waste your time viewing it.

If I am wrong in concluding that based on your post I apologize. However, I think its understandable as to why I drew that conclusion.
ddf
jafabian View Post
Fair enough, just go read all of Infernorythm's posts in this thread. If you had reread the first post in this thread you would see where source was for my post. That should clear it up. But you are right, I won't waste my time watching this movie because I do not like Superman, however that has nothing to do with what I posted.

Old August 22nd, 2008   jafabian is offline   #38
jafabian
Iím not dead.

Fair enough, just go read all of Infernorythm's posts in this thread. If you had reread the first post in this thread you would see where source was for my post. That should clear it up. But you are right, I won't waste my time watching this movie because I do not like Superman, however that has nothing to do with what I posted.
ddf
jasonleo View Post
No, I'll pass on re-reading them. I read them the first time and that's enough for me. Re-reading them would accomplish absolutely nothing. My question to you was rhetorical, not literal. I am curious though that despite the fact that it has a solid cast and crew, is about a comic book icon and earned $391million worldwide according to Variety that you still have no interest?

I am such a comic geek that I'll see anything comic oriented that makes the big screen. Some I might wait until it hits DVD but I'll still watch it. That's me. That's how much I like the comics medium. And the fact that Superman Returns earned so much worldwide means a good number of people liked it as well.

Old August 22nd, 2008   Brian LaBelle is offline   #39
Brian LaBelle
I teleported.

There was so much Donner-homage that the film actually works as a bookend for that series. I agree that it is a good film, but it carries a LOT of baggage from the first movies and I don't think re-starting the franchise with a film where he's abandoned Earth for half a decade, comes back and finds out he's like $60,000 in arrears in child maintenance, and doesn't punch somebody halfway across a state isn't the way to go.

I hadn't heard they were planning to re-start the franchise but I have to agree that I think that's the way to go given the horrible reception "Returns" got. I enjoyed it, I agree with many of Inferno's opinions, but the film was tailor-made for fans of the old series and 80's comic books, it didn't reach the larger audience Spider-Man and Batman have, which is lame in my eyes because Superman is better than both of them combined.

I think if they want to re-start the Superman series, that's be a good idea. Just make sure he wears his Legion ring.

Old August 22nd, 2008   Terry Wood is offline   #40
Terry Wood
Geoffan

With all due respect to the person who started this thread, Superman was not in character in the film.

One of the primary themes with the character from the very beginning is responsibility and restraint.

It's not in Superman character to impregnate the love of his life without knowing it. Much less, fly away for half a decade and not let his mother or the love of his life know where and why he's leaving.

That's not Superman.

Singer had a nice story to tell. One that says biological fathers aren't necessarily the best husbands (though Lois and Marsden's character weren't married as some have asserted) or fathers to their own children.

Marden's character was essentially the hero of the movie because he could be the husband and father that Superman never could.

But within telling that story, Singer bastardized the Superman character.

Superman is not perfect but he is anything but irresponsible as he was portrayed in the film.

Superman is the bull in a china shop metaphor to the nth degree. He is so powerful that he can maim, kill or destroy with the slightest misstep.

Thus, he is always cognizant and aware of his actions.

Singer's Superman was oblivious. Yes, his Superman left Earth for a compelling reason — the belief he might find some remnant of Krypton, but again he would not have just disappeared leaving Lois and his mother in the lurch. That's not responsible. That's not Superman.

Also, Singer's nods to the original film became overbearing as did the Superman as Christ theme that was delivered in such a ham-fisted way.

That being said the film looked great. I personally liked the casting and the performances. And when Superman used his powers, the film worked well.

But while the Superman can be a character-driven endeavor whether on the page or the big screen, at its core Superman is an action/adventure character and whoever directs a film, TV show or writes a comic about him needs to remember that.

Old August 22nd, 2008   jasonleo is offline   #41
jasonleo
Genius Honky Horseman

No, I'll pass on re-reading them. I read them the first time and that's enough for me. Re-reading them would accomplish absolutely nothing. My question to you was rhetorical, not literal. I am curious though that despite the fact that it has a solid cast and crew, is about a comic book icon and earned $391million worldwide according to Variety that you still have no interest?
ddf
jafabian View Post
So do you want me to answer this question or no?

Old August 22nd, 2008   Hamish Campbell is offline   #42
Hamish Campbell
Geoffan

Sorry pretty much hated it, its one of the few films I wanted to walk out of but could as was with friends. The only thing I did like were the effects (when there was action).

Old August 22nd, 2008   Asahi is offline   #43
Asahi
persona non grata

I can't defend this film.

It was dull and difficult to watch.

Old August 22nd, 2008   Ron Marz is offline   #44
Ron Marz
Premier

I liked the movie quite a bit.

I think a lot of comic fans wanted a SFX extravangaza with Superman punching the crap out of super-villains. What they got was a character piece that was >gasp< different than in the comics.

And the "stalking" scene was anything but. This is the woman he loves, and who still loves him. Above all else, this is his SON. The reaction of going to see your son is what ANY father would do. I dunno, maybe you have to be a father to understand the depth of that scene. But it certainly rang true, and hit home, to me.

Seems like a lot of fans wanted the "Super" part of Superman to be dominant. The movie concentrated on the "man" aspect, and for me, did it very well.

Old August 22nd, 2008   Not My Real Name is offline   #45
Not My Real Name*
The Invisible Horseman

ddf
jafabian View Post
Re-reading them would have accomplished a lot. He's saying he wouldn't see a film that's described as "great" by someone who also gives a sizable list of reasons not to see the film.

II + II = VII
Old August 22nd, 2008   ADGood is offline   #46
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

Sorry pretty much hated it, its one of the few films I wanted to walk out of but could as was with friends. The only thing I did like were the effects (when there was action).
ddf
Hamish Campbell View Post
They wouldn't walk out with you? Pfft. And they call themselves friends.

Oh, and, for the record, I liked the movie well enough. I also agree about most of the problems and stupid bits that people have pointed out about it. I just...don't really care enough about those to take them any more seriously than I was taking the movie to begin with. But, maybe that's just me.

Old August 22nd, 2008   Terry Sloane is offline   #47
Terry Sloane
Master Geoffan

I like SR a lot too, but let's face it: Batman upped the ante. I say reboot, no homage, but no messing with the classic parameters either. Just do him strong but always one notch alien, make Lois inacessible again (not in on his identity), give him a formidible foe, give him an easy choice he has to turn his back on in favor of the harder but morally correct one.

Burn all the 1990's mullet Superman issues before a studio exec can glean "inspiration" from them.

Old August 22nd, 2008   Infernorhythm is offline   #48
Infernorhythm
Aspiring Writer

I never saw the movie, but I do know that if I considered a movie to be great I would have a hard time justifying it with descriptions such as "the lead female was miscast", or "the major supporting character had to much camp material", or "there was too much homage to movie(s) of the past", and I definately would never say "yeah I was burned out by some of it". To me that just does not equate to being a great movie.
ddf
jasonleo View Post
Wait? You haven't seen it? If I remember, you've railed against it in the past. And you haven't seen it. That does not allow for an informed opinion.

And sure, it has flaws, but they do not detract from the main point and feel of the movie that well. Movies can be good and still have faults.

The real problem in that scene comes back to the "Routh wasn't asked to play Superman, he was asked to play Chris Reeve playing Superman" problem...which I don't blame him for in the slightest.

The speech to the kid, if given by Reeve, would've been AMAZING, but Routh hasn't earned that...you can't generate that emotional connection with the audience by just putting on the suit.

That being said I like the movie a lot, and, personally, when you have a character as powerful as Superman, physical challenges and conflict become really booring really quickly,. So I don't mind if we challenge him mentally and emotionally...
ddf
mpjedi2 View Post
I disagree. To me, Routh did a better job at playing Superman. Yes, obviously Reeve comparisons are going to come up, he did basically define the role. To me though, Routh managed to capture both the country boy in the big city feel of Clark Kent, as well as the deep drive motivating Superman better than Reeve. I disagree that Routh was playing Reeve. Obviously Superman is going to be played in a similar way; he has a very distinctive dynamic.

Yes. This is Superman, not On Golden Pond.
They focused on alot of 'character development' in Ghost Rider and Batman and Robin....and look at how well those movies are liked.
This is supposed to be primarily and action movie. It's about a guy with superpowers, not a guy having relationship problems with his girl or kid.
I mostly want to see Superman doind 'super' stuff. Sure I want some character exploration and depth. But not, and this is important, at the expense of the action....as in Action Comics.
ddf
GrendelPrime View Post
Uh...no. Yes, superhero movies have action. But they should be about more than action. They should have a plot, themes, character arcs. Look at The Dark Knight, it had action scenes, but it was more about the characters and their interactions with each other. I'm not asking for no action, I'm asking for it to compliment a larger plot. The small action scenes in Returns did, I'm just asking for more action.

So you would have no problem with you girlfriend or wife's ex coming around, seeing her in secret, taking her on late night 'flights'(drives) alone, looking in your windows, and contradicting your lessons to your kid in private? Is that right?
Would it bother you if you were argueing with your wife, and her ex, who's incredibly stronger than you and has weapons is hanging around outside shaking his head and could come kick the door down and take her away....and she'd like it?

I'm just sayin' that Superman and Lois came off as pretty awful self-centered people in the movie...............when Superman wasn't doing all that cool mindless Michael Bay action stuff.
ddf
As mpjedi2 said, it was HIS SON. He was visiting his son one last time before exiting his life.

Superman Returns was a great film. DO NOT REBOOT!