The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old August 22nd, 2008   Not My Real Name is offline   #17
Not My Real Name*
The Invisible Horseman

The spying on Lois at her home really rubbed me the wrong way, especially since she's married and presumably has had a son with her husband (as far as Superman knew at the time). It was not the best way to show his feelings and basically gives us a Superman who would use his powers for his own means rather than for the good of others.
ddf
Not My Real Name View Post
Lois whispered something to him in the hospital, we don't know what. For all we know it was done with her blessings. And it's his son after all.
ddf
jafabian View Post
Ooh, I like this even better--"Clark, I know I'm married but why don't you come by some night when my husband's not around and peek in on us?"

II + II = VII
Old August 22nd, 2008   chrisbenes is offline   #18
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

Ooh, I like this even better--"Clark, I know I'm married but why don't you come by some night when my husband's not around and peek in on us?"
ddf
who know's just how kinky Lois really is

Old August 22nd, 2008   jasonleo is offline   #19
jasonleo
Genius Honky Horseman

I never saw the movie, but I do know that if I considered a movie to be great I would have a hard time justifying it with descriptions such as "the lead female was miscast", or "the major supporting character had to much camp material", or "there was too much homage to movie(s) of the past", and I definately would never say "yeah I was burned out by some of it". To me that just does not equate to being a great movie.

caught a ride with a trickster and a javelin man
to a town down by the sea
Old August 22nd, 2008   mpjedi2 is offline   #20
mpjedi2
Mark Pracht

And as for the stalking, nope, still don't see it. The scene with Jason was probably one of the best scenes in the movie. I don't see anything stalker-y in that.
ddf
Infernorhythm View Post
The real problem in that scene comes back to the "Routh wasn't asked to play Superman, he was asked to play Chris Reeve playing Superman" problem...which I don't blame him for in the slightest.

The speech to the kid, if given by Reeve, would've been AMAZING, but Routh hasn't earned that...you can't generate that emotional connection with the audience by just putting on the suit.

That being said I like the movie a lot, and, personally, when you have a character as powerful as Superman, physical challenges and conflict become really booring really quickly,. So I don't mind if we challenge him mentally and emotionally...

Old August 22nd, 2008   GrendelPrime is offline   #21
GrendelPrime
Geoffan

So you'd prefer mindless Michael Bay-style action to plot and character development?
ddf
Infernorhythm View Post
Yes. This is Superman, not On Golden Pond.
They focused on alot of 'character development' in Ghost Rider and Batman and Robin....and look at how well those movies are liked.
This is supposed to be primarily and action movie. It's about a guy with superpowers, not a guy having relationship problems with his girl or kid.
I mostly want to see Superman doind 'super' stuff. Sure I want some character exploration and depth. But not, and this is important, at the expense of the action....as in Action Comics.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy action scenes, but Superman is not just an action driven character. He's a character driven one.
ddf
Infernorhythm View Post
Then why not get rid of the powers and then have the movie series start to be about Clark and Lois, minus the supervillians and stuff?
Sorry, but the 'character' is WHAT he can do.
I loved the whole tag line for the movie with Brando saying, "They can be a great people.....they only need you to show them the way."
Not TELL them the way. Not 'develop yourself'.
SHOW them the way. BE super. DO super things. SHOW them how to care about their fellow man and how cool it is to be trying to DO things that help others, rather than prey on them or expliot them.

And as for the stalking, nope, still don't see it. The scene with Jason was probably one of the best scenes in the movie. I don't see anything stalker-y in that.
ddf
Infernorhythm View Post
So you would have no problem with you girlfriend or wife's ex coming around, seeing her in secret, taking her on late night 'flights'(drives) alone, looking in your windows, and contradicting your lessons to your kid in private? Is that right?
Would it bother you if you were argueing with your wife, and her ex, who's incredibly stronger than you and has weapons is hanging around outside shaking his head and could come kick the door down and take her away....and she'd like it?

I'm just sayin' that Superman and Lois came off as pretty awful self-centered people in the movie...............when Superman wasn't doing all that cool mindless Michael Bay action stuff.

Do the jig!
Old August 22nd, 2008   mpjedi2 is offline   #22
mpjedi2
Mark Pracht

ddf
She wasn't married to Richard...So, you can add in that whole "living in sin" thing too.

Old August 22nd, 2008   GrendelPrime is offline   #23
GrendelPrime
Geoffan

Agreed. One scene. It's not like he spent the whole movie following her every move.
ddf
Infernorhythm View Post
Flys by and 'peers in the windows'.
Sets up a secret rendevous on the roof alone with a married woman that he wants to rekindle a romance with.
Takes her on a romantic flight or 'dance'.
Sneaks into the house after dark and softly speaks to the kid (or the equivalant of 'strokes another man's son's hair').
And thats just off the top of my head.

Do the jig!
Old August 22nd, 2008   jafabian is offline   #24
jafabian
Iím not dead.

I never saw the movie, but I do know that if I considered a movie to be great I would have a hard time justifying it with descriptions such as "the lead female was miscast", or "the major supporting character had to much camp material", or "there was too much homage to movie(s) of the past", and I definately would never say "yeah I was burned out by some of it". To me that just does not equate to being a great movie.
ddf
jasonleo View Post

But where do those descriptions come from? Would you not see a movie when majority of the media gives it very good reviews and it makes $391 million worldwide? And the director helmed the X-franchise as well as movies like Apt Pupil and The Usual Suspects and produces House M.D.?

Where the actor playing the protagonist has won two Academy Awards?

And one of the supporting cast is a veteran stage actor who's won a Tony Award?

Don't those kind of descriptions speak enough of it?

Old August 22nd, 2008   darthlucifuge is offline   #25
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

After reading what Grendal Prime has been saying i'm now convinced that this superman was a wierdo.

Sneaking up on a child who dosnt know you and basically carressing him just dosnt sit right with me. It's very creepy.

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old August 22nd, 2008   mpjedi2 is offline   #26
mpjedi2
Mark Pracht

So you would have no problem with you girlfriend or wife's ex coming around, seeing her in secret, taking her on late night 'flights'(drives) alone, looking in your windows, and contradicting your lessons to your kid in private? Is that right?
Would it bother you if you were argueing with your wife, and her ex, who's incredibly stronger than you and has weapons is hanging around outside shaking his head and could come kick the door down and take her away....and she'd like it?
ddf
GrendelPrime View Post
That's reading a lot into a scene that wasn't about that at all.

It's HIS SON. He visited HIS CHILD.

Get this; Kal lost his father because of something beyond his control, and then he lost his own son, and the woman he loves, because he flew off on a fools errand to "find himself." He made a selfish choice to try to find his heritage, when, in fact, it was right in front of him the whole time.

I've found myself, in my life, standing on a streetcorner watching the windows of girls who, for one reason or another, are no longer part of my life. (Not "looking in," mind you...but I don't have X-Ray vision.) It's not about being creepy, it's about trying to deal with the emotions of loss and the sense that something that could've been fulfilling and wonderful is now out of reach.

If Clark/Kal/Superman is a paragon of virtue, can never make mistakes, can never feel the pain of the mistakes he's made, then he becomes the useless, booring character that many clain he is. In the end, he will make the right choice, he's Superman, but if he doesn't struggle with it, if he can't mourn for his mistakes...then there's no reason for the character to ever be used again.

Old August 22nd, 2008   jasonleo is offline   #27
jasonleo
Genius Honky Horseman

But where do those descriptions come from? Would you not see a movie when majority of the media gives it very good reviews and it makes $391 million worldwide? And the director helmed the X-franchise as well as movies like Apt Pupil and The Usual Suspects and produces House M.D.?

Where the actor playing the protagonist has won two Academy Awards?

And one of the supporting cast is a veteran stage actor who's won a Tony Award?

Don't those kind of descriptions speak enough of it?
ddf
jafabian View Post
Reread the opening post.

caught a ride with a trickster and a javelin man
to a town down by the sea
Old August 22nd, 2008   5andman is offline   #28
5andman
Master Geoffan

If Singer's Valkyrie gets an amazing reception when released -- I say let Singer do the Superman sequel.

(I bet the WB will be monitoring the movie's reaction closely)

Old August 22nd, 2008   mpjedi2 is offline   #29
mpjedi2
Mark Pracht

Flys by and 'peers in the windows'.
Sets up a secret rendevous on the roof alone with a married woman that he wants to rekindle a romance with.
Takes her on a romantic flight or 'dance'.
Sneaks into the house after dark and softly speaks to the kid (or the equivalant of 'strokes another man's son's hair').
And thats just off the top of my head.
ddf
GrendelPrime View Post
I take it you've never spent time with a woman you were extremely close to in the past. You might understand those scenes more. And SHE'S NOT MARRIED. The movie's pretty clear that she's resisted marriage to Richard for a while.

I'd also like to point out, again...It's CLARK'S SON. Not Richard's. You keep trying to shade it almost as the actions of a pedophile...not true. The actions of a man trying to come to grips with the idea of the son he never knew he had.

I don't think the movie is perfect, at all...but I think you're trying to find things to condemn it for.

Old August 22nd, 2008   darthlucifuge is offline   #30
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

I take it you've never spent time with a woman you were extremely close to in the past. You might understand those scenes more. And SHE'S NOT MARRIED. The movie's pretty clear that she's resisted marriage to Richard for a while.

I'd also like to point out, again...It's CLARK'S SON. Not Richard's. You keep trying to shade it almost as the actions of a pedophile...not true. The actions of a man trying to come to grips with the idea of the son he never knew he had.

I don't think the movie is perfect, at all...but I think you're trying to find things to condemn it for.
ddf
mpjedi2 View Post
Dude he's still stalking, no matter how you put it or teh reasoning you have. Superman is stalking lois and his son.

Say you were raised by one man and had him around you your whole life. Would you think it was cool if your real dad who never gave a single care about you came into teh picture and started coming into your room at night univited. I know I wouldnt

Cause it's creepy and scary as hell.

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old August 22nd, 2008   jafabian is offline   #31
jafabian
Iím not dead.

Reread the opening post.
ddf
jasonleo View Post
My question to you is that you stated you haven't seen the movie, yet you won't see it based on what you hear? Despite the obvious talent behind it?

I find that interesting.

Old August 22nd, 2008   darthlucifuge is offline   #32
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

My question to you is that you stated you haven't seen the movie, yet you won't see it based on what you hear? Despite the obvious talent behind it?

I find that interesting.
ddf
jafabian View Post
Just because someone talented is in a movie dosent make it good.