The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old July 21st, 2008   michealdark is offline   #33
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

Has anyone ever told you that you seem to sometimes crash fun on purpose, C&C?

http://www.fanfiction.net/~mikedark2-My FF.net account,w/my TT fanfics
http://www.myspace.com/mymindseye-My music project's page.

RIP Tara
Old July 21st, 2008   Asahi is offline   #34
Asahi
persona non grata

I would've liked a movie with the Scarecrow as the sole villain.

Poison Ivy with an environmentalist bent (which she has already, but it could really be taken to extremes with the way Gotham is so completely and utterly urban), and I really want to see Killer Croc in a Nolan Batman movie.

I think he'd do an interesting Mr. Freeze, but I don't think Nolan will do some of the more outlandish villains.

Old July 21st, 2008   Jeff Nowicki is offline   #35
Jeff Nowicki
Pineapple!

The trouble here, fellas, is that you are putting characters before story. It will all turn on what the actual story is. What kind of story arc does Nolan have in mind? Does Batman remain the uber outlaw, wanted for murder? Is the reputation of Batman redeemed in someway? What villians they bring to the story is largely going to depend, I submit, on what they intend to do to Batman himself.
ddf
CapeandCowl View Post
Catwoman, done right, would be beneficial for Bruce. I see her as she is now...a kind of crimefighter who protects the people the police don't. Her methods are often misunderstood and Bruce would disapprove of her. She would be a great way to help Bruce heal over losing Rachel.

As for Harvey, I like the idea that he has been taken away to heal physically and mentally. If someone were to bring Clayface to town and he would see himself on tv healed and well it would cause him to snap and break out. It would make sense for Talia to want to destroy Bruce and Gotham to finish what her father died for. Deadshot could also be used for a supporting minor role. (He was in the Batman anime released a few weeks ago.)

What better way to destroy the faith of the Gotham people than to reveal that the trusted Jim Gordon was in on a cover-up involving the death and fate of Harvey Dent? Bruce would have his work cut out for him trying to stop so many different angles at once. He would need Selina's help.

The only problem is that Talia and Clayface aren't big name villain draws. Then again, neither were Ra's and Scarecrow and they both worked. Honestly, the Dark Knight is so huge right now I think people would see the sequel even if it featured Kite Man and the Terrible Trio! When the film ended the entire theatre was literally up on its feet screaming for more. I've never seen this before. It was pretty cool. As long as Nolan directs, the fans will come.

Old July 21st, 2008   zekeman1 is offline   #36
zekeman1
Master Geoffan

ok, since it is unlikely my idea would be used here goes.
the blackmailing accounting can't keep the secret bottled up inside. he goes to see a psycitrist, dr. hugo strange.meanwhile in gotham, crime bosses are getting shot left and right with one shot.press nicknames him, the deadshot killer. the press blames batman for this copycat vigilanty. bruce decides to bury his sorry at rachels death by dating supermodels. only one catches his eye's, silver st. cloud.he toys with the idea that this killer is the hero that gotham does need.meanwhile, dr, stange offers to sell batman's secret to the highest bidder. this will lead to big battle at the end. deadshot will turn out to be hired by falcone to restore gotham to regular mob not "freaks." the rest you'll have to use your imagination.

bob

ben, does it have a hemi ?
Old July 21st, 2008   EmeraldTorch2814 is offline   #37
EmeraldTorch2814

Talia al Ghul comes to Gotham to continue her father's work. She wants to kill Batman, but ends up falling in love. Wants to destroy Gotham anyway.

She works with Bane, a South American escaped criminal bent on dominating the city, since he doesn't know her true intentions. And no, he's not the lumbering brute from Batman and Robin, but an extremely cunning and ruthless villain.

In the middle of it all is Tony Zucco, who has inherited the Mafia since the death of Maroni.

Old July 21st, 2008   mpjedi2 is offline   #38
mpjedi2
Mark Pracht

The trouble here, fellas, is that you are putting characters before story. It will all turn on what the actual story is. What kind of story arc does Nolan have in mind? Does Batman remain the uber outlaw, wanted for murder? Is the reputation of Batman redeemed in someway? What villians they bring to the story is largely going to depend, I submit, on what they intend to do to Batman himself.
ddf
CapeandCowl View Post
HA!

The exact, correct statement.

If you want my honest answer....Don't make another one. This is the best Batman movie ever. My two favorite villians have been protrayed exactly as I have always wished they would be.

Old July 21st, 2008   ADGood is offline   #39
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

As others here have said, the story as it stands at the end of the second film is midway through an arc chronicling the fall of the organized crime families and corrupt officials, and the rise of a wave of dangerous madmen bred in the darkness that covered the city under the mobs' rule. The Family gives way to the freaks. When you've finally brought down the formerly untouchable bosses, purged the corruption from the police force and the justice system, and given the people something to hope for, something to believe in - that marks the turn of the tide in the war for Gotham's soul. And that war, the war against hopelessness and corruptibility, we may yet see won in the next installment. But we may also be given a taste of the new emerging conflict brought to the streets by the Joker, Two-Face, and all who come after - a war against fear and insanity - a war for Gotham's mind. If we go by the comics, we know that the switchover happened at some point - that Gotham became a city that its people wanted to believe in again - just in time for the freaks to really come out of the woodwork. And, chronologically, the next movie looks like about that time.

But that's just where I see the story heading. It might go a different way. If it does go this way, a Catwoman-type character could play very well into the theme - a formerly dowtrodden Gothamite who's been inspired to become something else, who rises to fight for her own, to fight for her city. And that sentiment is good - it's what Bats wanted when he came back to Gotham. But the hitch is, she may be going about it the wrong way. For all he knows, she's no better than those shotgun-toting Bat-fakes. Is she emblematic of the return of hope to the city? Or is she symptomatic of the city's inexorable slide into mania? It's a possiblity - not an incredibly likely one, of course, but I think that it wouldn't take too much to make it work within the ontext of the themes that need to be addressed as they bring the first major arc in Batman's career to a close.

Old July 21st, 2008   tony soprano is offline   #40
tony soprano
Geoffan

the mad hattter a evil verison of robin williams in toys

Old July 21st, 2008   ADGood is offline   #41
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

the mad hattter a evil verison of robin williams in toys
ddf
tony soprano View Post
Woldn't an evil version of Robin William's character in Toys be the Toyman?

Old July 21st, 2008   dl316bh is offline   #42
dl316bh
Supreme Geoffan

I think two characters that could work for the next film are Bane and Deathstroke.

Others have mentioned far better ways elsewhere that Bane could easily be used in this universe than I could ever think up. So I won't go into much detail on that.

Deathstroke, however, would be both a cool character to use and one that could fit easily into the overall world. He was more or less a soldier who had gone mercenary; and one of the best in the world at that. Take away some of the less believable aspects (healing factor, this means you) and just make 'Stroke a mercenary who has trained himself to be the best; and you can pretty much use him in any damn way you could think of in said film. Have him be a mercenary hired by the families to take Batman out, whatever. It wouldn't even be too far out there either, as while people will largely remember him as a Teen Titans foe, he's had dealings with the Bat in the comics on several occasions, so we're not really delving too far into other territory here.

Plus, they already seem to have a design that could work well in this universe, judging by the Dark Knight toy Deathstroke recieved. Unfortunately, as cool as that would be, I won't hold my breath. =/

Catwoman could work too, but as far as the Riddler goes, I'm not so sure. I think the character could work in something like this, but the people behind the movies would probably disagree. He is a bit campy in nature, honestly; and that alone could cause Nolan and company to stamp an X on that idea. Besides that, I don't think he'd fit well overall in the themes these movies employ.

Old July 21st, 2008   General grievous is offline   #43
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

The Black Mask and the Penguin!

"There is a Grant, Morrison be thy name!"
Old July 21st, 2008   J-Liv is offline   #44
J-Liv
Frappuccino Jedi

As others here have said, the story as it stands at the end of the second film is midway through an arc chronicling the fall of the organized crime families and corrupt officials, and the rise of a wave of dangerous madmen bred in the darkness that covered the city under the mobs' rule. The Family gives way to the freaks. When you've finally brought down the formerly untouchable bosses, purged the corruption from the police force and the justice system, and given the people something to hope for, something to believe in - that marks the turn of the tide in the war for Gotham's soul. And that war, the war against hopelessness and corruptibility, we may yet see won in the next installment. But we may also be given a taste of the new emerging conflict brought to the streets by the Joker, Two-Face, and all who come after - a war against fear and insanity - a war for Gotham's mind. If we go by the comics, we know that the switchover happened at some point - that Gotham became a city that its people wanted to believe in again - just in time for the freaks to really come out of the woodwork. And, chronologically, the next movie looks like about that time.

But that's just where I see the story heading. It might go a different way. If it does go this way, a Catwoman-type character could play very well into the theme - a formerly dowtrodden Gothamite who's been inspired to become something else, who rises to fight for her own, to fight for her city. And that sentiment is good - it's what Bats wanted when he came back to Gotham. But the hitch is, she may be going about it the wrong way. For all he knows, she's no better than those shotgun-toting Bat-fakes. Is she emblematic of the return of hope to the city? Or is she symptomatic of the city's inexorable slide into mania? It's a possiblity - not an incredibly likely one, of course, but I think that it wouldn't take too much to make it work within the ontext of the themes that need to be addressed as they bring the first major arc in Batman's career to a close.
ddf
ADGood View Post
I love the way you think.

-J

Old July 21st, 2008   Thalya is offline   #45
Thalya

I agree with ADGood to an extent (and I *heart* you for bringing up Calculator in any context!). But look at what actually happened in the movie. The writers already set things up.

The writers here did the exact same thing they did in Batman Begins. In BB, they killed off Katie Holmes' boss, the DA. What did they do for TDK? They brought in Harvey Dent. Who did they kill off in TDK? Gambol, Maroni, and the Chechen. Now which of Batman's rogues are natural mob bosses who are going to step up in the power vacuum?

And Two-Face will be back. He's the Dark Secret Batman and Gordon will have to fight tooth and nail to keep from destroying Gotham's spirit. He's not dead. Why else did the writers include a scene where Batman dropped Maroni a short height off a building? To prove that a fall from that kind of height will not kill a man.

Old July 21st, 2008   TJLamb0518 is offline   #46
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

I'd like to see Hugo Strange in the next film.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old July 21st, 2008   CapeandCowl is offline   #47
CapeandCowl
Gad Fly

I'd like to see Hugo Strange in the next film.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
Ok now THAT could be brilliant....especially if, tonally, it was done as it was in the old Legends of the Dark Knight take on Hugo as the shrink hired by the mayor to help Gordon hunt down Batman.

Old July 21st, 2008   michealdark is offline   #48
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

Oh, yeah, I could see Bane working. If you just think of the Venom juice as some new, experimental form of steroids, then he doesn't seem as campy, and the idea of doing a straight version of him (intelligent, enhanced strength, and totally ruthless in battle) like in the comic and in BTAS would make it work. Besides that, Bane would be a credible threat to Bats in a way some other villians can't, because he's just as intelligent and even stronger.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~mikedark2-My FF.net account,w/my TT fanfics
http://www.myspace.com/mymindseye-My music project's page.

RIP Tara