The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old July 8th, 2008   General grievous is offline   #33
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

fair enough. Lets not forget though, I am a marvel reader as well Planet hulk and world war hulk were both excellent.

I guess The Sinestro Corps war for me just can't be topped.

I want morrsion to top it with Final Crisis, but I don't think he will pull it off.

"There is a Grant, Morrison be thy name!"
Old July 8th, 2008   TJLamb0518 is offline   #34
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

fair enough. Lets not forget though, I am a marvel reader as well Planet hulk and world war hulk were both excellent.

I guess The Sinestro Corps war for me just can't be topped.

I want morrsion to top it with Final Crisis, but I don't think he will pull it off.
ddf
General grievous View Post
And I feel Annihilation can't be topped. Doesn't mean I can't appreciate Civil War as a seperate entity worthy of its' own praise and blame.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old July 8th, 2008   General grievous is offline   #35
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

Annihilation was deadly,

but superman prime, sinestro, anti-monitor-hank henshaw, legions of manhunters, sinestro soldiers, paralax.

cosmic heaven for a fan!

Old July 8th, 2008   Hamish Campbell is offline   #36
Hamish Campbell
Geoffan

Don't know if Millars the man or not, but I certainly hope they do an Incredible Hulk redo for the next Superman outing, kinda just ignore Superman Returns and give us something new.

Old July 8th, 2008   General grievous is offline   #37
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

Don't know if Millars the man or not, but I certainly hope they do an Incredible Hulk redo for the next Superman outing, kinda just ignore Superman Returns and give us something new.
ddf
Hamish Campbell View Post
go one better, give it a dark knight/batman begins redo

Old July 8th, 2008   TJLamb0518 is offline   #38
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Annihilation was deadly,

but superman prime, sinestro, anti-monitor-hank henshaw, legions of manhunters, sinestro soldiers, paralax.

cosmic heaven for a fan!
ddf
General grievous View Post
Read through it at the library...it was nice. Liked Annihilation more.

Again, baskin robbins.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old July 8th, 2008   General grievous is offline   #39
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

Baskin Robbins with a sinestro ring, now there's a though

Old July 8th, 2008   mpjedi2 is offline   #40
mpjedi2
Mark Pracht

Maybe he could re-work the Wanted movie into something watchable before he plays with someone else's toys.
ddf
AfroFett View Post
Y'know I didn't really like the film much, but to be fair, he wrote the comic book, not the movie, and we all know what that means, as far as his imput into the actual film.

...Pretty much nil.

Old July 8th, 2008   Captrose is offline   #41
Captrose
Advanced Geoffan

Probably not pedos, but Online gamers, the hardcore ones anyway, are in a different category than most people. I walked into a comic shop that also ran as an Internet cafe a few weeks back. I walked by the gamers playing some MMORPG, and hearing them go on about guilds and skills building and all that, I was so far out of my element there.
ddf
Drink View Post
Maybe, maybe not. I get your point but I know some hard core online gamers (spend all their time and then some WOW or EQ or whatever) are good people and some just like you say. But mm using the "pedo" was just beyond stupid.

But yeah, the Clor thing was undeniably one of the bad things that the Pro-Reg side did, along with the N-Zone Gitmo. Mind you, the deck was pretty easily stacked against the Pro-Reg side in a number of ways. There's no way that "Looking out for the interests of the general public" could be seen as bad without either of those aspects.

But I'll say this-- Superheroic Registration is a good idea, in principle anyway. Perhaps it could have been executed better, but story-wise, there naturally needs to be conflict, or something for the heroes to overcome. In this case, government legislation. But the basic idea of registering any super powers isn't so crazy. Ideally, those people wouldn't necessarily be forced to become superheroes if they didn't want to, but if they were so inclined, then they would get the training they needed, preferably from a Veteran Hero like Captain America. Otherwise, the heroes and law enforcement would at least have information on how to contain them should they go Rogue.

That's how I would have done it.
ddf
Drink View Post
And your story seems like a good idea (though I suggest Human Torch Jim Hammond as Veteran Hero so Cap could continue adventuring). Thing is, the main story itself was done to death how many times in X-men? LOTS. There's a point about it being applied to the non-mutants but as I recall most any time we saw the Sentinels take over, they went after non-mutants. I just didn't care for it.

and a joke...which noone seems to grasp
ddf
Chris Hansbrough View Post
I read the interview and sure didn't seem like a joke. I try to give the benefit of a doubt, anyone who's been online for any time and made a joke that didn't translate to a reader knows about it. At the very least it was an extremely poor choice of word for someone who seems obsessed with the worst parts of society. And given mm's near-Funky Flashman self promotion and spot light grabbing, it's hard to look at it other wise. Kind of like if Pac-Man Jones got arrested at a strip club again, even if he was totally innocent it would be hard to believe him.

Liked Annihilation more.
Again, baskin robbins.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
I had a couple of friends who knew how little I liked Civil War recommend Annihilation to me. I picked up the first TPB, but it didn't click with me either. In fact, the only book Marvel is putting out that clicks with me is the current MC2 title, American Dream.

I agree with the Baskin Robbins comment!

Old July 8th, 2008   Brian LaBelle is offline   #42
Brian LaBelle
I teleported.

Hey, I was pretty upset by the ending as were a lot of other readers, until I re-read it and realized there was no other way the story could've ended.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
It ended in another book - Captain America #25.

Old July 8th, 2008   AfroFett is offline   #43
AfroFett
Pie Reassignment Engineer

Y'know I didn't really like the film much, but to be fair, he wrote the comic book, not the movie, and we all know what that means, as far as his imput into the actual film.

...Pretty much nil.
ddf
mpjedi2 View Post
I understand. I'm sayin' let him do his own vision of his own creation. Show us what you can do before you fiddle with an icon.

Old October 29th, 2008   Elias is offline   #44
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

From Empire Online:

Mark Millar Talks Superman

Mark Millar wants to create an epic 8-hour screen story which will follow the entire life of Kal-El from his birth on Krypton a thousand years ago, until he is the last being left on Earth.

Empire sat down for a chat with comic book writer and creator Millar, the man behind Wanted and the upcoming Kick-Ass, and he filled us in on his pitch for the follow-up to Superman Returns.

Mark has been working closely with a ‘big-Hollywood action director’ – who he refuses to name at this stage – on a pitch for what he is calling the Magnum Opus of Superman stories. His idea is for an 8-hour saga, split into 3 films to be released a year apart, in a Lord of the Rings fashion. Although several other sources have reported similar conversations with Mark, he went into further detail, fleshing out the story arc a little more.

“It’s gonna be like Michael Corleone in the Godfather films, the entire story from beginning to end, you see where he starts, how he becomes who he becomes, and where that takes him. The Dark Knight showed you can take a comic book property and make a serious film, and I think the studios are ready to listen to bigger ideas now.”

“The problem with Superman Returns was like releasing Star Wars in ’77, The Empire Strikes Back in ’80 and then waiting 28 years to release Return of the Jedi, it wasn’t relevant. I understand what Bryan Singer was trying to do, to pay homage to Richard Donner’s original vision, but I think you should pay homage by doing something completely different.”

“I want to start on Krypton, a thousand years ago, and end with Superman alone on Planet Earth, the last being left on the planet, as the yellow sun turns red and starts to supernova, and he loses his powers."

Certainly no-one can ever say that Millar lacks vision and if he and his ‘bigHollywoodaction director’ friend get backing for the project, and we certainly hope they do, it might just prove to be the Godfather of superhero films.
ddf
Dan Goodswen

Old October 29th, 2008   chrisbenes is offline   #45
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

My fingers are crossed....I know alot of people don't want to see him do Superman ...I think it would be great!!!

I think the only issue is it may not set up the character for a JLA movie that may or may never happen.

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old October 29th, 2008   carmine007 is offline   #46
carmine007
Advanced Geoffan

The Movie ends with Superman alone on Earth and about to die???

Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions
Old October 29th, 2008   DeTroyes is offline   #47
DeTroyes
Dagnabbit!

Location: Miskatonic University, Dept. of Ancient Manuscripts

The Movie ends with Superman alone on Earth and about to die???
ddf
carmine007 View Post
Yeah, I was thinking about that. Assuming that something wonky hasn't happened to the sun, that would mean Superman lives to be about 5 billion years old.

Although our sun isn't expected to go supernova; not massive enough. It'll probably puff to a red giant, then slowly fade away to a white dwarf and later just a dark, burned out, radioactive cinder.

This concept could be cool, but frankly, I think I'd rather see Geoff Johns tackle the next Superman film.

Beast Boy/Raven 'shipper

Where is John Galt?

Looking for meaning, searching for answers, finding nothing but loose change and pocket lint.
Old October 29th, 2008   Infernorhythm is offline   #48
Infernorhythm
Aspiring Writer

I am still hoping for a Singer/Routh sequel (please TPTB, please!!!!), but that pitch really does nothing for me. Not a single thing.

Superman Returns was a great film. DO NOT REBOOT!