The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old July 7th, 2008   Asahi is offline   #17
Asahi
persona non grata

Probably not pedos, but Online gamers, the hardcore ones anyway, are in a different category than most people.
ddf
Drink View Post
Your point being? I'm not an online gamer, but Millar's pedo comment certainly did rankle my feathers when I heard it. It was incredibly distasteful and uncalled for.

Old July 7th, 2008   Chris Hansbrough is offline   #18
Chris Hansbrough
Scion of Mogo

Your point being? I'm not an online gamer, but Millar's pedo comment certainly did rankle my feathers when I heard it. It was incredibly distasteful and uncalled for.
ddf
Asahi View Post
and a joke...which noone seems to grasp

EIC - Nerdstock Comics
Webhost - Plastikitty

X-Box Live : Scion of Mogo
PSN : Scion_of_Mogo
Steam : Scion_of_Mogo
Old July 7th, 2008   Asahi is offline   #19
Asahi
persona non grata

and a joke...which noone seems to grasp
ddf
Chris Hansbrough View Post
You're right. How could I miss the obvious hilarious reference to being referred to as a pedo?

Old July 7th, 2008   Chris Hansbrough is offline   #20
Chris Hansbrough
Scion of Mogo

You're right. How could I miss the obvious hilarious reference to being referred to as a pedo?
ddf
Asahi View Post
my guess? An overblown sense of righteousness.

was it stupid? Hell yeah.....was it funny.....god no....was he seriously calling gamers pedos? yeah not a chance

EIC - Nerdstock Comics
Webhost - Plastikitty

X-Box Live : Scion of Mogo
PSN : Scion_of_Mogo
Steam : Scion_of_Mogo
Old July 7th, 2008   Capt America1941 is offline   #21
Capt America1941
Advanced Geoffan

Sorry, I thought this was new news.
ddf
Asahi View Post
If it's any consolation, it was news to me !!

fight the power !!!!! don't register!!!
Old July 7th, 2008   SageShinigami is offline   #22
SageShinigami
Master Geoffan

But I'll say this-- Superheroic Registration is a good idea, in principle anyway. Perhaps it could have been executed better, but story-wise, there naturally needs to be conflict, or something for the heroes to overcome. In this case, government legislation. But the basic idea of registering any super powers isn't so crazy. Ideally, those people wouldn't necessarily be forced to become superheroes if they didn't want to, but if they were so inclined, then they would get the training they needed, preferably from a Veteran Hero like Captain America. Otherwise, the heroes and law enforcement would at least have information on how to contain them should they go Rogue.

That's how I would have done it.
ddf
It really should've played out as The Government vs. The Superheroes, but I think that's been done before...somewhere. Instead they assassinated the character of my favorite superhero (Iron Man) and unmasked Spidey only to put it back on a couple months later in one of the least liked stories of the decade. Granted, that's not totally related but still.

Jumping in Headfirst - My blog, where I attempt to not suck at writing. Media stuff. Not so much about my personal life.
Old July 7th, 2008   booyah is offline   #23
booyah
Effing Awesome Horseman

Location: Arkham Asylum, revolving door for the Criminally Insane

Millar will inject himself into any and all conversations about Superman. That is his modus operandi. It's who he is.
The guy is just doing his job, and that's selling himself. And like a used car salesman with 20 wacky waving arm flailing inflatable tube men out by the street, Millar likes using hype, bright colors, and flat out B.S. to do just that: Whore himself out.

You think All Star Superman is great? Millar can do it better.
You think John's run on Action is pure uncut awesome? You should see what Millar can do with the title!!!
Didn't like the last couple of Superman movies? Millar's cinematic take on Superman would be like the Bible, Hostess Fruit Pies, and John Wayne movies all rolled into one, equaling unrivaled movie bad assness on a Biblical scale with a fruity after taste!!!!!!!

Now is any of that true? Hell if I know.
Am I a huge fan of Millar's? Not really. I like some stuff, the rest I could do with out.
Do I blame the man for loving the Superman character and wanting to live out his fanboy dream of being involved in the franchise in a huge way? Hell no!!!!
But at the same time, yeah, I think he's full of crap

I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum.....and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Old July 7th, 2008   mpjedi2 is offline   #24
mpjedi2
Mark Pracht

Honestly, the headline should read:

"Mark Millar Hopes by Throwing Bogus Information into the Air, a Real Producer and Director Might think His Opinion is 'Buzz-Worthy' and Bring Him in to Discuss the Film."

I actually don't mind Millar as a writer, but this shameless (and that is not an exaggeration) self-promotion just makes him look like a kid braying to gain attention.

Because we all know he's full of the brown stuff...

Old July 7th, 2008   Infernorhythm is offline   #25
Infernorhythm
Aspiring Writer

I really hope he has nothing to do with Superman. His "reimagining" of the character, based on his comic pitch, is not Superman. It's disturbingly different.

Personally, I loved Superman Returns. Brandon Routh was brilliant, Supes was not creepy, and despite homaging Donner a bit too much, Singer is probably the best choice for the film.

Let them make the sequel, please.

Superman Returns was a great film. DO NOT REBOOT!
Old July 7th, 2008   Drink is offline   #26
Drink
Official Scofflaw

It really should've played out as The Government vs. The Superheroes, but I think that's been done before...somewhere. Instead they assassinated the character of my favorite superhero (Iron Man) and unmasked Spidey only to put it back on a couple months later in one of the least liked stories of the decade. Granted, that's not totally related but still.
ddf
SageShinigami View Post
That isn't all Millar though, at least not entirely. Iron Man in his solo series is actually portrayed very well, and that's all that really counts. And Spider-Man was really a result of Joe Quesada being adamant on his stance on the marriage. Anyway, the biggest problem with Civil War was too many cooks tending the broth.

Also, another angle to consider about this-- Given that Wanted was a success (not following the buzz about it, but it didn't seem to tank thus far), and that Kick-Ass is well on its way towards being made into a movie, Millar is starting to develop more into a bankable source for movie ideas.

Not saying that guarantees it, but it means it might be possible.

Old July 7th, 2008   chrisbenes is offline   #27
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

His writing is terrible in comics, maybe it could work in a movie? I have never enjoyed much that this guy has wrote, and his hubris is disconcerting.

keep him away from the superman franchise.
ddf
General grievous View Post
Civil War....KICK ASS...Hardley a terrible writer. I respect your opinion but Millar is a great writer....OH...Wanted wasn't bad either.

Old July 7th, 2008   Brian LaBelle is offline   #28
Brian LaBelle
I teleported.

Civil War....Hardley a terrible writer. I respect your opinion but Millar is a great writer.
ddf
chrisbenes View Post
Does that mean he'll get Brubaker to write the end of the Superman movie too?

I'm down with that.

Old July 7th, 2008   ADGood is offline   #29
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

Do I blame the man for loving the Superman character and wanting to live out his fanboy dream of being involved in the franchise in a huge way? Hell no!!!!
But at the same time, yeah, I think he's full of crap
ddf
booyah View Post
Especially after he's eaten a load of Hostess Fruit Pies.

Old July 7th, 2008   AfroFett is offline   #30
AfroFett
Pie Reassignment Engineer

Maybe he could re-work the Wanted movie into something watchable before he plays with someone else's toys.

Old July 8th, 2008   General grievous is offline   #31
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

Civil War....KICK ASS...Hardley a terrible writer. I respect your opinion but Millar is a great writer....OH...Wanted wasn't bad either.
ddf
chrisbenes View Post
Civil war was not great. just overhyped.

"There is a Grant, Morrison be thy name!"
Old July 8th, 2008   TJLamb0518 is offline   #32
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Civil war was not great. just overhyped.
ddf
General grievous View Post
I respectfully disagree. From a Marvel readers standpoint, it was really a well thought out story with some pretty lasting consequences (so far). Hey, I was pretty upset by the ending as were a lot of other readers, until I re-read it and realized there was no other way the story could've ended. It was, to me, a solid story that tried (and pretty much did) to shake things up. It wasn't as cosmic or as clear cut as some readers wanted, and if you're primarily a DC fan I can see where this wouldn;t have been your cup of tea....but it was hardly overhyped. Or at least, not any more overhyped tha any other "event" put out by either company.

It's fine that you didn;t like it...that's why Baskin Robbins makes 31 flavors.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio