The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old July 7th, 2008   Asahi is offline   #1
Asahi
persona non grata

Default Mark Millar claims he will "re-invent" Superman for the next movie

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/enterta...6908-20621161/

The quote is at the bottom of the article.
While he is an executive producer on Wanted, he is a full producer on his next movie Kick-Ass. He claims there are some A-list names involved in the film about an ordinary boy who becomes a superhero.

But Mark's big dream is making a Superman movie.

He said: "Since I was a kid I've always wanted to reinvent Superman for the 21st century.

"I've been planning this my entire life. I've got my director and producer set up, and it'll be 2011. This is how far ahead you have to think.

God Mark Millar is full of crap.

"The Superman brand is toxic after that last movie lost Ű200million, but in 2011 we're hoping to restart it.

"Sadly I can't say who the director is, but we may make it official by Christmas.

"But fingers crossed it could work out, that would be my lifetime's dream."

God, Mark Millar is full of crap.

Old July 7th, 2008   Director of Everything is offline   #2
Director of Everything
YOU'RE ruining comics

woops...

Believe it or not, I LOVE COMICS!!! and it's only hard to tell because I know that they can be and SHOULD BE better.
Old July 7th, 2008   General grievous is offline   #3
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

His writing is terrible in comics, maybe it could work in a movie? I have never enjoyed much that this guy has wrote, and his hubris is disconcerting.

keep him away from the superman franchise.

"There is a Grant, Morrison be thy name!"
Old July 7th, 2008   Asahi is offline   #4
Asahi
persona non grata

woops...
ddf
Director of Everything View Post
Sorry, I thought this was new news.

Old July 7th, 2008   Drink is offline   #5
Drink
Official Scofflaw

His writing is terrible in comics, maybe it could work in a movie? I have never enjoyed much that this guy has wrote, and his hubris is disconcerting.

keep him away from the superman franchise.
ddf
General grievous View Post
Yeah, he might make it interesting!

Old July 7th, 2008   Not My Real Name is offline   #6
Not My Real Name*
The Invisible Horseman

ddf
Drink View Post
He might make Superman less creepy and stalkerish.

II + II = VII
Old July 7th, 2008   Chris Hansbrough is offline   #7
Chris Hansbrough
Scion of Mogo

hmmm...I wonder if asahi thinks mark millar is full of crap.....

EIC - Nerdstock Comics
Webhost - Plastikitty

X-Box Live : Scion of Mogo
PSN : Scion_of_Mogo
Steam : Scion_of_Mogo
Old July 7th, 2008   DrMylesOBoogie is offline   #8
DrMylesOBoogie
Neo Geoffan

[url]

God, Mark Millar is full of crap.
ddf
Asahi View Post
Yup.

Old July 7th, 2008   Asahi is offline   #9
Asahi
persona non grata

This thread should probably be merged or locked, shouldn't it?

Sorry for the duplicate.

Old July 7th, 2008   SageShinigami is offline   #10
SageShinigami
Master Geoffan

ddf
Drink View Post
Yup. If by "interesting" you mean "not a hero", then yeah. Of course, doing THAT to Superman would make him sell a lot. Which, sadly, says far too much about the state of society. *sighs*

Jumping in Headfirst - My blog, where I attempt to not suck at writing. Media stuff. Not so much about my personal life.
Old July 7th, 2008   Drink is offline   #11
Drink
Official Scofflaw

Yup. If by "interesting" you mean "not a hero", then yeah. Of course, doing THAT to Superman would make him sell a lot. Which, sadly, says far too much about the state of society. *sighs*
ddf
SageShinigami View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but Millar wrote one of the two Superman stories that have actually interested me. While I don't think a Commie Superman would work on the silver screen, the same sort of creative flair would be pretty good.

To add to that, a lot of stuff he has wrote, from Authority and Ultimates and even Civil War, all have a focus on Superhero's place in the "Real World" and their political and societal signifigance. That is something I think a Superman movie would benefit from, because realisitically speaking, he would be the world's biggest celebrity and public figure.

And to add with Civil War, the ending Millar originally intended wasn't near as bad as what actually ended up being, due to editorial changes. In Millar's original take, Steve realises the damage that their civil war caused, but still does not want the government running the heroes. Rather, he convinces everyone that the heroes should regulate themselves, under Tony, "The one man I can trust", who ends up running an independant organization instead of SHIELD.

And Millar might actually have Superman fight a Supervillain instead of a Bald Yuppie.

Old July 7th, 2008   Captrose is offline   #12
Captrose
Advanced Geoffan

And to add with Civil War, the ending Millar originally intended wasn't near as bad as what actually ended up being, due to editorial changes. In Millar's original take, Steve realises the damage that their civil war caused, but still does not want the government running the heroes. Rather, he convinces everyone that the heroes should regulate themselves, under Tony, "The one man I can trust", who ends up running an independant organization instead of SHIELD.
ddf
Drink View Post
Yeah, "the one I can trust" who combs his couch for Thor's hair to make a clone. The man who was handed an energy supply to help humanity and make a suit of armor to fight the god who gave it to him. Yeah, that's somebody I trust. (Nothing personal Drink, I just can't stand millar. My apologies to you if I offended you personally)

Millar, excuse me, millar is the comic book equivalent of any shock jock (mad cow, howard stern) and says lots of things that are just stupid ("people who play online games are pedos"). If DC has any sense, they won't let this hack anywhere near the Superman franchise.

Old July 7th, 2008   Chris Hansbrough is offline   #13
Chris Hansbrough
Scion of Mogo

Yeah, "the one I can trust" who combs his couch for Thor's hair to make a clone. The man who was handed an energy supply to help humanity and make a suit of armor to fight the god who gave it to him. Yeah, that's somebody I trust. (Nothing personal Drink, I just can't stand millar. My apologies to you if I offended you personally)

Millar, excuse me, millar is the comic book equivalent of any shock jock (mad cow, howard stern) and says lots of things that are just stupid ("people who play online games are pedos"). If DC has any sense, they won't let this hack anywhere near the Superman franchise.
ddf
Captrose View Post
He's right though.

I always play my onlige games wearing one

EIC - Nerdstock Comics
Webhost - Plastikitty

X-Box Live : Scion of Mogo
PSN : Scion_of_Mogo
Steam : Scion_of_Mogo
Old July 7th, 2008   SageShinigami is offline   #14
SageShinigami
Master Geoffan

I don't know about anyone else, but Millar wrote one of the two Superman stories that have actually interested me. While I don't think a Commie Superman would work on the silver screen, the same sort of creative flair would be pretty good.
ddf
Drink View Post
I respect that. At the same time though, I hope you understand when I say I hated Red Son more than any other comic I've ever heard of in years. I really did.

To add to that, a lot of stuff he has wrote, from Authority and Ultimates and even Civil War, all have a focus on Superhero's place in the "Real World" and their political and societal signifigance. That is something I think a Superman movie would benefit from, because realisitically speaking, he would be the world's biggest celebrity and public figure.
ddf
For me, the more "real" you try to make superheroes, the less interesting they become. (Except Batman, and even then Batman's not very realistic.) To me, the best way to play it is as close to the comic as possible, but carefully staying far away from that line between "This is just like the comic, except in real life!" and "This is just like the comic, but boy is it campy...!"

And Millar might actually have Superman fight a Supervillain instead of a Bald Yuppie.
ddf
....Admittedly, that ending wouldn't be as utterly stupid as the one we actually got. Heroes regulating themselves would've been MUCH better than heroes being regulated by the government. Still, CW should never have happened in the first place. Especially the end. One of the first things superheroes in both universes learn is "getting civilians clear". That all the heroes suddenly "forgot" made me very sad.

Jumping in Headfirst - My blog, where I attempt to not suck at writing. Media stuff. Not so much about my personal life.
Old July 7th, 2008   Mill4rd is offline   #15
Mill4rd
persona non grata

Oh god NO!

Old July 7th, 2008   Drink is offline   #16
Drink
Official Scofflaw

ddf
Captrose View Post
Probably not pedos, but Online gamers, the hardcore ones anyway, are in a different category than most people. I walked into a comic shop that also ran as an Internet cafe a few weeks back. I walked by the gamers playing some MMORPG, and hearing them go on about guilds and skills building and all that, I was so far out of my element there.

But yeah, the Clor thing was undeniably one of the bad things that the Pro-Reg side did, along with the N-Zone Gitmo. Mind you, the deck was pretty easily stacked against the Pro-Reg side in a number of ways. There's no way that "Looking out for the interests of the general public" could be seen as bad without either of those aspects.

But I'll say this-- Superheroic Registration is a good idea, in principle anyway. Perhaps it could have been executed better, but story-wise, there naturally needs to be conflict, or something for the heroes to overcome. In this case, government legislation. But the basic idea of registering any super powers isn't so crazy. Ideally, those people wouldn't necessarily be forced to become superheroes if they didn't want to, but if they were so inclined, then they would get the training they needed, preferably from a Veteran Hero like Captain America. Otherwise, the heroes and law enforcement would at least have information on how to contain them should they go Rogue.

That's how I would have done it.