The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old June 21st, 2008   Director of Everything is offline   #1
Director of Everything
YOU'RE ruining comics

Default Jonah Hex: the movie

HOLY ****, THAT JONAH HEX PICTURE WAS REAL

Sorry, even with all the fanboy enthusiasm in the world, he still doesn't look like Hex to me.

_Dan

Believe it or not, I LOVE COMICS!!! and it's only hard to tell because I know that they can be and SHOULD BE better.
Old June 21st, 2008   PMH is offline   #2
PMH
Freedom Fighter

blah...it was just a fake photo.

"I don't imagine there will be any X-Men similarities. Except when Damage starts smoking cigars and calling everyone "Bub."

SNIKT!" -Matt Sturges
Old June 21st, 2008   Asahi is offline   #3
Asahi
persona non grata

It wasn't fake.
Thomas Jane went to the trouble of doing it *himself*.
You know, I wish we'd see other actors with that kind of enthusiasm.

If the man wants to do the part that badly, let him do it!

Old June 21st, 2008   booyah is offline   #4
booyah
Effing Awesome Horseman

Location: Arkham Asylum, revolving door for the Criminally Insane

HOLY ****, THAT JONAH HEX PICTURE WAS REAL

Sorry, even with all the fanboy enthusiasm in the world, he still doesn't look like Hex to me.

_Dan
ddf
Director of Everything View Post
I dunno, ratty up his hair a little bit, and it could work. He's a damn fine actor. My only problem is that some movie goers who are layman's to the Hex property may have a hard time distinguishing one role of disgruntled gunslinger from another.
That aside, I say let him do it.

I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum.....and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Old June 21st, 2008   carmine007 is offline   #5
carmine007
Advanced Geoffan

The only man who could play Jonah Hex is Clint....howard.

Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions
Old June 23rd, 2008   Drink is offline   #6
Drink
Official Scofflaw

I dunno, ratty up his hair a little bit, and it could work. He's a damn fine actor. My only problem is that some movie goers who are layman's to the Hex property may have a hard time distinguishing one role of disgruntled gunslinger from another.
That aside, I say let him do it.
ddf
The way it'll be different from most Gunslinger movies is, to my understanding, it'll be based more on the various Lansdale series published under Vertigo, which naturally focussed more on the Supernatural. So instead of the Straight-up Western style that the original and current comics are, you'll have Hex taking on Zombies or Cthulhuoid creatures.

Take that as you will, but I say it makes sense purely from a screenplay position. After all, just about every Western plot and concept has been used and reused by the 1960's, and even today there's still enough Westerns being made that Jonah Hex might not stand out otherwise without an extra twist.

Only problem with this of course is-- well, it's a cowboy fighting Zombies or Cepholopodic monsters. Outside of comic books and cartoons, it's going to be cheesy no matter how you slice it.

If you aren't familar with those series, I should point out that Lansdale also wrote The BTAS episode that Jonah Hex starred in, with Ra's Al Ghul and the flying Dirigible. It was awesome.

Old June 23rd, 2008   booyah is offline   #7
booyah
Effing Awesome Horseman

Location: Arkham Asylum, revolving door for the Criminally Insane

The way it'll be different from most Gunslinger movies is, to my understanding, it'll be based more on the various Lansdale series published under Vertigo, which naturally focussed more on the Supernatural. So instead of the Straight-up Western style that the original and current comics are, you'll have Hex taking on Zombies or Cthulhuoid creatures.

Take that as you will, but I say it makes sense purely from a screenplay position. After all, just about every Western plot and concept has been used and reused by the 1960's, and even today there's still enough Westerns being made that Jonah Hex might not stand out otherwise without an extra twist.

Only problem with this of course is-- well, it's a cowboy fighting Zombies or Cepholopodic monsters. Outside of comic books and cartoons, it's going to be cheesy no matter how you slice it.

If you aren't familar with those series, I should point out that Lansdale also wrote The BTAS episode that Jonah Hex starred in, with Ra's Al Ghul and the flying Dirigible. It was awesome.
ddf
Drink View Post
That's true, but I was referring more to Jane's previous role as The Punisher (i.e. gunslinger) as opposed to any similarities between Hex and other old west gun fighters.

I apologize for any confusion, and realize maybe I should have made myself more clear in my original post.

And also, yes, that B:TAS episode was freakin' bad ass!!!

I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum.....and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Old June 23rd, 2008   Drink is offline   #8
Drink
Official Scofflaw

That's true, but I was referring more to Jane's previous role as The Punisher (i.e. gunslinger) as opposed to any similarities between Hex and other old west gun fighters.

I apologize for any confusion, and realize maybe I should have made myself more clear in my original post.

And also, yes, that B:TAS episode was freakin' bad ass!!!
ddf
booyah View Post
Ah, I see what you mean.

Well, Vertigo series or not, I'd like to think there's enough differences between Jonah Hex and The Punisher, aside from the historical setting of the books. The Punisher is an arguably insane vigilante who sees what he does as a war (Though the movie with Jane made him a lot more empathetic, even human), Jonah Hex is a cynical Bounty Hunter in it for the money, with the occasional bit of poetic justice. There's a lot more to it than that, but that's a pretty big difference in character right there.

Depends on how Jane plays it, but given the aformentioned "more empathetic/human" Punisher he played, all he has to do is play Jonah Hex true to form as the ol' ornery cuss he is and there should be no problem in how they're different from one another.

Old June 24th, 2008   Jeff Nowicki is offline   #9
Jeff Nowicki
Pineapple!

Too bad Aaron Eckhart is already playing a two-faced character in Batman because I think he has a grizzled charm that could really bring Jonah to life.

Animated Jonah is always fun...I loved his B:TAS episode and also enjoyed his Justice League Unlimited episode with Batman, WW and GL along with all the other DC western stars.

The DC Direct action figure of Jonah Hex came out this past week and looks awesome. It's one of the best sculpts they've ever produced!

Old June 24th, 2008   Argent is offline   #10
Argent*
Puppet Headed Horseman

ddf
Drink View Post
Yeah... as far as I can tell they may have canned that idea, but it's hard to tell.

Here's a script review from March that makes no mention of any fantasy elements but goes long on Hex's sardonic one-liners.
http://www.latinoreview.com/scriptreview.php?id=75

The trouble is, in typical internet group-think, everyone is quoting someone else's web article and no one has any real data to point to. Some sites are even saying Jayne is already cast as Hex because they didn't get the memo that he and his buddies made the picture themselves.

Personally, I hope they decided to dump the supernatural stuff, at least the idea of Monster Fighter Jonah Hex in favor of the more Gothic, psychological horror that truly is the life of Jonah Hex.

It's not just a podcast, it's a GEEK TRAGEDY!
Old June 24th, 2008   5andman is offline   #11
5andman
Master Geoffan

Yeah... as far as I can tell they may have canned that idea, but it's hard to tell.

Here's a script review from March that makes no mention of any fantasy elements but goes long on Hex's sardonic one-liners.
http://www.latinoreview.com/scriptreview.php?id=75

The trouble is, in typical internet group-think, everyone is quoting someone else's web article and no one has any real data to point to. Some sites are even saying Jayne is already cast as Hex because they didn't get the memo that he and his buddies made the picture themselves.

Personally, I hope they decided to dump the supernatural stuff, at least the idea of Monster Fighter Jonah Hex in favor of the more Gothic, psychological horror that truly is the life of Jonah Hex.
ddf
Argent View Post
It's going to be by the guys that did Crank ... so there's hope.

Old June 24th, 2008   DrMylesOBoogie is offline   #12
DrMylesOBoogie
Neo Geoffan

i like Tom Jane but I wish someone else was making it. Crank is one of the worst films ive ever seen.

Old June 24th, 2008   Jeff Nowicki is offline   #13
Jeff Nowicki
Pineapple!

They better not screw this up! I'm hoping for something like Eastwood's Unforgiven or 3:10 to Yuma...not something cheesy like Ghost Rider.

Old June 24th, 2008   Jake1823 is offline   #14
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

This is a movie that has to be pretty violent and gritty. It can't work otherwise, imo.

Where is everybody?
Old October 9th, 2008   Director of Everything is offline   #15
Director of Everything
YOU'RE ruining comics

Oh **** yeah!

Josh Brolin is Jonah Hex?
Josh Brolin, who can be seen in next week's W., has signed on to star in Warner Bros. Pictures' Jonah Hex. This has yet to be confirmed by the studio, so stay tuned.
ddf

Believe it or not, I LOVE COMICS!!! and it's only hard to tell because I know that they can be and SHOULD BE better.
Old October 9th, 2008   oddballuk is offline   #16
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

Oh **** yeah!

Josh Brolin is Jonah Hex?
ddf
Director of Everything View Post
That would excellent casting!

I hope this is definite!

(though i'm not keen on Gosling as Hal Jordon, i'm still hoping for Nathan Fillion!)

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews