The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old August 8th, 2008   Ian Larsen is offline   #33
Ian Larsen
Like Lightning.

I'm disappointed. I really wanted to see Geoff do this project. To me, GL is his baby.
ddf
The Krystal Method View Post
Yeah. I love Guggenheim. He did a great job with what he was given on TFMA. But if you're going to make comic book movie and get a comic book writer to work on it... it's kind of a no brainer. uh.... Geoff Johns. But I suppose Guggenheim has his feet in hollywood a lot more than Johns does. I think Johns kinda has his toe in the water over there, but Guggenheim's got a whole foot. But at least we know we have somebody on this project who loves comics and wants to see it done right. And a DC writer at that.

Caution: Rambling in Progress.
Old August 8th, 2008   JRM is offline   #34
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Yeah. I love Guggenheim. He did a great job with what he was given on TFMA. But if you're going to make comic book movie and get a comic book writer to work on it... it's kind of a no brainer. uh.... Geoff Johns. But I suppose Guggenheim has his feet in hollywood a lot more than Johns does. I think Johns kinda has his toe in the water over there, but Guggenheim's got a whole foot. But at least we know we have somebody on this project who loves comics and wants to see it done right. And a DC writer at that.
ddf
Ian Larsen View Post
The question is can one person do it all - at the same time?

If the choice was Geoff on movies but at the cost of his on-goings, does this still sound attractive?

Jim

Old August 8th, 2008   Ian Larsen is offline   #35
Ian Larsen
Like Lightning.

Yeah. Well, that's another thing. Of course I'd rather have Geoff work in comics than sacrifice him for movies.

but, then... I don't know... if Geoff Johns on Green Lantern meant a film the same quality as TDK, then.... that's hard. AFTER Blackest Night and Rebirth.... yes. haha.

I could see them making this a trilogy, though.

1- GL with final fight against his mentor-Sinestro, who's gone power-mad

2- GL Corps vs. Sinestro Corps

3- Light War/Blackest Night [although we don't really know what that means yet]

Basically, if they used the 1st movie as origin, etc, then kind of combined Rebirth and Sinestro Corps War for 2 [minus crazy Parallax continuity] and then hit it with Blackest Night...

I don't know, though, it's a lot to put in 3 movies.

But I think the first 2, at least, are on point.

Caution: Rambling in Progress.
Old August 14th, 2008   Director of Everything is offline   #36
Director of Everything
YOU'RE ruining comics

Green Lantern Script Details
The story follows the traditional Hal Jordan/Green Lantern story lines to a certain degree including the battle between Legion and Abin Sur, Abin Sur's crash landing on Earth, as well as the choosing of Hal Jordan over Guy Gardner and Clark Kent.

Parts are straight out of the Emerald Dawn series including Jordan's simulator being ripped out of the training center and flown to a dying Abin Sur and Hal Jordan going to Oa to help defeat Legion.

The major difference is in the Sinestro character arch. I don't want to give too much away but the writers were very careful to stay true to the character without blowing their load on the first film.

The other difference is also introducing Hector Hammond into the story line and making him the big threat to Earth or Gaia if you prefer.
ddf
I know that's gonna sqeeze a lotta fans' berries, but... YES. Legion AND Sinestro?? With a lil Hector Hammond thrown in? Not bad.

But best of all... Legion! Dig it.

Believe it or not, I LOVE COMICS!!! and it's only hard to tell because I know that they can be and SHOULD BE better.
Old August 14th, 2008   Wally West888 is offline   #37
Wally West888
Green Lantern's Light

Well the script seems good to me but I'd rather see Atrocitus than Legion though I liked him killing Abin Sur than a giant Yellow robot.

I hope they get Brandon Routh or Tom Welling to be Clark in the movie if he is, because then this could be the start of the DC Movie Universe, like how Marvel is doing.

A Green Lantern Overcomes Fear Everytime They Face It!-Hal Jordan-Green Lantern

Don't Call Me Superman...Call Me Superboy!-Conner Kent-Superboy
Old August 17th, 2008   JordanGLC is offline   #38
JordanGLC

It pretty much all sounds good to me. The way the writer is describing it though it sounds like we could see other Lanterns using their rings before we see Hal get his. If that's true, I think they should reconsider. Let the audience discover the power of the ring along with Hal. That was also a big concern of mine about the Justice League movie coming out first. If they showed a Lantern ring slinging in that film it would have taken a lot of oomph out of what makes an origin story fun: seeing the powers for the first time. So, if George Miller gets tabbed to direct this instead of JL it would eliminate that concern.

One thing I hope they do before Hal gets the ring is establish that he is a hero without it. Have him risk his life to save others during an industrial accident at Ferris Aircraft or something like that.

Also, unlike other recent superhero movies, this Green Lantern story has science fiction elements such as visiting other planets and major space battles.
ddf
IESB.net
Gotta love that. It'd be great if they allude to the Rann-Thanagar War in this movie and have it be a plot element in a future movie. It'd be ripe for metaphors and subtext aplenty that could add a lot of meat to a story. Plus, we could see Adam Strange and Hawkman, two characters we may never see otherwise.

It has the potential to be bigger than Iron Man...
ddf
IESB.net
but of course
...or maybe even The Dark Knight.
ddf
IESB.net
Uh, ok.

I'm really interested to see what they do with Sinestro in this film...

Old August 18th, 2008   Hari Seldon is offline   #39
Hari Seldon
The Silent Cartographer

Hmm... in their latest article about the aborted Justice League film, they had the following note at the bottom:

"In any case, Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim and Michael Green's Green Lantern seems to definitely be a “go”, we were contacted by WB and the filmmakers in hopes to squash any further plot leaks considering our script review was entitled “Part 1”...which begs the question, what's in “Part 2”??!!

Well, we agreed to not leak any further plot points and story details to calm the ruffled feathers, but one thing is for certain, Green Lantern it is a well-written action-packed tight story ready to bring Green Lantern and Hal Jordan to the forefront of superhero cinema lore."

Anyway - Legion, Tomar-Re, Carol and Tom? Wow. But...Hector Hammond? Now that's an esoteric choice. I wonder if they were jazzed by Geoff's creepy drooler.

And uhh....I do mean Hector.

listen: there's a hell of a good universe next door; let's go

E.E. Cummings
Old August 18th, 2008   Warrior-4-ever is offline   #40
Warrior-4-ever
persona non grata

I'm sorry to say but I'll believe it when I see it.

Old August 18th, 2008   Kiryu is offline   #41
Kiryu
persona non grata

I can't say I'm that excited about anything Marc Guggenhiem is involved with. Shame though, GL could make an awesome movie.

Old August 18th, 2008   jafabian is offline   #42
jafabian
I’m not dead.

I think the concept of the GLC itself will carry a movie. Remember, George Lucas was inspired by them to create the Jedi Knights. If they can carry a movie franchise so can the GLC on their own. A good story and movie production is icing on the cake, IMO.

Old September 4th, 2008   Director of Everything is offline   #43
Director of Everything
YOU'RE ruining comics

Green Lantern Concept Art

Believe it or not, I LOVE COMICS!!! and it's only hard to tell because I know that they can be and SHOULD BE better.
Old September 4th, 2008   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #44
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

my only fear with this movie...fans are expecting SOOO much. they want references to sinestro corps war, they want references to Rann/Thanagar, they want superman to show up and get the movies connected...i read on another board someone wants to see hints of a JLA movie formed AND a sinestro corps war.

Man, it's a GREEN LANTERN MOVIE. First and foremost, it should focus on the GL, and on establishing him. All that other stuff comes second.

Check out Pulpline Magazine for original prose content! Submissions welcome!
Old September 4th, 2008   Kiryu is offline   #45
Kiryu
persona non grata

Reading that script excerpt...LAME.

The GL Mythos is great in that you have a built in actual SUPER-VILLAIN as part of the character's origin. Use Sinestro! Don't just sit on him, make the first movie a Sinestro/Hal story of growing friendship and betrayal and set it up to have Sinestro bust out of the Anti-Matter world with his own Corps for the sequel.

What was a major complaint about Superman Returns? There was no full-on villain for Superman to fight. Same with Batman Begins with Ra's non existence in the movie. What did a lot of people, including me(As someone who hated TDK) enjoy about the Dark Knight? The effing villains. What did people like about the new Hulk movie? Hulk vs Abomination?!

It's impossible to "blow their load" with on movie when it comes to comic movies because there DECADES of awesome stories to go back and draw from.

Bleh bleh bleh. Guggenhiem plus a director with one movie(A romantic comedy)whose worked on nothing but crap. I hope this movie bombs just as hard as The Dark Knight won.

Old September 4th, 2008   GDS-1 is offline   #46
GDS-1
Neo Geoffan

my only fear with this movie...fans are expecting SOOO much. they want references to sinestro corps war, they want references to Rann/Thanagar, they want superman to show up and get the movies connected...i read on another board someone wants to see hints of a JLA movie formed AND a sinestro corps war.

Man, it's a GREEN LANTERN MOVIE. First and foremost, it should focus on the GL, and on establishing him. All that other stuff comes second.
ddf
Peter Aitken View Post

Hmmm....which one

Old September 5th, 2008   E-MAC is offline   #47
E-MAC
Advanced Geoffan

I think Legion will more than fit the Super Villan role, and of course this movie will focus on Hal Jordan.

"If at first you don't succeed, try Kyle again!".
Old September 5th, 2008   Wally West888 is offline   #48
Wally West888
Green Lantern's Light

I think Legion will more than fit the Super Villan role, and of course this movie will focus on Hal Jordan.
ddf
E-MAC View Post
Legion will be a good villain because I really hope Sinestro is a good guy in this film and in the second one be a villain for Hal, but I've seen the concept art and it looks awesome, So I can't wait this movie sounds really good, the cast needs to be good though.

A Green Lantern Overcomes Fear Everytime They Face It!-Hal Jordan-Green Lantern

Don't Call Me Superman...Call Me Superboy!-Conner Kent-Superboy