The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old May 25th, 2007   magicspoon is offline   #1
magicspoon
Eye See You

Default Official Batman ARG Thread

With the Joker unveil and some other news starting to leak out, I've heard that 42 Entertainment (the company behind I Love Bees and the NiN ARG) is developing a Batman ARG - so in that interest, here's your hub!

"Habagase, Get in the Room!"
http://www.harmoniousgrid.com/
Old May 25th, 2007   alucardbarnivous is offline   #2
alucardbarnivous
Jerry Whitworth

With the Joker unveil and some other news starting to leak out, I've heard that 42 Entertainment (the company behind I Love Bees and the NiN ARG) is developing a Batman ARG - so in that interest, here's your hub!
ddf
magicspoon View Post
Sweet. I wonder when does it drop?

I can only imagine it has something to do with I Believe in Harvey Dent and I Believe in Harvey Dent Too.
Last edited by alucardbarnivous; May 25th, 2007 at 10:54 AM.

To keep up-to-date with me, friend me on Facebook.
Old May 25th, 2007   Bob Francis is offline   #3
Bob Francis
Sheesh.

Okay... what does ARG mean?

Bob Francis: Writer
AWAKEN, FLIGHT CAPTAIN HURRICANE, and More!
Be Daring, Regret Nothing
Old May 25th, 2007   Not My Real Name is offline   #4
Not My Real Name*
The Invisible Horseman

ddf
Stormking View Post
I think it's the most used word in the script for Pirates of the Caribbean.

II + II = VII
Old May 25th, 2007   alucardbarnivous is offline   #5
alucardbarnivous
Jerry Whitworth

ddf
Stormking View Post
Alternate-Reality Game; essentially, you pretend the world of the film/show/game is real and that you are somehow pulled into some game to explore a mystery of the world.

I think it's the most used word in the script for Pirates of the Caribbean.
ddf
Not My Real Name View Post
lol

Old May 25th, 2007   Lion Blade is offline   #6
Lion Blade
Autistic Artist

Alternate-Reality Game; essentially, you pretend the world of the film/show/game is real and that you are somehow pulled into some game to explore a mystery of the world.
ddf
alucardbarnivous View Post
In other words, this is like what Tim Kring and his team were trying to do with Heroes, which is not a bad thing as it makes things fun. BTW, thanks for the info !

I rather be open-minded than be ignorant. This may sound harsh, but that's what I believe.
Old May 25th, 2007   alucardbarnivous is offline   #7
alucardbarnivous
Jerry Whitworth

In other words, this is like what Tim Kring and his team were trying to do with Heroes, which is not a bad thing as it makes things fun. BTW, thanks for the info !
ddf
Lion Blade View Post
I'm hoping it's more like the Lost Experience, personally. lol No prob.

Old May 25th, 2007   John Hays is offline   #8
John Hays
Lovin life!

I'm hoping it's more like the X-Box one from a while back.

"What we've got here is ... failure to communicate." - Cool Hand Luke

3 time consecutive Comicbloc College Basketball Tournament Champion!
Old May 25th, 2007   magicspoon is offline   #9
magicspoon
Eye See You

I'm hoping it's more like the Lost Experience, personally. lol No prob.
ddf
alucardbarnivous View Post
ya, the lost deal is one, I love bees is one, as is Our Colony, or the game for davinci code, or dare I say our who is benjamin stove

Old May 25th, 2007   Infernorhythm is offline   #10
Infernorhythm
Aspiring Writer

It would be cool if its like the Nine Inch Nails Year Zero ARG. That was cool.

Superman Returns was a great film. DO NOT REBOOT!
Old May 25th, 2007   magicspoon is offline   #11
magicspoon
Eye See You

It would be cool if its like the Nine Inch Nails Year Zero ARG. That was cool.
ddf
Infernorhythm View Post
still is, it's supposedly an 18-month arc.

Old May 25th, 2007   magicspoon is offline   #12
magicspoon
Eye See You

this site has a more in-depth read on the work to-date.
http://catchupblog.typepad.com/catch...n_the_blo.html

Old May 25th, 2007   Old School is offline   #13
Old School
persona non grata

so its a tv show?

Old May 25th, 2007   Not My Real Name is offline   #14
Not My Real Name*
The Invisible Horseman

Click on the link Spoon provided. That should answer your question.

II + II = VII
Old May 30th, 2007   CapeandCowl is offline   #15
CapeandCowl
Gad Fly

Evidence: The Last Ritual is the best ARG game ever made if you ask me.

Old June 16th, 2007   stickmangrit is offline   #16
stickmangrit

a fun tidbit from the IMDB message boards regarding the implications of the ARG so far:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When the ibelieveinharveydenttoo site hit the web, it was immediately hit hard with just as much doubt as active users. During this time most anyone cared about was the picture, and while some discussion of some of the other tidbits went on during this time, once the picture was finished and the site went to it's current state, everything but people thinking they had something new to show IMDB disappeared. Since then there are still plenty of discussions about the Joker's pic and a steady influx of repeat postings of the picture, but I haven't seen a few know VERY relevant things discussed.

When the site was up I tried to discuss this in the midst of doubt, but I think now the community will be much more receptive to it. There were a few choice tidbits of dialogue on the site that are now confirmed as from the Joker himself. The first hint was the email address of the email containing the links and pixel data. [email protected]. This address sets up an image that carries over into the actual email itself. Here is the email as sent by the mentioned address.

--------------

I always say, you never know what a man is truly made of until you peel the skin off his face one piece at a time. Here is your chance to help:
http://www.ibelieveinharveydenttoo.c...8d256210eba84e

X = ##
Y = ###

--------------

A very grim, Jokerly thing to say. This comment ties into the original page, with Harvey Dent being defaced and slowly revealing the picture of the Joker underneath. At the time I decided and still very much believe this is all part of "I Believe In Harvey Dent Too". He sees the same thing that made him the Joker inside Harvey Dent, he "believes" in Harvey Dent, and his point is made by us slowly "peeling off" Harvey Dent to find "what he is truly made of" underneath, that being a picture of the Joker, showing that the Joker believes he and Harvey Dent are very much the same.

Before I diverge into the next comment, let me speak on why this is a vastly underused piece of data. Since the site has been confirmed, this stuff has almost never been analyzed. Using it vastly changes the common itnerpretation of the Joker, which unlike this is based on nothing but the average fan opinion. The information above, taken directly from the infamous site, points to a thought process strikingly similar to the Joker's motives in The Killing Joke, proving that any man, any James Gordon, can end up in the same situation as Joker given the right circumstances. The Killing Joke has already been confirmed as an influence in some way,

And that leaves us to wonder why this Joker would want to make that point. Well, the next part goes down that road. Remember the address this is sent from, the next parts seem to tie into the vague tragicpast reference. The following is an email you received if you sent a message to the [email protected] address (I have checked and it no longer appears to work).

--------------

People always ask me about my charming boyish smile. Jessica used to love it. She was the loneliest girl in high school, and my first big kiss...

--------------

This seems to me very clear in what is implying, but processing that this is all in reference to the Joker is almost difficult due to its strong implications. This implies that the writer, The Joker, was once involved in some way with a loner girl in High School. The big kiss comment could easily be sinister in nature, so it's hard to tell the exact feelings. What I like most about this message however, is its reference to the Joker as having an attractive feature. Realizing that Heath Ledger plays the Joker, underneath the makeup and the obvious eventual scarring, he is an attractive person. I've loved this subtle little reference because it is something that is obviously destroyed at some point. Whether that is before the movie starts or midway through, it can easily be assumed it would push "The Joker" to a heightened state of psychosis from where he was previously, and if we assume the Batman scars him as strongly rumored, we might simply say it is what causes the Joker to focus much more acutely on Batman.

In closing, all of this is incredibly interesting because it comes from THE SOURCE. This stuff was there to tease us just as much as the picture, and that puts a lot of weight into. Everything I have posted has such a strong, immediate meaning to it that it, in my opinion, quickly changes the entire idea this community has build around who our new Joker really is. At face value it presents the tale of a theatrical madman who at one point my have had a truly tragic past that led him to this point in his life. Or, it paints the picture of a sicko *beep* with us in a way oh so very Jokerly.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and give credit where credit's due, nothing tops the Beast in terms of quality. the first and still head and shoulders above the rest.