The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old September 26th, 2006   Director of Everything is offline   #1
Director of Everything
YOU'RE ruining comics

Default Superman "2" discussion

Well, until the sequel to Superman Returns gets a full title, this'll have to do.

Let's start this off with a little of "Bryan Singer on the Superman Sequel"

TODAYonline caught up with Superman Returns director Bryan Singer, who talked a bit more about the sequel. Here's a clip:

However, at July's annual Comic Con International in San Diego, a convention of comic book, film and science fiction fans, Singer had revealed that the follow-up film would have more action.

"I plan to get all 'Wrath of Khan' on it," he told convention goers at the time, referring to the 1982 film Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan. Asked to expand on his remarks, Singer told TODAY: "What I was referring to was the fact that, when you do a first film like X-Men, for example, you're introducing a world and a set of characters.

"Once those characters are introduced, once we've lived with them for awhile and we know them, when you get into a second film like an Empire Strikes Back (sequel to Star Wars: A New Hope) or a Wrath of Khan, you can make an action-adventure film and you don't have to bank all that time getting to know the characters. Now you can raise the stakes, raise the jeopardy and make a leaner, meaner movie."

You can read the full interview in PDF format at the link above.
ddf
DoE

Believe it or not, I LOVE COMICS!!! and it's only hard to tell because I know that they can be and SHOULD BE better.
Old September 26th, 2006   Marky is offline   #2
Marky*
Flippa Dippa Horseman!

I really wish this project well as Returns didn't do as well as the studio hoped.

I'd like to Lois and Superman together but not at the expense of cheaply doing away with Richard White, as long as thier break up is credible. I'd like to see Lois show/admit some feelings for Clark in the next movie aswell. One of the things I found difficult in Returns was the fact that Lois had slept with Superman but wouldn't give Clark the time of day.

This also bothered me from a "fuzzy" continuity issue, I know the movie was only supposed to "loosely" follow on from 1 and 2 but if Lois didn't remeber her and Supes sleeping together why isn't she freaked out by the revelation and if she DID remember why doesn't she remember he's Clark Kent? But that's a whole other topic that's probably been done to death here already!

I hope the villain/s will be cool in this one with maybe a psyhical non-kryptonote threat for Superman. One of my gripes with Returns was that we got pre-crisis mad scientist Lex rather than business man/King of Metropolis Lex. I would have liked to see Lex having maybe dubiously risen to business power between movies rather than dubiously pleasuring an old lady for her wealth!!!

If Singer can up the ante like he did with X2 then this movie will be something special

Old September 26th, 2006   Director of Everything is offline   #3
Director of Everything
YOU'RE ruining comics

I really wish this project well as Returns didn't do as well as the studio hoped.

I'd like to Lois and Superman together but not at the expense of cheaply doing away with Richard White, as long as thier break up is credible. I'd like to see Lois show/admit some feelings for Clark in the next movie aswell. One of the things I found difficult in Returns was the fact that Lois had slept with Superman but wouldn't give Clark the time of day.

This also bothered me from a "fuzzy" continuity issue, I know the movie was only supposed to "loosely" follow on from 1 and 2 but if Lois didn't remeber her and Supes sleeping together why isn't she freaked out by the revelation and if she DID remember why doesn't she remember he's Clark Kent? But that's a whole other topic that's probably been done to death here already!
ddf
Marky View Post
Yeah, not to open this back up again, but simply put, IF S2 is in "continuity" (UGH), then you could say that Supes powers made Lois forget that he and Clark were one and the same, NOT that Lois had a torrid love affair with Superman.

I hope the villain/s will be cool in this one with maybe a psyhical non-kryptonote threat for Superman. One of my gripes with Returns was that we got pre-crisis mad scientist Lex rather than business man/King of Metropolis Lex.
ddf
Actually, I thought we lost both of those evrsions out to "real estate Lex". Even worse.

Now then...
Superman 2.

Believe it or not, I LOVE COMICS!!! and it's only hard to tell because I know that they can be and SHOULD BE better.
Old September 26th, 2006   DBN is offline   #4
DBN
Geoffan

I just hope that Singer has enough sense not to use Zod in the sequel.

Superman has a pretty big rogue's gallery and a Zod rehash isn't needed.

"These "No-Nonsense" solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time-travel."

-Superman
Old September 26th, 2006   Captrose is offline   #5
Captrose
Advanced Geoffan

Let Zod go, bring in somebody else. Brainiac would be perfect, I think Titano would be good, Bizarro another good choice. Here's my thing, I liked Returns but it had very little action (Kind of like X1). SR2 needs to have action. Someone who can go toe to toe with the big guy. I still say SR2 need something like the end fight in Matrix Revolutions. We've had enough Luthor thank you very much. Now we need to have some more "Holy Crap" moments like the saving of the air craft. Supes needs to have a bad guy he can do some fighting with.
My opinion anyway...

Old September 26th, 2006   Marky is offline   #6
Marky*
Flippa Dippa Horseman!

Absolutely, a phsyical threat is what's needed. I remember seeing that Matrix scene and thinking "they need to make that Superman movie quick!!!"

Metallo and Bizarro could even give Lex a role as manipulater/creator but it maybe better to leave him fro the next one?

Old September 26th, 2006   Infernorhythm is offline   #7
Infernorhythm
Aspiring Writer

I've actually made a treatment/outline for a Superman Returns sequel. I doubt it would even get any attention from the studios or Singer, but I spent some time on it. It's got Brainiac, the Eradicator, an unhappy Luthor/Supes team up, insight into Krypton's destruction and what was there when Supes went back to Krypton pre-Returns.

I honestly can't wait for Singer's sequel though. Despite the minor flaws littering Returns (I wish they had kept in some of the deleted scenes), it really captured what Superman is, and for that it earned a 4.5/5 in my book.

Superman Returns was a great film. DO NOT REBOOT!
Old September 26th, 2006   Jeff Shabazz is offline   #8
Jeff Shabazz
persona non grata

Braniac, but in the form of Kryptonian technology Lex comes across and twists it for his own devices. It takes over all of the computers and by extension much of the machinery of the world, including its nuclear arsenal. I think that would make for a good setting for a sequel.

Old October 26th, 2006   Director of Everything is offline   #9
Director of Everything
YOU'RE ruining comics

Superman Returns Sequel Moving Ahead?
With Superman Returns breaking $200 Million domestically and a worldwide gross of over $390 million, Warner Bros. is moving forward with the sequel.

Weeks before the DVD has it’s grandiose release, the IESB has learned that Bryan Singer has finalized a deal to move forward with the sequel this past weekend and the studio is planning to start production sometime next fall, possibly next September.

When the IESB contacted a studio rep for comments we got this response - Warner Bros. does not comment on projects that are in development. A few calls later, other studio insiders confirmed that the deal was finalized last week and the team that brought Superman Returns to theaters earlier this year will return for the sequel.

We have been told that a couple of things are for certain. For one, the sequel will have a slightly smaller budget. Returns budget was approximately $208 million dollars with P&A (prints and ads) of about $50 million putting it at around $260. The sequel is expected to be around $140-175 million plus marketing.

Second, more action, tons more action is expected this time around. The studio was quite happy with the way Supes was reintroduced to the world and next time around expect to see him in full action battle mode. We’ve been told that Superman will have the battle of his life in the sequel and audiences can expect one of the ultimate baddies in the D.C. universe to come to Metropolis to pick a fight with the Man of Steel.

Stay tuned to the IESB for the latest Superman news.
ddf

Old October 26th, 2006   Marky is offline   #10
Marky*
Flippa Dippa Horseman!

Great news! Hopefully some of that budget in the first movie was getting the technology/effects etc in place so that, now it's there, they wont miss it that much on the sequel.

I wonder who this "ulitmate baddie" is?! Probably Brainiac but my first thought on reading that phrase was Darksied!!!

Old October 26th, 2006   SNW21 is offline   #11
SNW21
GeoffJohns.com Original

Superman Returns Sequel Moving Ahead?
ddf
Director of Everything View Post
Maybe the new villain will be DOOMSDAY?

Old October 26th, 2006   k26dp is offline   #12
k26dp
Earth-7's L73dp

Maybe the new villain will be DOOMSDAY?
ddf
SNW21 View Post
Ugh. I hope not... I'd rather see someone interesting like Brainiac. Or Metallo. Or Bizarro. Or even Toyman and Prankster.

Anyway, this is great news!

Old October 26th, 2006   booyah is offline   #13
booyah
Effing Awesome Horseman

Location: Arkham Asylum, revolving door for the Criminally Insane

Great news indeed!!!
Another Super sequel.... excuse my enthusiasm, but: Whoooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I think Brainiac would be THE villain to do in the next film.
Zod and Lex have already been done. I understand that Lex may be back, but I would rather he take a backseat to a NEW bad guy.

I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum.....and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Old October 26th, 2006   jafabian is offline   #14
jafabian
I’m not dead.

I just hope that Singer has enough sense not to use Zod in the sequel.

Superman has a pretty big rogue's gallery and a Zod rehash isn't needed.
ddf
DBN View Post
I don't know about that simply because it's well documented that Singer has approached Jude Law on at least three different occassions about playing Zod. Word is though is that the studio is leaning towards Brainiac as the next villain. I'd love to see that simply because it makes more sense. Having a Luthor/Brainiac team up would be very, VERY cool.

Old November 6th, 2006   Director of Everything is offline   #15
Director of Everything
YOU'RE ruining comics

Brandon Routh on the Superman Sequel
"Bryan [Singer] said at Comic-Con they were going to add some more fighting elements and stuff like that," said Routh. "That might be kind of interesting to throw some punches or throw something, I don't know, a little more active."

Routh is going to have to hit the gym again to get back into fighting shape, but not just yet. "I think I've got a while. We probably won't start for another at least six months. They've got to get things written so I'm still in the gym. I still work out a little bit but certainly not as much as I had been."

Visit the link above for more. In related news, the official Superman Returns website has been updated with DVD info.
ddf
Brandon Routh and some other guy
MORE info at the link above.

DoE

Old November 6th, 2006   KevinTBrown is offline   #16
KevinTBrown
My give a damn's busted

Ugh. I hope not... I'd rather see someone interesting like Brainiac. Or Metallo. Or Bizarro. Or even Toyman and Prankster.

Anyway, this is great news!
ddf
k26dp View Post
I'd like to see Brainiac as the KEY villain with him sending villains out to "soften up" Superman. Villains like Metallo, Neutron, Bloodsport and Parasite. Villains that Brainiac could, for the sake of the movie, have created.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

KTB is right...
ddf
Mackaybear