The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old September 9th, 2006   Jake1823 is offline   #17
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

I dunno. I think there should be a mix of both. I mean, a totally insane Joker with an equally insane laugh scared the hell out of me.

I do hope they show a start of Joker's obsession with Batman, a la DKR.

Where is everybody?
Old September 9th, 2006   The Flash is offline   #18
The Flash
Geoffan

So guys, what are your exact thoughts on this? Do you think Ledger has a good feel on the character, as well as his characteristics? That he'll be doing his own research with the comics, and Joker's backround?

Old September 9th, 2006   Director of Everything is offline   #19
Director of Everything
YOU'RE ruining comics

Heath's a good actor.

I'm sure it'll be fine.

Believe it or not, I LOVE COMICS!!! and it's only hard to tell because I know that they can be and SHOULD BE better.
Old September 10th, 2006   mego joe is offline   #20
mego joe
Geoffan

Never seen him in anything so I can't comment on the actor, but everything I'm hearing about the approach to the character makes me very excited.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old September 11th, 2006   The Flash is offline   #21
The Flash
Geoffan

Ledger speaks again!!

original source: :http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/ledger.php

"I actually hate comic book movies, like f***ing hate them, they just bore me sh**less and they're just dumb. But I thought what Chris Nolan did with [BATMAN BEGINS] was actually really good, really well directed, and Christian Bale was really great in it."

"He's going to be really sinister and it's going to be less about his laugh and his pranks and more about just him being a just a f***ing sinister guy."

[Asked if he decides to do a big movie like this, because of agent pressure.] "I'm sure they're super happy that I'm doing this [THE DARK KNIGHT], because this is the first time I've really kind of taken something like that, so they're over the moon. But I think it's just going to be a really fun experience, and I love to dress up and wear a mask."

[How will his Joker look?] "I've seen a few interesting designs on the look and I think that it's going to look pretty cool."
ddf
Thoughts? What do you guys think?

Old September 11th, 2006   booyah is offline   #22
booyah
Effing Awesome Horseman

Location: Arkham Asylum, revolving door for the Criminally Insane

Ledger speaks again!!

original source: :http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/ledger.php

Thoughts? What do you guys think?
ddf
The Flash View Post
I hope he was talking about masks metaphorically and not literally.....I really think replacing the scarred and painted face and replacing it with a mask would really hurt the character......but I could be wrong.

I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum.....and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Old September 11th, 2006   booyah is offline   #23
booyah
Effing Awesome Horseman

Location: Arkham Asylum, revolving door for the Criminally Insane

I dunno. I think there should be a mix of both. I mean, a totally insane Joker with an equally insane laugh scared the hell out of me.

I do hope they show a start of Joker's obsession with Batman, a la DKR.
ddf
Jake1823 View Post
Gotta go with Jake here......sinister is all well and good, and is a direction I would love to see...but you can't just ignore the creepiness that "the laugh" adds to the character.

I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum.....and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Old September 11th, 2006   The Flash is offline   #24
The Flash
Geoffan

I hope he was talking about masks metaphorically and not literally.....I really think replacing the scarred and painted face and replacing it with a mask would really hurt the character......but I could be wrong.
ddf
booyah View Post

Yeah, I think he was for sure. Especially since he said he's "seen designs" of how Joker would look like. I think he was just saying it for fun, considering he got the part.

Anyone else?

Old September 11th, 2006   Infernorhythm is offline   #25
Infernorhythm
Aspiring Writer

Dude, Joker done Golden Age style. I couldn't be happier. None of the campy drek or any of that DKR over the top stuff.

Superman Returns was a great film. DO NOT REBOOT!
Old September 12th, 2006   The Flash is offline   #26
The Flash
Geoffan

Yeah, I'm really glad they're going with the classic Joker. And I know we'll get some joke here and there. It's part of the character after all.

Old September 17th, 2006   Director of Everything is offline   #27
Director of Everything
YOU'RE ruining comics

Finally, Some Scuttlebutt! Lachy Hulme Interview
Finally some rumors worth running with for y'all. Trust me, I get tons of "scoops" everyday. However, what I've got today is from people I know and trust, so I decided to pass it along to y'all. Remember, this is nothing official, just the "inside scuttlebutt" I've heard of late...

As I imagined, the production of THE DARK KNIGHT is under the highest of security. There’s been nary a word about the production since the title and Heath Ledger would be playing The Joker was announced. Honestly, this is the quietest it has been since the end of BATMAN BEGINS‘ theater run...

The word is that Liev Schreiber is not/no longer in the mix to play Harvey Dent -- which I hope is not true because he’s long been my fave for the part…

Now some of you all will dig this -- sort of blast from the past, so to speak. Guy Pearce’s name has popped up again as a candidate for Harvey Dent. Methinks his past association with Chris Nolan (MEMENTO) is again at the root of this rumor. I do think Pearce would be a nice choice, but I'm not holding my breath…

The talk is that more official casting news will come soon, perhaps around the time THE PRESTIGE is released to cash in on the hype. And that works vice versa as well -- you know what I mean? So keep an ear to the wall around the middle of October.
ddf
I think he's kinda old... If he's supposed to a contemporary for Bruce Wayne that is.

DoE

Believe it or not, I LOVE COMICS!!! and it's only hard to tell because I know that they can be and SHOULD BE better.
Old September 26th, 2006   Director of Everything is offline   #28
Director of Everything
YOU'RE ruining comics

Michael Caine Starts Filming The Dark Knight in March
Michael Caine says on his official website that he will reprise the role of Alfred Pennyworth in The Dark Knight starting in March:

In January I start shooting a remake of "Sleuth" with Jude Law directed by Kenneth Branagh with a very different screen play from the original by Harold Pinter. After that in March I reprise my Butler roll in the second "Batman" again directed by Christopher Noland starring Christian Bale. This one is "The Joker" and the Joker is Heath Ledger. Great casting.
ddf

Old September 26th, 2006   Jake1823 is offline   #29
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

I'm glad Caine is coming back. He was great as Alfred. Was it announced whether Morgan Freeman was coming back?

Where is everybody?
Old September 26th, 2006   Superboy-Prime is offline   #30
Superboy-Prime
Neo Geoffan

Yeah, same here. Caine was awesome.

As far as Ledger goes, I think he'll do a fine job as The Joker. He seems to have a good grasp on the character from the interviews I've read, but I just hope that the laugh will be included more than it apparently will be in the final product. Although I can understand why Nolan may want to shy away from it I suppose. Unfortunately, the general public will likely be quick to compare Ledger's Joker with Nicholson's. But hopefully that will die down quickly, as it seems like Ledger's Joker will be played completely different than how Nicholson played The Joker in Burton's 1989 Batman flick.

Old September 26th, 2006   Marky is offline   #31
Marky*
Flippa Dippa Horseman!

Has anyone heard more about THIS!?!?!

From CHUD.com;

"Despite Christopher Nolanís claims to the contrary, we have learned from a trusted source that Justin Long, star of Accepted and the ubiquitous Apple Computer commercials, has been cast a Robin the Boy Wonder in The Dark Knight."

I can't imaging a fully suited up Robin in The Dark Knight but IF it is true then it maybe a cameo/small role for Dick Grayson/Tim Drake?

In my opinion Begins was awesome but got too big at the end of the movie for a "Year One" type tale, shoulda been just Batman and Gordan taking down the Mob and corrupt Commisioner :P

Love everything that's been said about the Joker but as long as he's not completely sinister. Obviously the tone of the character will be different depending on the audience (children's programming/adult feature film etc)
but part of the character's appeal is that he is FUNNY!

Old September 26th, 2006   Feltonbass is offline   #32
Feltonbass
Yep....

Has anyone heard more about THIS!?!?!

From CHUD.com;

"Despite Christopher Nolanís claims to the contrary, we have learned from a trusted source that Justin Long, star of Accepted and the ubiquitous Apple Computer commercials, has been cast a Robin the Boy Wonder in The Dark Knight."
ddf
Marky View Post

I'm calling BS on this one.

I love Robin, I thought "The Batman" ep this weekend was very well done, and makes me want to watch that show.

I also love the character of Dick Grayson, and hope that someday we'll see a Nightwing movie, or Nightwing in the movie Bat-verse.

No way am I ready for Robin in the Nolan flicks however. maybe the next movie after this one, following the Long Halloween/Dark Victory formula.

One man's pathetic quest to make it SDCC 2010

www.jedisnakeeyes.blogspot.com