The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old April 7th, 2011   JRM is offline   #145
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

True. WB can do anything. But, you have to answer to somebody: Board of Directors, President(s), shareholders, etc. If it fails, you're position is on the line, so -- bye bye!

I agree, the time to start JLA is now. But it takes planning, small steps, & short/long-term-strategy.
ddf
5andman View Post
I expect first and formost rightnow is likely opening week-end for GL. If it does as hoped or better, I'd expect a lot of things to get a quick green light and things to progress fairly quickly to a JLA feature. However, if it underpreforms - umm, I'd expect them to be cautions. So the question is how will GL fair with those who currently have little or no idea who he is besides a few bits on something like "Robot Chicken"? They like it, we get more - they don't Warner likely not push things.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old April 7th, 2011   Green Effigy is offline   #146
Green Effigy

I expect first and formost rightnow is likely opening week-end for GL. If it does as hoped or better, I'd expect a lot of things to get a quick green light and things to progress fairly quickly to a JLA feature. However, if it underpreforms - umm, I'd expect them to be cautions. So the question is how will GL fair with those who currently have little or no idea who he is besides a few bits on something like "Robot Chicken"? They like it, we get more - they don't Warner likely not push things.

Jim
ddf
JRM View Post
Jim you make a point, but why would WB start working on a GL sequel when the first one hasn't even come out yet? I get Batman because of Nolan, but Nolan is done after the next and final one.

Also, I found the JLA nemesis.....The Ultramarines and The General!!!

In Blackest Day, In Darkest Night.....
Old April 7th, 2011   JRM is offline   #147
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Jim you make a point, but why would WB start working on a GL sequel when the first one hasn't even come out yet? I get Batman because of Nolan, but Nolan is done after the next and final one.

Also, I found the JLA nemesis.....The Ultramarines and The General!!!
ddf
Green Effigy View Post
On the Nemesis - ummmm ... who. Yeah, Vaguely know who they are, roll my eyes at the poor handling of Eiling - a truly unique character as an antagonist in Capt Atom, redused to a well ... politely not what he was.

As for the my thoughts, that's all they are ... I have less than zero idea what goes on behind the closed doors at Warner, or even at the DC offices - I can just give my simple observations, about what I'd do if it was up to me, but it ain't ...

jim

Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old April 7th, 2011   Green Effigy is offline   #148
Green Effigy

True. WB can do anything. But, you have to answer to somebody: Board of Directors, President(s), shareholders, etc. If it fails, you're position is on the line, so -- bye bye!

I agree, the time to start JLA is now. But it takes planning, small steps, & short/long-term-strategy.
ddf
5andman View Post
Hell, Supes III was horrible and they still went ahead and did IV. So what if it fails? The director fails and finds another project. Batman Forever did good and the Batman and Robin came out and it bombed, director Schumaker is still around making movies.

Old April 7th, 2011   JRM is offline   #149
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Hell, Supes III was horrible and they still went ahead and did IV. So what if it fails? The director fails and finds another project. Batman Forever did good and the Batman and Robin came out and it bombed, director Schumaker is still around making movies.
ddf
Green Effigy View Post
Just remember a lot of your examples were long ago and a lot have changed since then; I think, that at best these are apples & oranges situations. None of can really guess, we can specualate - but likely we'll be batting 50/50 at best when we do that.

The past may replay itself or they might learn from their mistakes. The creative forces may be the driving forces or it might be the bean-counters but in either case we really can't know what will happen, just guess what might happen.

Jim

The LSH ... RIP
Old April 7th, 2011   5andman is offline   #150
5andman
Master Geoffan

Another concern is expectations by the WB for the GL movie.

If you look at Batman Begins ($372M worldwide) and Superman Returns ($390M worldwide), one was a success, the other was considered a bomb (underperformed).

We don't know what WB's box office expectations are?
Unfortunately, this will factor into any DC property feature.

Old April 7th, 2011   Green Effigy is offline   #151
Green Effigy

Another concern is expectations by the WB for the GL movie.

If you look at Batman Begins ($372M worldwide) and Superman Returns ($390M worldwide), one was a success, the other was considered a bomb (underperformed).

We don't know what WB's box office expectations are?
Unfortunately, this will factor into any DC property feature.
ddf
5andman View Post
Superman Returns performed well in the box office, it was the fanboy community that went up in arms cursing Brian Singer. There were so many issues with that movie: Superboy by Lois Lane, Superman being away for 5 years forgetting the events of III & IV, Lex Luthor (again), no real villain that could stand toe-2-toe against Superman, and Routh's fauilure attempt to emulate the late Christopher Reeves imploded the film.

What expectations can WB have, when they don't have faith on their own properties that they don't even develop but profit from? Everytime that there's a major event in comic books is always the other characters doing the work. A good example Barry Allen (Flash), he sacrifice himself during Crisis, he was referenced for almost 20 years, had a tv show and no films. The have to know this.

By the way if Checkmate ever make it to the screen Jason Patrick or Jon Hamm should play Maxwell Lord.

Old April 7th, 2011   Green Effigy is offline   #152
Green Effigy

Just remember a lot of your examples were long ago and a lot have changed since then; I think, that at best these are apples & oranges situations. None of can really guess, we can specualate - but likely we'll be batting 50/50 at best when we do that.

The past may replay itself or they might learn from their mistakes. The creative forces may be the driving forces or it might be the bean-counters but in either case we really can't know what will happen, just guess what might happen.

Jim
ddf
JRM View Post
That's the sad part, it may never happen.

Old April 8th, 2011   5andman is offline   #153
5andman
Master Geoffan

Superman Returns performed well in the box office, it was the fanboy community that went up in arms cursing Brian Singer. There were so many issues with that movie: Superboy by Lois Lane, Superman being away for 5 years forgetting the events of III & IV, Lex Luthor (again), no real villain that could stand toe-2-toe against Superman, and Routh's fauilure attempt to emulate the late Christopher Reeves imploded the film.
ddf
Green Effigy View Post
I think WB should've just let B. Singer continue with the sequel. Considering his track record, I think he would've done a great Superman sequel.

I don't think fanboy reaction had that much to do with it. A real major problem was that it had problems crossing $200M domestically.

Old April 8th, 2011   virtuadept is offline   #154
virtuadept
bye.

eh, who cares, by the time this comes out i'll be in depends.

- VirtuAdept - VACATION MODE. Apparently few here really like my posts. It was a fun few years. Catch you on the flip side.
Old April 8th, 2011   Green Effigy is offline   #155
Green Effigy

Okay I got my GL ring ready for the movie, now I want my AQ trident, Firestorm fire wig and GA bows and arrows.

Old April 18th, 2011   Green Effigy is offline   #156
Green Effigy

Default I wonder :)

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...-green-lantern

Does this mean that DC has been working in other scripts? Is it true?

Old November 1st, 2011   Green Lantern NZ is offline   #157
Green Lantern NZ

First of all one point that stands out for me back in the 1980's they still went ahead and made Superman even after the not so good Superman 111 movie.

So why not make Green Lantern 2 add in more references to The Flash make a Flash movie which in turn leads into The JLA movie.