The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old 1 Week Ago   Astro@work is offline   #289
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

Supergirl #8,9. : Loved #8; getting Kara back on solid ground with Kal is a huge step forward...they were never anything but antagonistic with each other for all of the nu52. Also really enjoyed Jon grilling Kara about Krypton. Number 9 was interesting for the introduction of Magog...but concerned this should have gotten more fanfare...type of intro that gets ignored when he shows up somewhere like the JLA. Also enjoying Batgirl's presence in the arc. A Babs/Kara camaraderie is long overdue.

Nightwing #18,19 : Liking this arc. An in-continuity Deathwing is fun, although faux doll Robin is getting brutalized pretty badly!

Batwoman #2 : Not feeling this title too much yet, had higher hopes. Taking Kate immediately out of Gotham on her first arc may have been a mistake, same as it was for the Batgirl relaunch. She needs a solid CONSISTENT supporting cast, which is when her first run worked the best. As soon as Bette, Col. Kane et al got ignored her previous run faltered.

Detective #954,955,956 : This is probably my least favorite arc in this run. Not horrible but I feel like Rhas and his leagues have been done to death lately in the DCU and DC television. The bigger problem for me is that the characters with heart in the series (Tim, Stephanie, Bluebird) have been systematically removed in favor of personality-lite characters. If Batwing is supposed to fill this role, then we need to see him out of the suit.

Titans #11 : Good first installment in the Lazarus Contract. Reestablishing Slade's connection to the early Titans was a smart move. The Titans early history is largely unknown, but putting some of the core elements back in (even if it wasn't the New TT) is a good idea. This includes the Hive as well.

JLA #5 : Very Lobo-centric issue. Fun, if not super-consequential yet.

Flash #21/Batman #22 : Button parts 2&3. So far this story seems to be more of an ode to Flashpoint than forward progress on the meta-DCU story, but I'm enjoying it. Seeing the Waynes meet has been a great touch.

Wonder Woman #21/22 Lots of forward momentum getting to Themiscyra in the Truth. Cale has become a more sympathetic character here and in the Godwatch installments. I like a villain with shades of
grey, and Rucka continues to knock this outta the park.

Teen Titans #7 : Liking Aqualad's introduction and this iteration of the character. Also enjoyed the short Black Manta cameo. Liking this book overall, although am still frustrated with Percy's clear inability to connect with Starfire and Raven. (He doesn't have this issue with Dinah or Emiko in Green Arrow, so I know he's capable of writing strong women). Thank God for these shorter arcs...normally it would have taken a year to get to this point.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old 5 Days Ago   Astro@work is offline   #290
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

Hey Starks! Missing your reviews around here!...hoping you're coming back soon. :0)

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old 2 Days Ago   DSumner is offline   #291
DSumner
Neo Geoffan

Teen Titans #7 : Liking Aqualad's introduction and this iteration of the character. Also enjoyed the short Black Manta cameo. Liking this book overall, although am still frustrated with Percy's clear inability to connect with Starfire and Raven. (He doesn't have this issue with Dinah or Emiko in Green Arrow, so I know he's capable of writing strong women). Thank God for these shorter arcs...normally it would have taken a year to get to this point.
ddf
[email protected] View Post
Yeah, the females in this book (Raven and Starfire) seem to be getting shorted. Also, I see they've made Raven a bit more like her TV Titans version with the addition of magic.

I also see they've modified Jinx, over in Titans, so that she's now probability controller, instead of a sorceress.

Old 3 Hours Ago   Amentep is offline   #292
Amentep

I agree Detective hasn't lived up to its promise. I can only hope that the wider characters will get more screen time.

Liked the opening for Lazarus Contract.