The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old June 25th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #1
Amentep

Default Batman 66

I enjoyed the 11th issue and how it pulled together the subplot about the penitentiary and Holly Quinn. Now looks like they're setting up a subplot with Hugo Strange.

Overall this series has been pretty good, IMO.

Old June 25th, 2014   Matches is offline   #2
Matches
stepping aside

It's almost always a terrific read. Every now and then they'll drop a dud but that's rare. Parker gets just the right mix of satire while still playing it relatively straight. IOW he's channeling season 1 of the show rather than S3.

I think my favorite thing about the series is how they keep switching from the Julie Newmar Catwoman to the Eartha Kitt Catwoman with no explanation, just like the show.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old June 25th, 2014   mego joe is offline   #3
mego joe
Geoffan

It's almost always a terrific read. Every now and then they'll drop a dud but that's rare. Parker gets just the right mix of satire while still playing it relatively straight. IOW he's channeling season 1 of the show rather than S3.

I think my favorite thing about the series is how they keep switching from the Julie Newmar Catwoman to the Eartha Kitt Catwoman with no explanation, just like the show.
ddf
Matches View Post
Why no Lee Meriweather? She's my favorite!

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old June 27th, 2014   Call Me El is offline   #4
Call Me El
Geoffan

Some of them actually look more like Lee Meriwether to me.

I still prefer Julie Newmar's performance but Meriwether is a little more statuesque somehow.

"I know nothing stays the same
But if you're willing to play the game
It's coming around again" - Carly Simon
Old June 27th, 2014   mego joe is offline   #5
mego joe
Geoffan

Some of them actually look more like Lee Meriwether to me.

I still prefer Julie Newmar's performance but Meriwether is a little more statuesque somehow.
ddf
Call Me El View Post
I'll have to pay better attention next time there's a Catwoman story.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old July 29th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #6
Amentep

Liked 12 and 13 as well. Great fun.

Old September 8th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #7
Amentep

It was weird reading Batman 14 because I'd just seen the BATMAN: BRAVE AND THE BOLD episode featuring a bat-robot.

Is there a history of Bat-bots in the Batman universe (other than the ones in KINGDOM COME I can't think of any, but Bat-Knowledge isn't one of my strong points).

Old September 9th, 2014   Matches is offline   #8
Matches
stepping aside

It was weird reading Batman 14 because I'd just seen the BATMAN: BRAVE AND THE BOLD episode featuring a bat-robot.

Is there a history of Bat-bots in the Batman universe (other than the ones in KINGDOM COME I can't think of any, but Bat-Knowledge isn't one of my strong points).
ddf
Amentep View Post
It's such a Silver Age idea - meaning it's right at home in '66. Batman had a bunch of Bat-robots built during Batman Incorporated too.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old June 8th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #9
Amentep

The latest Batman '66 - I liked how they introduced Solomon Grundy - felt like that was in keeping with the series.

Didn't like the False Fase story - giving him an identity and turning him into Clayface and the resolution to the story seemed very...not Batman '66 to me.

Old June 15th, 2015   Call Me El is offline   #10
Call Me El
Geoffan

The latest Batman '66 - I liked how they introduced Solomon Grundy - felt like that was in keeping with the series.

Didn't like the False Fase story - giving him an identity and turning him into Clayface and the resolution to the story seemed very...not Batman '66 to me.
ddf
Amentep View Post
Haven't read this one yet but I agree with the sentiment.

I don't mind the introduction of new villains but I am concerned about what I see as the creeping 'DCUnification' of the title. For example, Arkham Asylum. In the show, with the possible exception of King Tut, the villains were seen simply as criminals to be sent "down the river". The concept of them as mentally ill seems a bit dark.

Old June 15th, 2015   Mr. Wrong is offline   #11
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

The title was neat at first, and I like Sandy Jarrell and Jeff Parker and Ty Templeton, etc., but something about it just wasn't what I had hoped. I read John Byrne's thoughts on the comic, and he nailed the same thing I was thinking: If you're going to do a comic of the show, then do it LIKE THE SHOW. I don't want to see what Batman would have been like with a higher budget or modern special effects available. The limitations the show had were a big part of its charm.
Also, the smart social satire of the show's first season doesn't seem to be a consideration in the comic. It was a very much a parody of establishment authority in the first season. The comic seems more like a parody of the show to me.
I really wanted to like the comic a lot, but it just wasn't enough like the show.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old June 23rd, 2015   Call Me El is offline   #12
Call Me El
Geoffan

Okay, I've read the issue now.

I guess there was some logic in turning False Face into Clayface rather than introducing a new similar character but it is still another step along the way to making Batman '66 just like the mainstream DCU.

And speaking of similar characters, we did see the Riddler substitute Puzzler on screen. I hope they're not going to say they are one and the same as well.

Old June 30th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #13
Amentep

Latest issue is a bit of return to normal. But the mind control plot seemed kinda...familiar.

Old July 1st, 2015   mego joe is offline   #14
mego joe
Geoffan

Latest issue is a bit of return to normal. But the mind control plot seemed kinda...familiar.
ddf
Amentep View Post
But totally keeping within the TV show.

http://dccomicsnews.com/2015/06/26/review-batman-66-24/

Old July 1st, 2015   Amentep is offline   #15
Amentep

Yeah it was in keeping with the show; not every issue of 66 has managed that.

Old July 13th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #16
Amentep

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...gers-crossover

Batman '66 to cross over with ITV's 60s series The Avengers (called "Steed and Peel" in the US for some reason or another... ) in a DC collaboration with IDW.