The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Greg Rucka > Back Issues: Greg Rucka

Back Issues: Greg Rucka Talk about some of Greg's older work here

Old October 12th, 2010   arrghyle is offline   #1
arrghyle

Default Batwoman's origin and the DADT injunction

A federal judge today issued an injunction stopping the military from enforcing it's don't ask don't tell policy (DADT). If this makes it to the Supreme Court, it could overthrow the policy, allowing gay and lesbian service members to serve without hiding their orientation.

Because Batwoman's origin hinges on DADT, will this ruling make her origin story dated? Should this aspect of her story be ignored ongoing? Should her story be rewritten to have her leave the military for another reason?

For the purposes of this message board, I'm not interested in anyone's opinion (pro or con) on the policy. Just how it's repeal could affect this character's origin.

Old October 12th, 2010   chairhead is offline   #2
chairhead
Bee-Otch

A federal judge today issued an injunction stopping the military from enforcing it's don't ask don't tell policy (DADT). If this makes it to the Supreme Court, it could overthrow the policy, allowing gay and lesbian service members to serve without hiding their orientation.

Because Batwoman's origin hinges on DADT, will this ruling make her origin story dated? Should this aspect of her story be ignored ongoing? Should her story be rewritten to have her leave the military for another reason?

For the purposes of this message board, I'm not interested in anyone's opinion (pro or con) on the policy. Just how it's repeal could affect this character's origin.
ddf
arrghyle View Post
I think it helps show where the character had to come from. I don't think it should be changed or altered at all. It's good to show the struggles people had to go through and where we've come to now. Since a lot of folks will still have to struggle with their sexual preference I think it still a great example of a character that was discriminated against and came through by doing things their own way. She didn't fold and hide who she was and I think thats still what peopel need.

The Shadow knows!
Old October 17th, 2010   Danny Perkins is offline   #3
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

I say no because changing dadt now wouldn't change what has happened to gays in the military in the past including batwoman.

I thought about this too when I heard about this potential ruling.

If you weren't expecting this to be good, then you need to go and read a bunch of Greg Rucka comics. - MattDiCarlo
Old October 21st, 2010   manwithnoname is offline   #4
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

I think it helps show where the character had to come from. I don't think it should be changed or altered at all. It's good to show the struggles people had to go through and where we've come to now. Since a lot of folks will still have to struggle with their sexual preference I think it still a great example of a character that was discriminated against and came through by doing things their own way. She didn't fold and hide who she was and I think thats still what peopel need.
ddf
chairhead View Post
I say no because changing dadt now wouldn't change what has happened to gays in the military in the past including batwoman.
ddf
Danny Perkins View Post
I agree. Her origin should stay intact.

Old October 22nd, 2010   sylpemberton is offline   #5
sylpemberton
A Ginger Horseman

Location: Wish I could say New York but no I'm stuck twelve hours North East by car...

it may become an issue in 30 years when they are still using the character and the DADT thing was over with 30 years previous dating the character.

but for now? it's in her past. it shouldn't hurt to refer to it if need be. for now i don't think it's an issue, and doesn't need to be mentioned going forward if they don't want to bring it up again...

Old October 22nd, 2010   Danny Perkins is offline   #6
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

it may become an issue in 30 years when they are still using the character and the DADT thing was over with 30 years previous dating the character.

but for now? it's in her past. it shouldn't hurt to refer to it if need be. for now i don't think it's an issue, and doesn't need to be mentioned going forward if they don't want to bring it up again...
ddf
sylpemberton View Post
Very good point.

If you weren't expecting this to be good, then you need to go and read a bunch of Greg Rucka comics. - MattDiCarlo