The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old September 13th, 2006   jafabian is offline   #17
jafabian
I知 not dead.

He can spin his arms fast enough to make him propel himself into the air.
I also remember reading he can vibrate so fast he could "step" on air molecules. But I cant remember where I saw this. Plus, i could be ********ting.
ddf
Thunderflash11 View Post
He can do that. There was a back up Elongated Man story, I think in Action Comics, where Sue Dibny (RIP) set up a birthday gift for Ralph by having Barry disguise himself as an old man with super powers. One of them was to walk on air but Ralph figured out it was Barry because his feet were vibrating. This set up Ralph's annual birthday gift from Sue of having to solve a mystery and a lot of times the League would get involved.

Barry could also run across clouds if there was enough moisture in them. Jay, Wally, Bart, Max and Johnny never showed this ability though.

Old September 13th, 2006   Atom is offline   #18
Atom
Gone. Gone. Gone.

And therein lies the other confusion about this whole thing. Barry showed significant air control powers that Wally never did. Barry was able to float and appear to fly several times in his series and in Justice League. Wally only did it a few times, and it could be inferred that he simply did not have the same level of control over air molecules that Barry did (just one of the many differences between the two speedsters). It's yet to be seen what Bart is capable of doing as the Flash.

Webmaster of the Former Unofficial Homepage of the Atom - all good things must come to an end...
Old September 13th, 2006   jasonleo is offline   #19
jasonleo
Genius Honky Horseman

The Flash has been known to fly, depending on how you define "flying".

Flying - DEFINITION (there's lots - but here are three that sort of apply)
1. To move through the air using wings. - Nope
2. To be carried through the air by the wind or any other force or agency. - Yep
3. To float or flutter in the air. Sort of

So, does the Flash "fly"? Yes. Does he fly in the same manner that Superman or Green Lantern do? No. He can hover through air movements. He can propel himself through momentum or air currents or air movement. He can "push" himself into the air through a whirlwind. He can cushion his landing by manipulating air. So, his flying abilities are limited to what he can accomplish through pushing air around, and not an inherent flying ability. His ability to fly is very similar to the Atom's ability to fly - in that they both can create conditions, using their powers, where they can fly.

At least that's my take on things.
ddf
Atom View Post
Correct. Even when he was Kid Flash, Wally would sometimes move himself through the air by using his arms as a whirlwind propulsion.

Old September 13th, 2006   jafabian is offline   #20
jafabian
I知 not dead.

And therein lies the other confusion about this whole thing. Barry showed significant air control powers that Wally never did. Barry was able to float and appear to fly several times in his series and in Justice League. Wally only did it a few times, and it could be inferred that he simply did not have the same level of control over air molecules that Barry did (just one of the many differences between the two speedsters). It's yet to be seen what Bart is capable of doing as the Flash.
ddf
Atom View Post

Barry has been acknowledged as the most powerful of the DCU's Flashes. It's true that he could do more with his speed than anyone else, though he was never shown to have shared or taken speed from anyone. So that's the advantage that Jay and Wally have. But both have always said that Barry was much more proficient than they were with the Speed Force.

Old September 13th, 2006   silverageflash is offline   #21
silverageflash
Geoffan

I remember when Barry was against the Atomic Skull who was in a floating prison. The flash was able to have simmilar atributes of flying by making himself lighter on air and jumping from cloud to cloud, if I remember correct. Plus in superfriends he was shown flying, hell in the opening they showed Aquaman flying.

Old September 13th, 2006   Stephen Henel is offline   #22
Stephen Henel
Lord Magistrate of Mayhem

Barry has been acknowledged as the most powerful of the DCU's Flashes. It's true that he could do more with his speed than anyone else, though he was never shown to have shared or taken speed from anyone. So that's the advantage that Jay and Wally have. But both have always said that Barry was much more proficient than they were with the Speed Force.
ddf
jafabian View Post
He couldn't have been; Pre-Crisis the Speed Force didn't exist, and Post-Crisis it was Wally who was the first one to "mainline" its power. Barry's proficiency came through his mastery of science, not through a stronger connection to the Speed Force.

As promised, tapping out.
Old September 13th, 2006   jafabian is offline   #23
jafabian
I知 not dead.

See, I always saw it as Barry was accessing the Speed Force, but wasn't aware of it. He just took things at face value. None of his adventures were retconned post-Crisis, so even though it wasn't documented that he was accessing the Speed Force, I would think that he was IMO.

Old September 13th, 2006   Jeremy Irons is offline   #24
Jeremy Irons

It was either the Flash novel or the JLA novel that recently came out where in the first chapter he was using his speed to sort of push himself through the air when they were attempting to take out some meteors, which is essentially flying, but not in the sense that most supers can. Like, for Superman it doesn't require effort but Flash could conceivably fly if he wanted to at the expense of a lot of energy.

"An average of 76 people a year die playing twister."
Old September 14th, 2006   Atom is offline   #25
Atom
Gone. Gone. Gone.

He couldn't have been; Pre-Crisis the Speed Force didn't exist, and Post-Crisis it was Wally who was the first one to "mainline" its power. Barry's proficiency came through his mastery of science, not through a stronger connection to the Speed Force.
ddf
Stephen Henel View Post
Barry is often referred to as the "most powerful Flash" by virtue of his control over what he did and how he did it.

Wally is often referred to as the "most powerful Flash" by virtue of his speed and his tapping into the Speed Force.

I think they both have good qualities...

Webmaster of the Former Unofficial Homepage of the Atom - all good things must come to an end...
Old September 14th, 2006   new x-man is offline   #26
new x-man
Full of Ionic power....

Yes he can fly,by applying kinetic energy beneath the soles of his feet. He just can't control the direction unless he can evenly apply kinetic energy over his body which would require miniscule application

Old September 14th, 2006   StarFlash is offline   #27
StarFlash
Geoffan

ddf
jafabian View Post
When was Barry acknoledged as the most powerful DC Flash? Wally (and now Bart) are faster...and have control over the Speed Force that Barry never had. Wally is/was able to lend and steal speed...Barry could never do and of that.
Also, I know is is pro Wally / anti-Barry...which is not the case...I loved Barry's Flash...but Wally was definitely more powerful.

Total SpeedFreak!
Old September 14th, 2006   jafabian is offline   #28
jafabian
I知 not dead.

Yes he can fly,by applying kinetic energy beneath the soles of his feet. He just can't control the direction unless he can evenly apply kinetic energy over his body which would require miniscule application
ddf
new x-man View Post
Isn't that like saying Shadowcat can fly?

Old September 14th, 2006   jafabian is offline   #29
jafabian
I知 not dead.

When was Barry acknoledged as the most powerful DC Flash? Wally (and now Bart) are faster...and have control over the Speed Force that Barry never had. Wally is/was able to lend and steal speed...Barry could never do and of that.
Also, I know is is pro Wally / anti-Barry...which is not the case...I loved Barry's Flash...but Wally was definitely more powerful.
ddf
StarFlash View Post
Wally's stated it, and that's how it's listed at www.wikipedia.org. Barry could do more, including controlling his own molecular structure and using the Cosmic Treadmill to move through time. Wally's always said that Barry was much better with the Treadmill than he was.

Old September 14th, 2006   new x-man is offline   #30
new x-man
Full of Ionic power....

Isn't that like saying Shadowcat can fly?
ddf
jafabian View Post
nope,she becomes intangible....nothing to do with kinetic energy.

Old September 14th, 2006   Stephen Henel is offline   #31
Stephen Henel
Lord Magistrate of Mayhem

Wally's stated it, and that's how it's listed at www.wikipedia.org. Barry could do more, including controlling his own molecular structure and using the Cosmic Treadmill to move through time. Wally's always said that Barry was much better with the Treadmill than he was.
ddf
jafabian View Post
Wikipedia can be edited by absolutely anyone, as evidenced by Stephen Colbert staging a campaign to make it look like Africa's elephant population is on the rise. Besides, Wally doesn't need the Treadmill. He can time travel on his own power, and, as mentioned in Chain Lightning, he can do it with more accuracy than any of the other Flashes, including Barry Allen.

And I don't remember Wally ever saying that Barry was faster, except pre-Return of Barry Allen. He did mention that he had greater control of his powers, but that's not the same thing. After Terminal Velocity, in fact, he stated that he used to be the Fastest Man alive, but now he's the Fastest Man Ever.

I think that the question of who's faster is one that will always depend on who you ask, and what time period you are talking about.

As promised, tapping out.
Old September 14th, 2006   jafabian is offline   #32
jafabian
I知 not dead.

nope,she becomes intangible....nothing to do with kinetic energy.
ddf
new x-man View Post
Well, my point is you are describing floating/walking on air which both Wally and Barry have done, as has Kitty. Flying is described as moving horizontally thru the air in a controlled manner, which none of these characters can do.

The only way the Flashes can is by creating a vortex that they ride on. Kitty, by her own admission, walks on air molecules. You have an interesting theory, but it's never been put into application by the Flashes the way you're describing, by my recollection.