The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > The Comic Shop: Creators > Ethan Van Sciver

Old March 12th, 2006   John Hays is offline   #33
John Hays
Lovin life!

Ha ha! Thanks, Steve! Ever since the 90's and the excesses thereof, I think some people instinctively have a negative reaction to seeing idealized women in comics. I do too, I must admit. In those comics, EVERY woman, even the background extras, were incredibly endowed goddesses. Amongst all of that, why exactly should I as a reader be impressed by Wonder Woman?

My own private rebellion is to make most normal people, (you know,civilians) hideous carny freaks so that someone like Power Girl stands out. Heh. S'fun, and it keeps you on your toes.
ddf
Ethan Van Sciver
Okay, so if Geoff ever decides to use my name for a character, PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME A CIVILIAN.

"What we've got here is ... failure to communicate." - Cool Hand Luke

3 time consecutive Comicbloc College Basketball Tournament Champion!
Old March 22nd, 2006   GldenageFlsh is offline   #34
GldenageFlsh

Just remember, Wally Wood - her creator - was the man who first gave her the inflato-bags. He'd draw them a little bigger each appearance waiting for editorial to finally catch him and say, "Knock it off, man!" They never did...

I think it is fine for PG to be the curvy one, just as long as we don't get into grotesque parody like some cheap stripper using beach balls for implants.
ddf
Argent
Hey I'm 42 I remember those issues and you're right they were pretty big. I guess thats why I was always a fan. Seriously though Woods did draw them big and I guess thats why I don't see what the fuss is.

Barry Allen made me the Flash...
Old March 26th, 2006   Esco is offline   #35
Esco
Advanced Geoffan

OK,
1st, Magicspoon? I don't know but your Thor? Please Bro, OK?
Speaking as a outspoken Powergirl fan, ask Don, I will say, Ethan, your Powergirls, *ahem*, PowergirL looks great.
Wally Wood liked his ladies built like LADIES, like Frazetta, and that's the way Powergirl should look. She should remind us that Wally freakin' Wood came up with her and we should thank him every time she appears. I know I do.
And as far as size, I am a breastman, natural only please, and as far as I'm concerned they should knock stuff over when she flies. That's just me.
BTW, Ethan, your blog is awesome.

de omnibus dubitandum
Old August 2nd, 2012   GWHH is offline   #36
GWHH

I read someone (just recently) where that each new artist tries to makes POWER GIRL Bbreast BIGGER as joke to see how big they can go before someone tell them to stop.

And its been going on for a while also. Wally Wood and Bob Layton who started in issue #…38 of Power Girl... Wood was also an artist on the book. Power Girl first appeared in issue #58. Her "booby hatch closed in #68 because it became easier to draw her and Wood thought it was also sexier. As long as Wood drew and inked the book he started making PG top heavy a little at a time. He was caught and he said he just wanted to see how long it took people to notice.

I have notice over the last few years and it is just me or does it seems that Donna Troy chest seems noticeably LARGER (in the terms of total breast volume NOT WEIGHT OR MASS) than Wonderwoman. She is 3 inches shorter and 25 pounds lighter than WW. Is it the costumes that they both wear or is her chest that much larger than WW

I think they give Donna Troy a larger chest on puropse so you can tell them apart right away.. WW body is the idea shape for a women. Donna Troy Is A Little more busty and bigger hips than than WW, more like an average women frame.

The reason for this is Power Girl has been made bigger over the years and was "it" on purpose. Just wondering if they were doing the same thing for Donna Troy.

What do you all think about this?

Old August 10th, 2012   DaVeO is offline   #37
DaVeO
Talk to the Hand of Doom

This has to be one of the strangest first posts I've ever read. Kind of gives everyone a weird first impression of you, dude.

Where ever you go, there you are.
Old September 12th, 2012   mego joe is offline   #38
mego joe
Geoffan

This thread has somehow been resurrected. And what a thread it is...

FTR, I have been a PG fan since All-Star #65 bought new. I had no idea when I bought it what I was buying, but boy am I glad I did...

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me