The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Ron Marz > Back Issues: Ron Marz

Back Issues: Ron Marz Talk about some of Ron's older work here

Old March 21st, 2009   leonmallett is offline   #1
leonmallett
comics fan

Default Blade of Kumori (Devil's Due/Aftermath)

I read the five issues of this yesterday Ron, and I was pleased that the few preconceptions that I had were unfounded.

I don't know why but I expected either a retread of the 'bad girl' trend, or a dour story of honour. It was neither and overall I enjoyed the five issues.

Inevitably given the premise honour was a theme of the book, but I was genuinely surprised by how the character acted and the decisions you took, especially over Kumori not killing Cam White before killing her next target. No black and white morality here, but difficult choices not necessarily backed by notions of justness or rightness.

I liked the cast you were building up with the East-meets-West paradigm. I have a couple of minor quibbles (the relationship between Kumori and Hiro and their seemingly 'public displays of affection' seemed at odds with the traditionalism around the setting in which she lived with her father; no explantion was offered as to how she overcame the traditional role of a samurai woman), but nothing that really spoiled my enjoyment of the book.

It is a shame the series went without conclusion to the first arc as I wanted to see how things played out (I suspect that Kumori's father would have died leaving two traids of charcters and so some symmetry in the East-meets-West set-up), and I wantedd to know the source of both Kumori's uniqueness and how Synth was created by her employers, but I did enjoy reading what was there and would recommend the books to anyone wanting something slightly different and less mainstream from their superheroes.

I wish I and others had been aware of the books at the time, maybe that arc would havebeen finished. Thanks anyway Ron.

Leon.

The new 52 - probably not for me...
Old March 22nd, 2009   Ron Marz is offline   #2
Ron Marz
Premier

I appreciate you reading the issues, Leon. I have to be honest, the idea of creating a "new superhero universe" is a distinct longshot for ANY publisher, always almost certainly doomed to failure. If people want a superhero universe, they're already reading Marvel and DC, and don't generally make an effort to look beyond them.

But, Devil's Due wanted to give it a go, and offered me my pick of the concepts. I picked Kumori because it was the least superhero-oriented, and I enjoyed the experience (especially working with the art team, who are great guys, and very talented). Issue #6 was half written before Devil's Due decided to end the line. Wish we'd been able to get #6 complete, so there could be a TPB collection ... but oh well.

Old July 7th, 2010   manwithnoname is offline   #3
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

This may have played a part: Devil's Due Leaves Diamond

Old July 7th, 2010   BrianT is offline   #4
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

Best of luck to DDP. Hopefully, they're in the right in this and pull through.

Philadelphia Comic Book Examiner
Twitter: PAComicExaminer

Subscribe to my page
Old April 21st, 2011   BrianT is offline   #5
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

Looks like there will be a TPB collection:

http://www.amazon.com/Blade-Kumori-G...dp/1926914449/

Ron, any idea if #6 was ever completed and will be a part of this?

Old April 22nd, 2011   Ron Marz is offline   #6
Ron Marz
Premier

Looks like there will be a TPB collection:

http://www.amazon.com/Blade-Kumori-G...dp/1926914449/

Ron, any idea if #6 was ever completed and will be a part of this?
ddf
BrianT View Post

I never completed issue #6. I write the first half, but the plug was pulled prior to the end. To my knowledge, #6 was never drawn.

All this is news to me.

Old April 22nd, 2011   BrianT is offline   #7
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

Thanks, Ron. Maybe you'll be getting a call soon? The TPB listing is pretty new. And it says 144 pages, which would mean 6 issues or so.

Old May 25th, 2011   BrianT is offline   #8
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

Ron, I did a brief interview with Sean O'Reilly, Arcana Founder/CEO. In case you're interested:

http://www.examiner.com/comic-book-i...aftermath-line

Subscribe to my page
Old May 25th, 2011   Ron Marz is offline   #9
Ron Marz
Premier

Thanks, Brian.

Not sure what to make of the comments about "creators books." Our initial Devil's Due contracts gave participation to the writers, and 10% royalty on TPBs, but I assume Archaia is ignoring all that.

I got a brief messahe from Archaia asking if I had the script to Blade of Kumori #6. I said no. I never heard from them again. I have to admit, I'll be thoroughly annoyed if someone else comes in and writes the final Kumori issue, without me even being offered the opportunity. This Arcana effort seems half-assed.

Old May 25th, 2011   BrianT is offline   #10
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

I was curious about the "creators books" response as well, but didn't think it was appropriate to pursue further.

And, not to annoy you, but the Amazon.com listing now has Mark Poulton as one of the authors on KUMORI. He is Arcana's VP of Operations and a writer.

Subscribe to my page
Old May 25th, 2011   Ron Marz is offline   #11
Ron Marz
Premier

Well, maybe his business card says VP of Operations. Guess we'll find out if he's a writer.

Old May 26th, 2011   BrianT is offline   #12
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

For what it's worth, he has written a few other projects. I have their email addresses if you have any interest in contacting them.

Subscribe to my page