The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > The Comic Shop: Creators > Ethan Van Sciver

Old July 18th, 2009   Holiday is offline   #17
Holiday
White Pawn

Wow, sad to hear the news. I loved my head-sketches in my hardcovers that you did. There is probably more backstory to this but it is definitely sad news.

"Has the world become too fast for you?

Nope, the world is finally catching up." -Barry Allen
Old August 13th, 2009   comicattic is offline   #18
comicattic

Default Commission discussion

If I had an ability to illustrate and create unique pieces of artwork while enjoying it for years I am certain I would have noticed many things along the way. 'The hobby' can be overwhelming, absurd and at times incongruent with other aspects of life. Perhaps some of the requests {or with some 'enthusiasts' covert demands} artists oftentimes endure would seem outlandish in other 'businesses'. Ethan is one of the few artists that every time I see him he graciously adds a detailed sketch to the inside of a hardcover gratis. A zombie artist asked $50 for one and gave me a doodle that was comparable to a third grader's. At Megacon he drew three straight Flash portraits for these guys who were just tagging along with their pal.

If you are waiting for a commission then know it will be worth it.

EVS walked into a comic shop in Orlando a few months back when Rebirth came out and showed two commissioned pieces that he had done that were beyond description (one GL surrounded by all the different lanterns and another Superman Batman piece).

Some people need to rethink their definition of 'artist' and not have such a Metropolisentric idea of what they seek. Answering email is kind of 1996. The turnaround in every exchange corresponds directly with tone and articulation. In my experience, the more times you write someone the more times you seem like Daffy Duck in the cave with Hassan.

Respect the artist, their craft and the virtue.

Old August 14th, 2009   Tar-Ik is offline   #19
Tar-Ik
Advanced Geoffan

Respect the artist, their craft and the virtue.
ddf
comicattic View Post
Amen brother

why so serious?

twitter: tarik78
psn: tar-ik78
Old August 15th, 2009   c-man is offline   #20
c-man
Neo Geoffan

A zombie artist asked $50 for one and gave me a doodle that was comparable to a third grader's. At Megacon he drew three straight Flash portraits for these guys who were just tagging along with their pal.
ddf
comicattic View Post

A certain someone with the initials AS? (And no, I don't mean Saviuk).
Last edited by Keith Dallas; August 15th, 2009 at 12:38 PM. Reason: fixed quotation tags

Old August 15th, 2009   comicattic is offline   #21
comicattic

Default third grade doodle

I would run the risk of contradicting myself were I to identify said artist any further but the toughest part of it was the guy before me got an amazing sketch on one of the Invasion blank covers perhaps becuase he purchased some 'prints'. I thought dropping $50 for a remarqued hardcover would fit my budget and give me a book for the ages. Well, not so much. I hope to flip it at some point and get something from someone like Ethan or Zeck or Hembeck or Darwyn or any of the other guys at shows who are awesome to fans.

Old August 15th, 2009   PyroTwilight is offline   #22
PyroTwilight
Supreme Geoffan

A certain someone with the initials AS? (And no, I don't mean Saviuk).
ddf
c-man View Post
Hmm. Now I'm wary of getting a piece by AS.

Old August 16th, 2009   Matt Petersen is offline   #23
Matt Petersen
Neo Geoffan

I got a nice Green Lantern head sketch from Ethan at a convention a few years back and I am completely and utterly happy with just having that!! He does an excellent job on just con sketches (unlike what some other people give you at cons which look like some of my elementary students drew at the last minute).

"Zoology eh? That's a big word, isn't it." "No, actually it isn't," said Tiffany. "Patronizing is a big word. Zoology is really quite short."”
Old March 27th, 2010   comicattic is offline   #24
comicattic

Default Commission thread

EVS was noteworthy in our transaction. When hitting tough times he encouraged me to keep my chin up. Looking forward to his next project.