The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old March 13th, 2017   starks is offline   #241
starks
Geoffan

Superwoman #8 : Still not quite sure what to make of this book. Lana's goodbye to nuLois was sweet, but the book really needs to move forward now.
ddf
[email protected] View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one. This is a confusing title.

Old March 13th, 2017   starks is offline   #242
starks
Geoffan

Superman #18, Action Comics #975 : Reborn parts 1&2. 2 great installments. The Mxy reveal had the potential to be cheesey, but came across well done. Hoping we'll get more Mr Oz reveals in this arc. Also thought the Jon/ Mxy story was great and a cute throwback to the Mr Mxzytplk stories of the silver age.
ddf
I thought Dini's work really stood out.

I hope his Harley backup story will be collected too.

Old March 13th, 2017   starks is offline   #243
starks
Geoffan

The Wildstorm #1 : Never read much of the early Stormwatch stories, so hard to say whether this was true to any of it, but enjoyed the paranoid conspiracy vibe of the book. Will keep trying it for now.
ddf
Going to get this once it's collected.

Old March 13th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #244
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

I hope to see Hawkgirl somewhere soon, as I loved when she was introduced. Don't know where Helena would fit in, so you might be right regarding her, of not seeing these characters.
ddf
starks View Post
With the upcoming return of the main JSA as heroes from WWII, I'm expecting DC will want to put their focus there rather than on the Earth 2 versions. I'm okay with this, although the 2 characters I'll really miss are PG and Helena. That said, PG really got bland over the last couple years and I'm not thrilled with turning Helena into Batman....preferred for her to have her own identity. (John Grayson as the new Robin was a nice touch).

IMO the whole book just never recoverd from the destruction of E2 back during the weekly. Characterization fell by the wayside at that point as well. I suspect these versions of the characters will be left on the shelf now except for occasional appearances. But as you mentioned, at least they've been left in a good place, for when we return to them someday.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old March 13th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #245

I'm glad I'm not the only one. This is a confusing title.
ddf
starks View Post
Regarding Superwoman, I think the whole run has been far too "apologetic" over the initial surprize about Lana being the titleholder instead of nuLois. This forced in the contrivances of dead Lois ghostly appearances, etc.

If this was nuLois sendoff then GREAT, move on, and let's see some great Lana stories. There's also all the coy hinting around about whether nuClark and nu Lois will return, which is also undermining Lana in the role.

This title is pretty iffy for me at the moment. (And I'm pretty patient with giving books a chance to get their footing).

Old March 14th, 2017   Amentep is offline   #246
Amentep

I can't see the visionary nuLois as something that got inserted because of fan reaction to the first issue. IIRC she showed up too quickly to my mind to have not been planned from the beginning.

Old March 20th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #247

Superman #19 : The Reborn arc has really delivered. Have to say that I have NOT been rooting for the return of the charmless nuClark and nu Lois, but hopeful it will allow the real Ckark and Lois to regain their spots as the definitive pair of prime Earth.

Super Sons #2 : Still really loving this series. Pitting the 2 boys vs Lex was a nice choice. Looking forward to the fireworks when Lex realizes Supes has a son.

Aquaman #18,19 : Liked the Dead Water installment better as it moved a little quicker. Overall this arc has been ok, but not my favorite.

Green Arrow #18,19 : Really really enjoying "the return of Roy Harper". Don't recall their early years being told with a modern sensibility. Let's face it, millionairres don't really take on youthful wards. So seeing Oliver take in the homeless Roy, and Roy behaving like a troubled youth made for some great backstory. And I geeked out a bit seeing Oliver, Dinah and Roy racing into battle. Can't wait for more!

Batwoman #1 : First issue was good, but not great. Was hoping Jacob and Bette would be utilized, but that doesn't look like it will be the case. I do like delving into Kate's lost years, as that could make for some good story.

Trinity #7 : Liking the start of the 2nd arc a little better. Lex and Rhas Al Ghul have been done to death, but adding Circe into the mix could make for some interesting twists. Circe at least hasn't been used for quite some time.

Batman #19. : This was probably my least favorite installment on the Bane arc, but I confess Bane is my least favorite Bat-villain. Short version: Bane smash.

Nightwing #17 : This run is finally starting to grow on me, now that I can see where it's going a little more. Enjoyed the Damien/ Dick interplay. Also liking the idea of Deathwing as a nemesis. Pre-52 he was an alternate Earth version, so liking the idea of a same Earth counterpart.

Old March 20th, 2017   Amentep is offline   #248
Amentep

Superman #18, Action Comics #975, Superman #19 - definitely enjoyed this. Curious to see what all comes of it. Been a great cross-over so far. Wasn't really expecting him to be mystery Clark, but it totally worked.

Batman #19 - Bane smash indeed. A little confused on how Bane smashed Solomon Grundy (but maybe I remember classic Grundy too much). Sadly the comic shop was out of Batman #18 so I missed how we got here.

Detective Comic #952 - this isn't really a good month for Batman, as he seems to keep getting his rear kicked. I'm not really sure what to make of this issue; I'm not wild about super-Shiva. Also we go through the whole colony plot where they seem like paranoid wackos only to find out...they were right? Hmmm...

Supergirl #7 - An interesting story although after the giant battle of the first storyarc, it seems weird that we're not getting any time with SG as a civilian rather than back to more superscience with the lab people. Hope the supporting cast isn't getting lost.

Supersons #1 and #2 - The first two issues are pretty fun. I like the dynamics between the characters.

Superwoman #9 - Not really sure what is going to happen with this title after this.

Old March 20th, 2017   Matches is offline   #249
Matches
stepping aside

Superman #19 : The Reborn arc has really delivered. Have to say that I have NOT been rooting for the return of the charmless nuClark and nu Lois, but hopeful it will allow the real Ckark and Lois to regain their spots as the definitive pair of prime Earth.
ddf
I'm guessing they're going to have their essences combined or something to that effect, given the line about Superman being "split" at some point. Also the references to red and blue hearken back to the Superman Red/ Blue storylines of... uh.. is "yore" still a word? Not sure. Anyway, I've really enjoyed the Superman chapters of this story, so-so on the Action issue.

Green Arrow #18,19 : Really really enjoying "the return of Roy Harper". Don't recall their early years being told with a modern sensibility. Let's face it, millionairres don't really take on youthful wards. So seeing Oliver take in the homeless Roy, and Roy behaving like a troubled youth made for some great backstory. And I geeked out a bit seeing Oliver, Dinah and Roy racing into battle. Can't wait for more!
ddf
Totally agree here - one of the best arcs of this series yet. I had a brief "ah nuts" moment when Roy and Dinah interacted as near-strangers given their pre-Flashpoint past, but otherwise, yea, just spot on.

Batwoman #1 : First issue was good, but not great. Was hoping Jacob and Bette would be utilized, but that doesn't look like it will be the case. I do like delving into Kate's lost years, as that could make for some good story.
ddf
Feels like Velvet, probably because of Epting's art. Bette got a name-drop so we may see her at some point. This feels more stylistically similar to the Rucka/ JHWIII run which I assume is the goal, rather than the weird vampire stuff from the end of the New 52 series.

Batman #19. : This was probably my least favorite installment on the Bane arc, but I confess Bane is my least favorite Bat-villain. Short version: Bane smash.
ddf
Bane smash SO GOOD though! Yea probably a little decompressed but it had such a great rhythm to it. Loved Amygdala's dialog. Batman pulling a Reverse Knightfall on Bane is inspired.

Nightwing #17 : This run is finally starting to grow on me, now that I can see where it's going a little more. Enjoyed the Damien/ Dick interplay. Also liking the idea of Deathwing as a nemesis. Pre-52 he was an alternate Earth version, so liking the idea of a same Earth counterpart.
ddf
I was about ready to drop this one a few issues ago but this arc has turned me around. Seeley is really embracing the Morrison Batman run here and IMO it's quite strong.

All-Star Batman #8 was a fun head-trippy issue too. Giuseppe Camuncoli did the art this issue and it features the Mad Hatter in a slightly modified role. Strong stuff.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old March 21st, 2017   starks is offline   #250
starks
Geoffan

Superman #19: Part 3 of ‘Superman Reborn’ has Superman & Lois play a game with Mxy. The game ends as soon as it began with Jon coming out of The Daily Planet’s globe with the other Superman & Lois (New 52).

This wasn’t a good issue, felt extremely rushed. But it looks like what I surmised a while ago that we had the Blue/Red Supermen from the 90’s.

I was really disappointed even more in that the only part Mr. Oz took part in this issue was being featured on the cover. In that, this felt like a bait & switch. I felt cheated.

Hopefully the next issue of Action Comics brings everything home & makes up for this past week’s offering.

Super Sons #2: I liked the story, just don’t like Kid Amazo thus far. Too grim. Will have to see how next month’s issue plays out though.

Batman #19: Batman has Bane go through a gauntlet of Arkham Asylum inmates. Okay issue for what it was. Hopefully we’ll get a good payoff next month.

Batwoman #1: Kate tracks down the monster venom that’s on the black market, along with Alfred’s daughter. They meet up with the alleged seller/killer. Decent issue.

Nightwing #17: Don’t know exactly what was going on here for most of the issue & don’t know why Pyg knows so much about the Bat Family.

I thought the character going to Bludhaven was at first a positive, but things for me are going a bit south. The art isn’t doing the title any favors either.

Suicide Squad #13: Absolutely hate Romita’s art. Learning who shot Waller was a letdown, but that last page of the backup made up for things.

Aquaman #19: Arthur, Mera & The Aquamarines are at a research facility looking for missing researchers & Dark Water. They haven’t found the former, but found the latter. Pretty good issue.

Old March 21st, 2017   starks is offline   #251
starks
Geoffan

ddf
Wasn't in love with this issue.

Old March 21st, 2017   starks is offline   #252
starks
Geoffan

ddf
I think Jacob will be. If not, I think it's a misstep.

Old March 21st, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #253

Superman #19: Part 3 of ‘Superman Reborn’ has Superman & Lois play a game with Mxy. The game ends as soon as it began with Jon coming out of The Daily Planet’s globe with the other Superman & Lois (New 52).

This wasn’t a good issue, felt extremely rushed. But it looks like what I surmised a while ago that we had the Blue/Red Supermen from the 90’s.

I was really disappointed even more in that the only part Mr. Oz took part in this issue was being featured on the cover. In that, this felt like a bait & switch. I felt cheated.

Hopefully the next issue of Action Comics brings everything home & makes up for this past week’s offering.
ddf
starks View Post
I'm hoping the resolution will be bigger than just a Superman Red/Blue explanation. I've been thinking all along that Superman/Lois existing on the Telos world and coming here when the Multiverse was reborn may have caused some cosmic echo that spit out nuClark/nuLois...and that an intact version of real-Clark/real-Lois & son will be restored (somehow). I had also wondered if tampering by Dr Manhatten was also at play...explaining that blue flame effect we keep seeing.

I will be disappointed if it's strictly a Superman red/blue explanation. I'm hoping for something bigger. I also frankly do NOT want nuLois/nuClark back and am not rooting for the final result being a mashup of the two. My preference would be for the current versions to step into the shoes of their dead red predecessors with current memories intact.

Old March 21st, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #254

Nightwing #17: Don’t know exactly what was going on here for most of the issue & don’t know why Pyg knows so much about the Bat Family.

I thought the character going to Bludhaven was at first a positive, but things for me are going a bit south. The art isn’t doing the title any favors either.
ddf
starks View Post
Agree on the art. I see it getting a lot of raves in various comic-site reviews, but I don't see it. The artist on the Grayson title drew the definitive Dick Grayson in my book, and the current artist is way too "sketchy" for my taste.

Old March 22nd, 2017   superfriend is offline   #255
superfriend
laughs at comics

so Action Comics #976...,

ahem, The Superman Reborn Identity: Part 4, The Conclusion; an internet review

so much Rebirthing. what to do with all of the Rebirth?

this was the nail in the coffin for the red trunks (that should not be a spoiler). the "Swan Song for the Red Undies". collector's item, a "moment" for ol' Big Blue. loved that stuff.

loved Mxy. always do. used to hate him. he's a cheat. i don't take things so seriously these days. but yeah, it was Mxy the whole time (not counting oblique references to the architect of it all, a "him" who Mxyzptlk cannot override. DC laying breadcrumbs, reports Rich Johnston (see Flash #xx, Green Lantern and the Green Lanterns #xx and some others)...if you're into breadcrumbs.)

but yeah, this spells it out. the status quo isn't really all that different from what it's been since Rebirth started, eye em oh. the way there was pretty dumb but comics, particularly Eddie Berganza-led Superman groups, are dumb (among other terrible things). so with much shooting one in one's own foot, DC's got their Superman story straight.

i'll say this, these uni/multiversal CRISES really do a number on the Man of Steel. always have. once there was just one Superman. and then a new Superman on a new different Earth came on the scene and the old Superman got called something and the new Superman got called something else, right? metatag: Supermans gets Sorted. you see where i'm going with this? so it's in Superman's DNA. it just seemed like trying to figure out who the new Superman was supposed to be took forever this time. i mean i can't be too ungrateful for getting my wish of an in-continuity Grant Morrison Superman run but i also learned some tough lessons.

thanks Superman!

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
so after 7 years, we have the physical New52niverse that includes everyone's DC comic collections (give or take) with a kind of OMD Superman (swap Mxy for Mephisto) where the secret identity is restored, the marriage is kept and Jon is retconned in. Superdad looks almost exactly like pre-Flashpoint Supes sans red trunks and maybe more metal for belt and boots (though i'm already seeing inconsistencies in how the boots are portrayed).

it's a classic/New52 melange. the largess of the initial 2010 Didio/Lee New 52 seems to be as muted as it's ever been.

observe everything, admire nothing
Old March 23rd, 2017   Matches is offline   #256
Matches
stepping aside

so Action Comics #976...,

i'll say this, these uni/multiversal CRISES really do a number on the Man of Steel. always have. once there was just one Superman. and then a new Superman on a new different Earth came on the scene and the old Superman got called something and the new Superman got called something else, right? metatag: Supermans gets Sorted. you see where i'm going with this? so it's in Superman's DNA. it just seemed like trying to figure out who the new Superman was supposed to be took forever this time. i mean i can't be too ungrateful for getting my wish of an in-continuity Grant Morrison Superman run but i also learned some tough lessons.

thanks Superman!

so after 7 years, we have the physical New52niverse that includes everyone's DC comic collections (give or take) with a kind of OMD Superman (swap Mxy for Mephisto) where the secret identity is restored, the marriage is kept and Jon is retconned in. Superdad looks almost exactly like pre-Flashpoint Supes sans red trunks and maybe more metal for belt and boots (though i'm already seeing inconsistencies in how the boots are portrayed).

it's a classic/New52 melange. the largess of the initial 2010 Didio/Lee New 52 seems to be as muted as it's ever been.

ddf
superfriend View Post
Definitely agree Superman is at the center of these things, I think by design. It's the Geoff Johns influence IMO; even going back to Infinite Crisis he's metatextualized the idea that Superman is the center of the DC Universe. So if there was (as appears to be the case) some sort of alteration to the DC Universe after Flashpoint, it makes sense that splitting Superman in two would be the catalyst, and that undoing the split would be the catalyst for fixing it.

And yea as for the spoiler part:

Retconning Jon in as part of this Earth's continuity pretty well shoots in the head the idea of the main heroes having only been around 5-6 years, yes? If Superman and the other original JLAers are contemporaries then they're all back to around their pre-Flashpoint ages as well. It appears they're keeping some vestiges of the New 52, presumably the most popular bits, but largely reinstating the old continuity, with an in-story excuse to change whatever they wanted to change.

Which is, y'know, kind of huge. I'm actually surprised it rolled out in an issue of Action rather than a line-wide event.

Flash #19 has some Rebirth-y stuff this week too. Very stoked for The Button.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.