The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Ron Marz > Ron's Comics!

Old November 24th, 2005   Ron Marz is offline   #1
Ron Marz
Premier

Default Marz Needs Questions

Actually, I don't need questions, I need to finish the next Cyber Force script. But since there's been a lot of interest expressed in the Ion series here, over a number of threads, I thought I'd start a thread for you guys to ask questions or just make comments directed toward me.

At this point, there's probably not a lot I can say -- DC is playing this one pretty close to the vest, so please don't be disappointed if I end up answering "Wait and see" pretty often. But I thought the enthusiasm with which many of you greeted this news deserved some attention. Thanks -- it's appreciated.

Old November 24th, 2005   Voltage is offline   #2
Voltage
Geoffan

What is this tragedy you speak of?
Is kyle going to be separated from GL?
Will he get a new cotume?
Is it Space or earth?
Is he goin to be the most powerful hero?
Is there any way I can thank you for creating my favorite character other than on the message board?

Old November 24th, 2005   The Kid Lantern is offline   #3
The Kid Lantern
They call me Mason....

Will the Ion title play off of what we've already seen in the Hand of God story?

And will Kyle ever see time on earth again?

~KL~

I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world....
Old November 24th, 2005   LouieAussie1973 is offline   #4
LouieAussie1973
Advanced Geoffan

Ron thanks for the time to communicate with us. Look forward to reading your Ion Series.

Just a question: Will there be any connection to the Ion Storyline in the previous series? Or Circle Of Fire for that matter?

THanks

L

It 's only comics folks!
Old November 24th, 2005   Diamondrock is offline   #5
Diamondrock
Azrael Advanced

Actually, I don't need questions, I need to finish the next Cyber Force script. But since there's been a lot of interest expressed in the Ion series here, over a number of threads, I thought I'd start a thread for you guys to ask questions or just make comments directed toward me.

At this point, there's probably not a lot I can say -- DC is playing this one pretty close to the vest, so please don't be disappointed if I end up answering "Wait and see" pretty often. But I thought the enthusiasm with which many of you greeted this news deserved some attention. Thanks -- it's appreciated.
ddf
Ron Marz
Wow, thanks for stopping by. A couple of simple questions that you might actually be able to answer:

1. Does the change from GL to Ion happen during One Year Later, or after?

and

2. Will Kyle change his costume?

It's gonna be great having you write Kyle again!

Old November 24th, 2005   Dax is offline   #6
Dax
Neo Geoffan

Ion? Is this gonna be a tale from the past when kyle was Ion?
Parallax Vs Ion would be sweet.

Old November 24th, 2005   Matt Olsen is offline   #7
Matt Olsen
Dark Lord of Daffodils

Congrats on the new gig! I'm glad DC is reaching out to fans of the character.

DC takes some criticism for having characters that are too powerful. What can you share of your plans to keep the character grounded and the threats in proportion to Ion's abilities?

"He's a semi-aquatic, egg-laying mammal of action..."
Old November 24th, 2005   Infernorhythm is offline   #8
Infernorhythm
Aspiring Writer

Why did DC decide to give Kyle a book and not Alan? Kyle just finished a long running series and Alan hasn't had one since the fourties, where it was a big seller.

Superman Returns was a great film. DO NOT REBOOT!
Old November 24th, 2005   WARRIOR is offline   #9
WARRIOR
Deactivated

Please find an unimaginable way to give us back Parallax. I mean, something really outside of the box so that he and Hal can both coexist. Andno, not the stupid yellow bug thing.

I think it's a shame that one of the greatest villain concepts and all around best costume designs EVER is thrown away and never fully utilized.

I mean, there ARE alternate realities in the DCU still. Perhaps Hal succeeded in remaking the universe in his image in one of them. Who knows? The possibilities are truly endless.

-Dan
Or maybe Parallax can latch onto Kyle's latin daddy ala Venom (ugh). LOL!

Old November 24th, 2005   Augustine is offline   #10
Augustine
We win. My friend.

1. One of the things most us Kyle fans liked about him was how he was the every day guy, it was very easy to relate to him. Are you going to cotinue to stress that important factor about him?

2. Are we going to see any of the old cast? Specificly the people like Radu and others that use to be in Kyle's apatment, they were interesting but undeveloped. Please for the love of god no Terry!

3. What keeps bringing you back to Kyle overall?

4. Relationships...is Kyle going to have one? Will it be with anyone he previously was with? Most of us enjoyed the Donna pairing until a certain someone wanted to use her.

5. Will you and Geoff be working together in any way?

6. Alex. It always comes back to her...or is it time to move on?

7. Nero! Not a question...just...NERO!!!!

8. GLC...Kyle in it?

9. Are we going to see Kyle's "real" father you once introduced and not the one we later saw.

10. How did this concept start off ie: Who called who, proposed what, got incriminating evidence on who in power etc.

Yeah as you probably realized Mr. Marz I'm a huge fan of Kyle, been there since day one, he was what got me into comics big time. The Ion concept I didn't care for much and I'm one of those people who really wants Kyle to be GL. So am I going to be disappointed?

Fortune favors the foolish.
Old November 24th, 2005   Skip_Cole is offline   #11
Skip_Cole

Ron Marz *drool*

"Lets face it, 'Superman'...The last time you inspired ANYONE was when you were dead"-Batman (Infinite Crisis #1)
Old November 24th, 2005   Voltage is offline   #12
Voltage
Geoffan

Why did DC decide to give Kyle a book and not Alan? Kyle just finished a long running series and Alan hasn't had one since the fourties, where it was a big seller.
ddf
Infernorhythm
Yeah in the forties... don't get me wrong I love Alan and his mythos, but thats the thing, the GLC mythos is hot, and it isn't his mythos. Plus from a business standpoint Alan works out much better in a group book like JSA where you don't have to delve into his everyday life, because while I'm sure someone could do it, to me the trials and tribulations of a man in his eighties doesn't seem all that interesting. But thats me...

Old November 24th, 2005   Matt Olsen is offline   #13
Matt Olsen
Dark Lord of Daffodils

Kyle just finished a long running series and Alan hasn't had one since the fourties, where it was a big seller.
ddf
Infernorhythm
I think you're on to something there.

"He's a semi-aquatic, egg-laying mammal of action..."
Old November 24th, 2005   starks is offline   #14
starks
Geoffan

1. Do you know if you were the first writer DC approached for this title?

Old November 24th, 2005   Michael Through Time is offline   #15
Michael Through Time
Neo Geoffan

Will Kyle be earth based or in space?

Outside Ion though I do have one question: Will Blade of Kumori #6 ever see the light of day.

Congratulations Ron. I hope you have a good run on Kyle again.

The most important philosophy of life: Expand Your Horizons
Old November 24th, 2005   Ron Marz is offline   #16
Ron Marz
Premier

Egad, I may have opened Pandora's Box here. I'll try to take this in order.

One overall thing, though. I find it interesting that people automatically assume that Kyle will: 1) become the god-like Ion again, and 2) lose his ties to the Corps and the GL legacy in general. I mean, they do call him Torch Bearer, right? So here we go...

Voltage: Can't answer most of these ... which you probably knew anyway. You can thank me by buying Ion. And Samurai: Heaven and Earth. And Cyber Force. And Witchblade.

Kid, obviously Kyle's previous experience/incarnation as Ion is a touchstone, but we're not necessarily repeating ourselves. Yes, Kyle will see time on Earth again.

Louie, see above about the previous Ion story. However, my intention is to make the new series as new-reader friendly as possible. We won't ignore the past, but we won't wallow in a lot of continuity navel gazing either.

Diamond, can't tell you either one of those.

Dax, the series is set "now." Or will be, when it comes out.

Clear, you can be sure we won't lose Kyle's humanity. To me, that's one of his appeals. And I wrote Silver Surfer for something like five years, so I've done powerful.

Inferno, as you said, Alan hasn't headlined a book since the 1940s, which was obviously a VERY different comics market. Geoff has plans for Alan, though.

Warrior, you never know where Parallax might pop up.

Augustine, can't answer everything you asked, but here are the ones I can. I created Kyle to be an "everyman" type, so it's safe to assume that will continue. Some of the old cast will pop up, but I'm moving in new directions; I'm more interested in looking forward, not back. Kyle's had a pretty rough time with relationships; wait and see. Geoff and I have had a number of discussions about all this. Alex is dead, and has been for more than a decade -- move along, nothing to see here. I think I'm probably not telling stories out of school to say Dan Didio approached me earlier this year. And no, you're not going to be disappointed. All will be well.

Starks, I have no idea whether I was the first writer approached. Why would it matter?

Hope everybody had a good Thanksgivingl. Or, as they call it in the rest of the world, Thursday.