The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old August 4th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #337
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

Action Comics #984 : Revenge conclusion. I was already enjoying this arc a lot, but the appearance of Ursa and Lor-Zod at the end was a great surprise. (Has she been seen since dawn of the nu52? Seems like Faora has been the favored daughter since the Man of Steel movie). I suspect Lor-Zod won't be the nicer adopted Chris Kent he was pre-52, but he could become a great nemesis for Jon down the road. Glad to see the Zod family has been set up for some future stories as well. I think we also got a HUGE clue about the identity of Mr. Oz with the connection to the battle armor. And I suspect he's NOT Ozymandius.

Teen Titans #10: Ever since the Lazarus Contract, TT has kicked into high gear. Jackson has added some much needed energy to the book (although I wish they'd just make him a member and call him Aqualad already!) Black Manta's first meeting with his son also played out "nicely".

Flash #27: Running Scared conclusion. Great issue and overall great arc. Iris being the one to "pull the trigger" was a great twist, hearkening back to the Silver Age Trial of the Flash storyline where the outcome was the opposite.

Super Sons #6: Enjoyed the TT guest appearance, and Jon's first intro to them. Also loved the whole angle of Damien thinking he was training Jon (was he really?)

JLA #11: Another okay - but not great- issue. I am noticing a lot of the side players seem to be sticking around (like Lord Havok), so maybe Orlando is playing a long game with some of these seemingly incidental stories. While I like Ray, he does seem to be a bit whiny. Maybe Xenon will talk some sense into him. I suspect I know where that story is going. And finally we're getting some traction on the search for Ray Palmer!

Detective #961: More Azrael stuff (still not warming up to him), although the appearance of the Batzrael suit could be interesting. But still digging the Bruce/Zee flashbacks and really enjoyed the appearance of young(-er) Zatara. Considering Zatara's only been a dead footnote character for most of the last 25 years, it was nice seeing him in play.

Nightwing #25: Okay issue. Wasn't really heartbroken about the Dick/Shawn breakup as I can't say she's really grown on me. New Blockbuster was fun here, and I like the new take on him (not as cheesy as past iterations).

Green Lanterns #27: Great issue. Didn't see the time twist coming, but loved it when I saw it coming together.

Superman #27: Seemed like some online reviews didn't care for this story, but I actually liked it. I AM wondering though when Superman & Action will get the family moved out of Hamilton and into Metropolis, since Super-Sons already has them living there. They've been talking about it, but...get on with it already!

Justice League #25: Glad to see Hitch back. As I was bagging and boxing my stack of books this month, I realized he's had subs for the last 3-4 months. Mera was still around, so now we know the previous issue wasn't a meaningless one-off. I wish there was an explanation for the redheaded prisoner Batman talked to the whole issue. She was never once called by name or given a text box to explain. If she was from a previous issue, it's been too long and I didn't remember her. Ah well.

Green Arrow #27: I like how Ollie is building a relationship with the JLA throughout this story. I suspect there's a membership offer coming.

Batman #27 : Good installment. I've never really found the Riddler scary before (until here). Also, who knew the origin of Kite Man would bring a tear to my eye. I love it when a writer takes a Z-list character and actually crafts an intriguing story about them.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old August 10th, 2017   Jake1823 is offline   #338
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

Mr. Miracle #1 is the kind of comic I read this medium for. Moving and brilliant. Tom King is a star.

Where is everybody?
Old August 16th, 2017   starks is offline   #339
starks
Geoffan

Super Sons #6: Teen titans guest star. Robin ditches Superboy and he & his team don’t fare too well against a trio of villains, whose motivations remain unclear. Good issue.

Bombshells #’s 30-31: Tried this title out, couldn’t really get into it.

Scooby-Doo Team-Up #28: Fred tells a story about his great-great grandfather, who had a run-in with Jonah Hex. Pretty boring.

Looney Tunes #238: Lame.

Old August 17th, 2017   Matches is offline   #340
Matches
stepping aside

Mr. Miracle #1 is the kind of comic I read this medium for. Moving and brilliant. Tom King is a star.
ddf
Jake1823 View Post
Totally agree. Best new writer to come along since I don't know when. He has yet to fire a dud IMO and Mr. Miracle is amazing, writing and art. I LOVED the way the "Darkseid is" panels increased in frequency throughout the issue - such an effective tool.

So... what's happening in this book? Is Scott dead? Is Darkseid subtly altering reality and Scott's the only one who notices? Having the late night host be Godfrey is a pretty dead giveaway that something's not right, but Scott's at best an unreliable narrator.

Also - Metal #1 this week. Batman riding a dinosaur is not the craziest thing in the issue! So here's my question on that one - didn't occur to me until it was discussed on a podcast I like, but:

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
Daniel is the grandson of the Golden Age Hawkman. Is that a coincidence, or is his appearance yet another tie to the Hawk-characters?

Really really loved the idea that the events of Return of Bruce Wayne were the catalyst that set all this in motion. Great start to this one.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old August 22nd, 2017   starks is offline   #341
starks
Geoffan

Dark Nights – Metal #1: At first, with the Justice League battling for their lives in Mongul’s arena, I thought, “Wow, this waste a waste of $5.” But when the heroes returned to Earth, things turned for the better. I’m enjoying this event thus far, and I’m all in now.

Side note: I didn’t pre-order this or have my LCS hold a copy, figuring there would be plenty. Boy, was I wrong! Went last Saturday, and there no copies on the shelf or at the front of the store. I inquired & was told they ordered 100 copies and they sold out on Wednesday. That’s impressive! I wonder how it was for other stores.

As I was checking out, the clerk remembered that someone brought their issue back or wasn’t interested when he was making his purchases, so they actually had one more copy. As long as I wasn’t screwing someone out of their copy—I was assured I wasn’t—I took it. I lucked out there. And I think I got the variant (Batman on the dinosaur) to boot.

Detective Comics #962: A lot going on here, decent conclusion to this storyline. Wasn’t exactly a homerun, but Batman getting that reveal, and that last page helped things out.

Batman #28-29: War continues as Bruce has a sit down with the two aggressors. Yes, we know he’s going to give himself up. Just get along with it.

Nightwing #26-27: Giz is laid to rest. Nightwing gets a surprise visit from Helena. Then then learn of Spyral’s involvement in The Blud. Defacer is back to no good, & Mouse has plans of her own. Good story developing.

Action Comics #985: Superman battles The Machinist with Lex helping out. Good story.

Superman #28: The Kents are in DC, seeing the sites, then meet up with a family. Nice story.

Superman #29: Don’t know if this is a new creative team or this is a fill-in storyline, with “special thanks to Peter Tomasi & Patrick Gleason” throwing me off a bit. Regardless, this was an interesting issue, with a certain entity found & an individual who was believed to be dead, alive & well. Odd that this “rebirth” wasn’t handled in the Hal Jordan/GLC title.

JLA #12: Part of the team goes to the Microverse to get Ray back. The writing’s not great, but I’m interested in seeing how this storyline plays out.

Hal Jordan/GLC #26: John & Guy are on Mogo, while Hal & Kyle are sent elsewhere. They meet up with Orion. Decent issue.

Old August 22nd, 2017   starks is offline   #342
starks
Geoffan

Matches,

I don't think it's a coincidence.

Old August 30th, 2017   starks is offline   #343
starks
Geoffan

Detective Comics #963: I hope they do find a cure for Clayface, but I have an inkling they won’t. Making us care about him just so they can turn him into a monster permanently. Good to see Spoiler back, and to see Anarky as well. This was a solid issue.

Action Comics #986: Superman stops The Machinist while helping Lex. Looking forward to seeing who Oz really is.

Red Hood/Outlaws #13: Lex helps out Bizarro, while all three reminisce. Interesting ending here. Such a great comic. Good story development, humor & characters that feed off of each other so well. Great art too. One of my favorite comics.

Super Sons #7: Superboy & the Teen Titans go after the villains & show good teamwork. Good issue.

Teen Titans #11: Jackson learns of the power he truly wields, as he takes on his father, the Black Manta. Decent issue.

Batman Beyond #11: Not a title I normally get, and would probably need to get a few back issues to get the total enjoyment out of this storyline (this issue is the story’s conclusion). Damian leads the League of Assassins. Terry & Damian battle each other, while Terry also battles his suit. Cool issue.

Aquaman #27 : I’ll get the rest of this storyline, but after that I’ll go the trade route—if I continue at all. Don’t like this direction or art.

Titans #14: Oookay. Things just got weird. We learn who the traitor is. Just an odd issue.

Suicide Squad #24: The Squad starts to question Waller’s orders, then realizes who’s really pulling the strings. Okay issue.

Deathstroke #22: Team Defiance gets tested by Dr. Light’s not really there minions, while he & Slade have a chat. Good issue.

Hal Jordan/GLC #27: Although Jordan’s name is on the title, Venditti does a really good job on making everyone important. There’s a really good balance here. I’m a tad confused with Orion though, as I didn’t think he was Highfather’s son, so this Golem shouldn’t even be after him. Am I correct?

Supergirl #12: A little confused with what’s going on, as I picked this up because of the Emerald Empress. Maybe a back issue or two would help. Seems to be way too much dialogue/monologue from Supergirl.

Trinity #12: Red Hood & the Outlaws are possessed and are being helped by the Trinity, with an assist by Zatanna, Constantine & Deadman. Good issue.

Space Ghost Future Quest #1: Don’t like the art style for this title. This issue was just plain boring. Will be dropping.

Newsboy Legion/Boy Commandos Special #1: Bored me so much, I couldn’t even get thru half of it.

Scooby-Doo Where Are You? #84: Not too much to this story. Velma gave away who the likely suspect was in the beginning & lo and behold it was him.

Scooby-Doo Team-Up #29: Featuring Top Cat, another boring story.

Old September 1st, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #344
[email protected]

Ok, I'm seriously behind on my reading due to a Caribbean Cruise (sorrynotsorry), and working a 2nd job in the theatre lately, but here goes...

Dark Nights – Metal #1: Liked it, although having read the previous two prelude issues, didn't feel like there was too much new here. Still, I enjoyed it.

Green Lanterns #29: This book has really put two D-list Lanterns on the map. Just when I thought there was nothing new to learn about the lantern mythos, this visit-to-the-past arc is really rocking. The story of the original seven lanterns is great stuff! Now, can we just get a back ring on Simon's finger??? The art is also top-notch.

Nightwing #27: Enjoying the Spyral agents coming back into Dick's life. Helena and Tiger in particular. Wishing I liked the art better. Too sketchy. I miss the crispness of the Grayson art. If Dick is supposed to be the most objectified man in the DCU, he needs to look it (looking more like a scratchpad version).

Action Comics #985-986: I'm just gonna say it...I'm REALLY sick of Super-Lex. He's in more books than Superman it seems like. I don't mind him being painted in shades of grey, but he's been full-out good for far too long. This is only going to be worth it if he turns out to be the judas in some epic situation, but I'm really bored with do-gooder Lex. I miss evil self-centered Lex.

Superman #29: Having just read the first 3 volumes of Injustice on my cruise, the appearance of a Sinestro-Supes made my hair* stand on end. A Minute Longer is off to a great start.
*Editor's Note: Astro has no hair

Wonder Woman #28: Wasn't sure what to make of this arc at first, but it's really grown on me. It's a buddy arc between Diana and modern Etta, and that's honestly not something we've seen in the last 30 years. Liking it more and more.

JLA #12: Panic In the Microverse 1. Finally! This is the first arc in this book that's felt like it had real substance. Lobo works best here when he's playing off Batman (wish I could even repeat here the line that made me laugh so hard!) There seem to be shades of "Sword of the Atom" in play, and looking forward to seeing Ray Palmer back in action, even if it's only for one story.

Justice League #27: Legacy is a lot of fun so far. Enjoying the "children of the JLA" bit, even though I'm not loving the implied Jessica/Barry pairing. Dory and Hunter are my faves so far.

Titans #14: Really enjoyed the focus on Garth, who's been a tabula rasa for most of his time in the nu52/rebirth universe. Continues to be my favorite DCU book. Also hoping the current lawsuit over the Bumblebee name doesn't shove Karen into the background again for another 40 years!!!

Aquaman #27: I guess this is the book Starks and I are going to have to continue to disagree over :0)
Enjoyed Mera's visit with Garth, and pulling him into the rebellion picture. Arthur as the rogue king is also a lot of fun for me. He visually seems to be getting pulled closer to his DCEU look, but I don't really mind it. I have a hunch Aquaman will be the breakout character of the JL movie, based on what I've seen so far.

Old September 8th, 2017   Call Me El is offline   #345
Call Me El
Geoffan

Supergirl #12: A little confused with what’s going on, as I picked this up because of the Emerald Empress. Maybe a back issue or two would help. Seems to be way too much dialogue/monologue from Supergirl.
ddf
starks View Post
The gimmick of having her not use contractions when speaking is irritating, too. It doesn't seem to suit her. Strangely, though, she uses them when she thinks which makes no sense to me. On the plus side, the art is a vast improvement over earlier issues, giving the gravitas that the story deserves.

"I know nothing stays the same
But if you're willing to play the game
It's coming around again" - Carly Simon
Old September 14th, 2017   starks is offline   #346
starks
Geoffan

Superman #30: Writer Keith Champagne delivers a good story here, with Superman triumphing at the end. When Superman is talking to The Weaponers, he questioned one about their lightning bolts (what they’re used for, like weapons and the ability to travel thru time). The Weaponer finished his response with “Among other things.”

This got me thinking, what else could they responsible for or have contributed to? And looking at them, could they be one of Hawkman’s groups?

Batman #30: I know Tom King is being touted as one of the DC’s next big writers, but will this storyline ever end?

Nightwing #30: Wasn’t really into the Grayson title, so I’m glad this story arc is over. This title needs a new art team.

JLA #13: The search for Ray Palmer starts off horribly. The writing is awful. And I’m having a hard time believing this is Ivan Reis’ artwork…not very good either. I’m going to drop & only get an issue here or there (like the upcoming issues with Prometheus).

Old September 14th, 2017   starks is offline   #347
starks
Geoffan

Aquaman #27: I guess this is the book Starks and I are going to have to continue to disagree over :0)
Enjoyed Mera's visit with Garth, and pulling him into the rebellion picture. Arthur as the rogue king is also a lot of fun for me. He visually seems to be getting pulled closer to his DCEU look, but I don't really mind it. I have a hunch Aquaman will be the breakout character of the JL movie, based on what I've seen so far.
ddf
I'm dropping the title after this storyline, and gotta say, he sounds like a buffoon in the Justice League trailers. Wonder Woman is going to carry that movie.

Old September 15th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #348
[email protected]

Still way behind on my reading, but here goes...

Batwoman #6: Much improved over the first arc. Seeing Kate back in Gotham and interacting with Renee was a welcome touch. Renee has been severely under-utilized since the nu52 began. Still looking for a Bette or Jacob Kane appearance.

Batgirl & The BOP #13: The addition of Ivy and Catwoman to the roster is adding some much-needed life to the title. Ready for this book to go somewhere though...I think a strong opponent is needed.

Hal & The GLC #26: Not a big New Gods fan, but in the cosmic context with the GLC I don't mind them. Good start to the new story.

Flash #28: The negative speed force angle is breathing some fresh air into Barry's mythos. Liking the start of the "Negative" arc.

Detective Comics #962: The interminable Azrael arc is finally over and good riddance. It didn't change my mind about the character for one very specific reason...while I get the backstory now, I'm still not sure I understand the guy in the suit himself. How does he feel about the programming inside him and the role he's been forced into? Still too 90's kewl. Enjoyed the Zatanna appearances though.

Super Sons #7: Jon's intro to the Teen Titans was a lot of fun. The lighheartedness of this book continues to put a smile on my face. It's just FUN.

Supergirl Annual #1: As an annual, this was on odd read for me. Annuals are typically the finale of a big story, OR a stand alone. This was the middle section of an arc, and read like it. Felt a little disjointed. I also thought Cat Grant was depicted a little over-the-top (she's a media mogul, not Lex Luthor). The Danvers appearance came just at the right moment. If anything, I felt like Emerald Empress needed more focus, but I did like the parts with her featured.

Wonder Woman #29: As a palette cleanser arc after Rucka, this story continues to be okay. Liked the choice of villains here, including Cheshire and Plastique. Was also glad to see the Steve/Diana relationship reinforced, since it barely got back on solid footing (after 35 years) at the end of Rucka's run..

JLA #13: Okay issue, but getting anxious for the return of Ray Palmer, and some answers. I hope he doesn't end up being a footnote in this story.

Green Arrow #29: While I'm on Batman overload throughout the DCU, it was nice to see the differences between the two explored (since there are so many superficial similarities).

Teen Titans #11: Overall A+ for me. Aqualad's story has been a long time coming, since it got cut short due to Flashpoint all those years ago, and we had to wait 6+ years to see it finally get told. Loved that Garth came in to pass the mantle, and Black Manta's role has been made clear. This is also finally feeling like a fully fleshed out team, not just a Damien book.

Batman #29: Ostensibly, the whole story is Bruce's confession to Selena about a dark choice he made back in year One, and that angle is working for me. Seeing the differences between Riddler and Joker over an 8 course meal also gave me a little giggle.

Old September 15th, 2017   superfriend is offline   #349
superfriend
laughs at comics

i've been critical of Tom King in the past...well that's being generous to overreactors, but i just wasn't getting it.

MR. MIRACLE is pretty great. maybe it's right time, right place or whatevs but i am enjoying the heck out of King/Gerads on Scott Free and a seemingly literary and contemporary take.

it feels like King has figured something out. admittedly, i don't read Batman so i'm sure the progression's been there but Omega Men, Vision and Sheriff of Babylon had moments/elements but as complete works there were big swaths i just didn't enjoy and didn't want to revisit to mine the good bits.

Mr. Miracle seems inspired to me. loving it. wish the Big Two curated these types of series more despite them prolly not selling much.

also reading ACTION COMICS. big reveal there. a kind of crazy this'll-be-erased-with-#1000-or-something reveal. still, this is the Superman book i'm following as guilty pleasure. it's nice to have finally gotten this story rolling though. the fill-ins with the Superman comics have been like most fill-in stuff: uneven.

observe everything, admire nothing
Old 4 Weeks Ago   Astro@work is offline   #350
[email protected]

More catching up, but also a couple of big ones on the list, but here goes...

Action Comics #987: The Oz reveal was good one. After this much build-up, it needed to be somebody major. Looking forward to finding out the backstory next issue. I will say that it NOT being Ozymandius (as many suspected) still leaves us at point zero for forwarding the Watchmen influence suggested since the beginning of Rebirth.

Metal #2: My God was it talky. Talky, talky talky exposition. That said, at least all the obscure plot points did tie together for me. The court of Owls, the various metals, the 2 deaths of Batman (so far) are all stories I read and remember...so there was some "payoff" for the disparate ideas pulling together into one metatextual narrative. Also, not sure how we're supposed to be feeling about Kendra. I know who she is from her previous stories in other different continuities. What I don't fully grasp is THIS Kendra...does she know she used to be Shayera? Do others know this? Does she remember Carter? Hoping this gets fleshed out more.

Deathstroke #23: Another solid installment, although not a lot of momentum in the story. Still, I enjoyed the Rose/Slade and Joey/Adeline interplay.

Teen Titans #12: Well I had just gotten done praising issue 11 for finding the voices of all the characters, then TT turned right back into another issue of Damien: the solo series. Honestly, it's like DC can't help themselves they HAVE to continually sabotage one of their best known properties. I miss the Teen version of the TT, especially in their own book. I did enjoy their 2 page cameo though. Phooey.

Detective Comics #963,964: Liking the next arc, although I'm honestly biding my time waiting for the return of Tim Drake. Glad to see Stephanie getting some page time again. Am surprisingly really enjoying the Clayface/Mudface story. Really kind of rooting for the guy.

Superwoman #14: Well, I've come this far so I'm sticking this out to the end...but I feel like when Superwoman wraps up the consensus will be that they just never knew what to do with her. Wasn't a bad issue really, but it worked better as a Supergirl story than a Superwoman story.

Supergirl #13: Liked the finale better than the Annual installment. Supergirl ripping apart the Eye of Ekron was a great scene. What wasn't delivered on though was the promise of some forward momentum on the Saturn Girl/Legion story set up in Rebirth. Emerald Empress vanishes back to her own century...but what of Imra Ardeen trapped here, or the long unseen Legion? Would have been nice to get some additional backstory, even if it didn't wrap up everything in a bow. What I did like is the developments with Zor-El. Or at least I think I did, unless Oz just killed him (in which case that was a lot of set up for nothing!)

Titans #15: Another strong issue of my still-favorite series. The who-is-the-traitor angle is playing out nicely. I'm suspicious that the prophecy about the clay girl is NOT Lillith Clay, but is rather the girl-made-of-clay (Donna). We'll see. Also, they did not REALLY just kill Wally did they????? Thinking there has to be an out on this one...like he's frozen himself in time and not actually dead. Please don't make me rip up 30 years of back issues DC!!!

JLA #14: FINALLY the return of Ray Palmer!! Great last scene, and have to see this arc has been a great spotlight on Ryan Choi.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   Matches is offline   #351
Matches
stepping aside

MR. MIRACLE is pretty great. maybe it's right time, right place or whatevs but i am enjoying the heck out of King/Gerads on Scott Free and a seemingly literary and contemporary take.

it feels like King has figured something out. admittedly, i don't read Batman so i'm sure the progression's been there but Omega Men, Vision and Sheriff of Babylon had moments/elements but as complete works there were big swaths i just didn't enjoy and didn't want to revisit to mine the good bits.
ddf
superfriend View Post
Scott and Barda are now my favorite couple in comics. So many cool little touches in #2, from the repeated "I'm too tall" line to the simple scene of them sleeping back-to-back in bed. Of COURSE that's how they would sleep, given the circumstances in which they grew up. A small thing but extremely effective in humanizing them both.

Action Comics #987: The Oz reveal was good one. After this much build-up, it needed to be somebody major. Looking forward to finding out the backstory next issue. I will say that it NOT being Ozymandius (as many suspected) still leaves us at point zero for forwarding the Watchmen influence suggested since the beginning of Rebirth.
ddf
It's a Jurgens script so naturally it's completely on the nose, with Mr. Oz announcing his true name out loud to someone who already knows it, because the audience needs an identifier and Jurgens doesn't know any other way to give it to them. I'm also wondering about the Watchmen connection - perhaps Dr. Manhattan's meddling with reality is what allowed this character to now be alive? We're supposed to get his secret origin next issue so perhaps there will be some answers there. I liked the art in this issue - added a little life to the script.

A few others:

Batgirl & Birds of Prey #14 was really bad. Like, really bad. I kind of get what they were going for - lighthearted, fun, but none of it works. The characters' voices are all way off (especially Batman), and they're weirdly off in a way that kind of makes me realize they have been since #1. Babs now being both Batgirl and Oracle is one of those things that sounds cool until you spend a half second thinking about how it would work in practice, and then it totally falls apart.

The current Green Arrow storyline is a lot of fun - very cool seeing Oliver reintegrated into the larger DC Universe. The stuff with Hal was particularly well-done. This remains one of the big success stories of Rebirth.

Batman #30 made me feel sorry for Kite-Man, which is no small feat. Man, those scenes with his kid...

Suicide Squad is plagued with some dodgy art lately - I also feel like they're playing Waller too broadly, to the point where she's impossible to root for anymore. Always a challenge with a book about bad guys but I'm kind of getting to where I don't like anyone in the book. (Weirdly, Harley seems to be the closest thing to a POV character and I've just never been a huge Harley fan.)

Still loving Nightwing - the Spyral arc was aces.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   Astro@work is offline   #352
[email protected]

It's a Jurgens script so naturally it's completely on the nose, with Mr. Oz announcing his true name out loud to someone who already knows it, because the audience needs an identifier and Jurgens doesn't know any other way to give it to them. I'm also wondering about the Watchmen connection - perhaps Dr. Manhattan's meddling with reality is what allowed this character to now be alive? We're supposed to get his secret origin next issue so perhaps there will be some answers there. I liked the art in this issue - added a little life to the script.
ddf
Matches View Post
I'll be surprized if you're not 100% correct on the Dr. Manhattan/ Jor-El connection. But they'll probably be coy about it next issue and only depict it as an offscreen presence.