The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old January 13th, 2014   John Casey is offline   #1
John Casey
Geoffan

Default The Return of Wally West....

It's official.... Finally after a not so long absence, DC Plans to re introduce Wally West into the NU52 with the new Flash Creative team... Thoughts?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=50254

Old January 13th, 2014   Greg Waite is offline   #2
Greg Waite
Uber Geoffan

As much as I love Wally, I just can't get behind this.

Nothing against the creative team but it does almost nothing for me.

Yes, I'm happy Wally is back but not enough to add it back to my pull list.

"We can't be all heroes, because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by." Will Rogers
Old January 13th, 2014   Hierarch555 is offline   #3
Hierarch555
Paul O'Neil

Not too happy if Wally becomes Cobalt Blue but I'm loving Venditti and van jensen on the GL titles so I'm in.

Superman: "You can't predict the outcome of every action. You can't stop every injustice simultaneously. But you have to try, don't you?"
Old January 13th, 2014   BART ALLEN is offline   #4
BART ALLEN
pre 52 and proud of it

It is not just the name Wally West the fans want but the character behind the name. Without Linda and the kids it is not Wally. I think dc misses the point the fans do not love book by any name it is the chapters inside that made us love the character

Looking for the light in a land of forever night
Old January 13th, 2014   Werehunter is offline   #5
Werehunter
Master Geoffan

For me it's not if, but how he comes back.

Old January 13th, 2014   Scott Mateo is offline   #6
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

I have a feeling he'll just be "Wally" in name only.

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old January 13th, 2014   JRM is offline   #7
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

As much as I love Wally, I just can't get behind this.

Nothing against the creative team but it does almost nothing for me.

Yes, I'm happy Wally is back but not enough to add it back to my pull list.
ddf
Greg Waite View Post
For me it's a don't know and not sure if I want to care. Maybe somehow they will get this right, or at least sort of right (from my point of view anyways) but the track record for the NU is not great - most of the books I like the most were the ones where they did not have any or little track record in the old universe or they didn't tinker very much. If they can capture a bit of the flavour of the Wally we knew at his best, then maybe - but if they create a new character and throw Wally's name on it - will do nothing but likely cause me to say, okay, time to drop The Flash and move on.

Excited no -- I really have zero faith in DC doing a decent job with with, but hell, there is always the possibility that I could be wrong and that they somehow pull it off..... well we can hope, can't we, eh??

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old January 13th, 2014   Penny Dreadful is offline   #8
Penny Dreadful
At times dark, never grim

I'm on Team Cautious. I will see how they handle it. Right now, I'm still giving DC the side-eye.

On a long, extended break from massive comic-book events.
Old January 14th, 2014   SamIAm is offline   #9
SamIAm
Geoffan

It's new 52 Wally though so for me it's a wait and see/cautious kind of thing. Because unlike Barry at this point I really don't see how the old Wally can fit in without some serious changes to the character.

Old January 14th, 2014   savitrix is offline   #10
savitrix
Neo Geoffan

I'm on Team Cautious. I will see how they handle it. Right now, I'm still giving DC the side-eye.
ddf
Penny Dreadful View Post
exactly, I´m happy to see his return, but I´ll wait until we see the story behind him

There´s a difference between knowing the path and walking the path
Morpheus_The Matrix_1999
Old January 14th, 2014   Thirdflash is offline   #11
Thirdflash
Geoffan

Pretty much feel the same as everyone else here. I have very little faith that I will actually like this character. They completely remade the Teen Titans. They are almost all name-only characters. Kid Flash is ridiculous. But at least the way they wrote it they can say it was all a VR dream and not his real life. They won't, but they could. Killing off Superboy only to replace him with a son of Superman in a variant of the original clone Superboy costume? Yeezus. Not sure who Wonder Girl is. Red Robin was never a Robin? DC took their own product that has developed over a period of years, wiped with it, and then flushed it.

So, as much as I love Brett Booth and I know he was really pushing for Wally's Return. I'm still in the "wait and see how much I hate it" group.

Question: when all those that your opinion differs from are gone, do you get lonely talking to yourself? I guess you wouldn't if you were Mob Rule.
Old January 14th, 2014   TJLamb0518 is offline   #12
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

I have a feeling he'll just be "Wally" in name only.
ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
Would that make him a WINO?

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old January 14th, 2014   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #13
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

Would that make him a WINO?
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
Good one Tj

As for this, considering Bart is Kid Flash, unless he's sent back to the future and Wally becomes the new Kid Flash (which seems unlikely due to costume), maybe, just maybe, Wally is somehow a "Mercury"? Blue and White were Max's colors...maybe Wally will be angled as the Speedster Mystic, which, to be fair, was kind of the way he was going prior to Geoff's run.

So, yes, wait and see, but IDK...I have a feeling this will actually be cool. Yea, it's not the Wally we know and love, but what if he's easily the best character in New 52? Faint praise as that is to some, isn't that worth checking out then?

Again, we're in "wait and see" mode (thanks Geoff) but I have a good feeling about this.

Heck, as long as Iris is his aunt and his dad (probably Daniel) is still a real bastard, why not? If he insults barry and loves the flash, then we've got the same starting point and I'm down to see where it goes.

Check out Pulpline Magazine for original prose content! Submissions welcome!
Old January 14th, 2014   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #14
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

Also, can we at least give them credit for not making it the kid flash or his old flash costume with some marker lines on it?

Check out Pulpline Magazine for original prose content! Submissions welcome!
Old January 15th, 2014   Astro@work is offline   #15
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

Wait and see for me.

I know there is zero chance he will be a 2nd flash in a recognizable red costume.

More likely he will be an earlier version of Wally (unmarried, no kids) who could possibly become the 2nd Kid Flash. They've written Bart into a corner, so this could be a possibility. I'd rather see this than meet an adult Wally who is some "other" speedster that won't ever be a Flash.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old January 15th, 2014   mego joe is offline   #16
mego joe
Geoffan

I think they're screwed no matter what they do. Without brining back pre-FP Wally there will be disappointments no matter how he's received because without the backstory it will be WINO. That's what ppl like the character he became not who he was when he first appeared. My 2 cents.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me