The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old January 29th, 2014   Simon DelMonte is offline   #1
Simon DelMonte
Diehard DCU & Mets Fan

Default DC Comics This Week - Jan 29

Red Lanterns - Guy grows a 'stache and visits Earth. Which would be fine if he didn't bring two Red buddies. Fun, as usual, and we only have to wait a week for the next issue as DC's giving us that Green Lantern/Red Lanterns twofer special. I hope it brings in more readers for this wacky comic.

Batman and Robin annual - A flashback to Dick Grayson's first case as Robin. Again. Good but doesn't really match Robin Year One. Manhke art, so we can't go wrong here.

Justice League Dark - Something actually happens! And DeMatteis gets to fall back on his usual tropes about such things as love, sacrifice and redemption. The Blight story could have been great if it weren't spread out over so many books and months.

Simon DelMonte
Old January 30th, 2014   Alan is offline   #2
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

Red Lanterns - Guy grows a 'stache and visits Earth. Which would be fine if he didn't bring two Red buddies. Fun, as usual, and we only have to wait a week for the next issue as DC's giving us that Green Lantern/Red Lanterns twofer special. I hope it brings in more readers for this wacky comic.

Batman and Robin annual - A flashback to Dick Grayson's first case as Robin. Again. Good but doesn't really match Robin Year One. Manhke art, so we can't go wrong here.

Justice League Dark - Something actually happens! And DeMatteis gets to fall back on his usual tropes about such things as love, sacrifice and redemption. The Blight story could have been great if it weren't spread out over so many books and months.
ddf
Simon DelMonte View Post
Agree on all fronts there. Red Lanterns is such a good book now under Soule.

Also, DC book of the week so far is Batman: Dark Knight #27, still wordless but with Alberto Ponticelli's amazing art. He was so good on Dial H but its great to see him on a regular book. Some really great pages there, and a fine goodbye from Hurwitz, who has been a really good writer on that book.

The Earth 2 Annual was good solid stuff and tells us who the new Batman is and why. Nice 70's flashback scenes with the right amount of sideburns.

The Worlds Finest Annual suffered a bit in comparison as the art looked so rushed. More pages sometimes just ends up with more rushed than usual. It's OK though.

Flash #27 was another fine issue, nice Kubert-style art from Zircher, and always interesting. Classic Flash cover too.

Forever Evil: Argus is still suffering from the lowest acceptable quality art, in that all the figures are in approximately the right place and in the right proportions but there is nothing interesting happening at all. I don't know who Neil Edwards is but he isn't going to be selling books off his own back if this is all he is capable of. Given the high standards everywhere else this week when you see average or poor art it stands out. The story is actually quite decent but with that art it just doesn't cut it.

Old January 31st, 2014   JeffCapo is offline   #3
JeffCapo

The Earth 2 Annual was good solid stuff and tells us who the new Batman is and why. Nice 70's flashback scenes with the right amount of sideburns.
ddf
Alan View Post
Agreed!!!

Jeffrey T. Capo
Pro Wrestling Referee 1993-2008
4 Time NWA Referee of the Year 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
Old January 31st, 2014   Alan is offline   #4
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

Just looked though the GLC Annual and noticed the art was also by Neil Edwards - but pencils AND inks. And you know what? it's ok. Pretty good actually. Nothing special but definitely decent comic book art, so it looks like the Argus book is either rushed or he's suffering from a poor (or rushed) inker. Just goes to show you can't always tell what an artist is like from one book.

Old February 1st, 2014   Matches is offline   #5
Matches
stepping aside

ddf
Simon DelMonte View Post
I'm a huge mark for Bruce/ Dick Batman/ Robin stories, so I dug the annual. I agree it wasn't as good as Robin: Year One, and actually Mahnke's work wasn't quite up to his usual standard. (Might have had something to do with the multiple inkers.) There was plenty here to like, though. I never realize how much I miss seeing Robin until he shows up - hard to believe he's been gone from the DCU for a year now.

The Earth-2 Annual is being discussed elsewhere so I won't rehash that here except to say I liked it.

Might have flown under the radar for many, but this week's Adventures of Superman (issue #40) is a Superman vs. Joker story written by Max Landis and drawn by Jock. Yeah, that Jock. It's part 1 of a 2-part story, and the whole first part is Superman and the Joker meeting for the first time and having a sparring conversation on the roof of the Daily Planet. Jock alters his art style repeatedly to depict different classic versions of the Joker, from Bob Kane to Neal Adams to Brian Bolland to Greg Capullo. It is phenomenal - very clever script with amazing art.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old February 1st, 2014   Alan is offline   #6
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

Thanks for mentioning the Advs of Superman - I would have overlooked that as I never really pick up the digital only books. I shall download it.

Old February 1st, 2014   Hierarch555 is offline   #7
Hierarch555
Paul O'Neil

I havent read a bunch yet but my favorites, in order, were: B&R annual then Earth 2. This is mainly because, as Matches put it in the Earth 2 thread, Taylor's dialogue was a little "wooden". Both books were really solid albeit a little iffy on the art side in some parts.

Superman: "You can't predict the outcome of every action. You can't stop every injustice simultaneously. But you have to try, don't you?"