The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Town Hall > ComicBlogs: The Voice of the People

ComicBlogs: The Voice of the People Everyone gets a blog, subscribe to others' blogs, get feeds, and more!

Old October 20th, 2006   jonnjonz is offline   #49
jonnjonz
persona non grata

Yes, complimenting a female celebrity on her beautiful skin will definitely show that you have an eye for that kind of thing. I often say Paris Hilton has got amazing skin. I often say that Jennifer Aniston has had some unique hairstyles in the past (even though I despise that actress). It shows that you care about your own appearance and those you associate with. That counts a lot for many a dame.
ddf
Dover Demon View Post
Yes, possibly, or they might think:

"Why does this guy have such an unhealthy preoccupation with celebrities, and why is he so superficial."

Then again, and dependent of course on a number of other key factors such as location, situation under which they find themselves in your company, etc, these may be a few further thoughts they may have:

"I think I'll feign an illness and excuse myself"

"Thank-god, there's [insert name of friend colleague here] I can get out of this."

"When not reading Stuff, FHM, or Details, this guy obviously is reading Marie Claire, Elle, and Cosmopolitan - so he's predictable, and a cliche."

"Who is this guy?"

"Who does this guy THINK he is?"

"Is he for real?"

"Does this guy THINK he's for real"

or

"At least I don't have to FEIGN an illness to excuse myself."

If she has any measure of self-respect or intelligence it is NOT very likely she will say:

"Wow, he's so observant about Paris Hilton's skin, and so attentive to Jennifer Aniston's hair, and I'm sooo wet!"

Old October 20th, 2006   Sharis the Bunny is offline   #50
Sharis the Bunny
Hare today...

I dunno, Jonn, I'm not that polite when excusing myself from uncomfortable situations. In fact, I like to make it as awkward as possible, usually exclaiming loudly something along the lines of "You're not gonna get any, I have a RAGING case of explosive diarrh--uh oh, excuse me!" and dash out the door.

Of course, I haven't been on the dating scene since 1998, so...

Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses.
Old October 20th, 2006   Not My Real Name is offline   #51
Not My Real Name*
The Invisible Horseman

I believe it is.

I also believe that - once again - parody/satire has made a social commentary and illuminated something here. For instance, it seems to be perfectly okay to lob direct insults in this thread at this poster... in fact, "playa" and other name-checking references to this poster have been used insultingly in plenty of other threads, where said poster hasn't even posted. ...This seems to have been perfectly okay, as well.

However, if we were to, say, make a thread that vaguely parodied this one and ones like it, yet made no direct references to this thread, its topic, or the poster who is currently being insulted in it, and someone merely suspected we were addressing this poster/topic, then the thread would be locked down and people would be told that they ought to be ashamed of themselves and that mockery is not tolerated. ...Or does that rule only apply when someone suspects that a thread is indirectly satirizing one special, particular poster's behavior?

The only conclusion that can logically be drawn is: that must be the case. So, let the insults toward this poster continue! And let us thank the forbidden force of parody/satire for demonstrating itself to once again be a driving, revealing force that brings social truths to light.

Who ought to be ashamed of themselves? Not the satirists, that's for sure. ...Although Dover Demon should, if he's for real.
ddf
crawfordcrow View Post
Darin, you should know that parody and satire are delicate things and should always be handled with kid gluvs.

II + II = VII
Old October 20th, 2006   magicspoon is offline   #52
magicspoon
Eye See You

I apologize to dover for hijacking his thread, but I'll dip in and then be out.

Craw, I love you guys, but you guys are out of control. STOP the sniping and the snide remarks against the moderators. You guys are neither so clever nor we so stupid as to not know that your coincidental parody was anything but. You guys got caught, deal with it. No poster or group of posters is priveleged enough that they can do what they want. I'm sorry, but you horsemen are creating a self fulfilling prophecy. Keep attacking people, and repeatedly stirring up stuf to throw back in the mods faces, and you're going to create your anti-horsey agenda.

Just stop, please. Furthermore, I don't want a pm telling me that this forum is dissapointing, and that you guys are saddened. You're creating the mess, and if that's the kind of fun that's dead, then I guess it is. You guys DO post some great stuff, 95% is fantastic, but that doesn't give you carte blanche to do the other 5.

Also, you're free to call me a robot or a nazi, but please leave the other hardworking people on the site, that help make it what it is, out of this.

And to swing this back to topic, its not very good wingman behavior

"Habagase, Get in the Room!"
http://www.harmoniousgrid.com/
Old October 20th, 2006   Erik Sternberger is offline   #53
Erik Sternberger
Apathetic Revolutionary

I don't mind the insults. Not everybody can understand and appreciate the subtlety of my work.
ddf
Dover Demon View Post
Dude, if this is subtle. I would hate to see what "in your face" is!

I like this corn bread so much, I want to take it behind a middle school and get it pregnant.
Old October 21st, 2006   crawfordcrow is offline   #54
crawfordcrow
Toffee Hammer Horseman

No, spoon, I was not saying that it was coincidental and that the participants of the previous thread weren't commenting on the behavior of you-know-who. We weren't solely commenting on his behavior, but it was certainly included in the parody... which was a commentary on certain board behavior/trends that was being made harmlessly and ridiculously (arguing about bringing back the late Tom Mix or the late William S Hart to star in a film?).

What I was saying was that the insults and mockery in this thread, directed at Dover Demon and his behavior are clear and deliberate. It's far from the first or only time where DD is concerned, and - for that matter - it doesn't just happen to DD.

Yet, this is accepted; in fact, implicitly endorsed by the mods' presence and lack of censure toward said behavior... there are no lectures about bullying, no remarks about being disappointed in the posters engaging in that behavior here, or statements that mockery will not be accepted. Dover Demon and his behavior, both, are being mocked and insulted nakedly and plainly, and that's clearly okay.

On the other hand, a thread that while - yes - was, in part, addressing the behavior of another, more "taboo" poster, was broad and commented generally on people who are for and against bringing characters back from the dead. It did not have "gluvs" in it. It did not solely exist for the purpose of belittling another poster, as the comments in this thread have solely existed for. And, yet, it was locked and the posters who participated were scolded.

That's what I'm saying. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying you're a Nazi or any such nonsense... it's your board to do as you see fit, anyway... you can even change my post to read "I'm a fluffy bunny", if you so choose, and it's your right to do so... but nevertheless, it doesn't change the fact that how you all are dealing with this much more obvious dogpile, versus how you dealt with the far vaguer satirization of the previous thread is wildly inequitous and not in the least bit fair.

Not that you need to be fair. It's just ridiculous to act offended at the suggestion when such a naked example exists.

Also... who's attacking mods? Is questioning a decision or a perceived trend of decision-making an attack? I can't speak for anyone else, but I certainly don't go hunting for sh*t to stir up; I've got plenty on my plate in real life, right now. If I have something to say, there's a viable reason which I can outline, as per above. I like making friends, not enemies; but I also have the type of character which compels me to speak, rather than roll over, when I feel something's not right... which really isn't all that often, frankly.
Last edited by crawfordcrow; October 21st, 2006 at 01:17 AM.

Old October 21st, 2006   Velocity9 is offline   #55
Velocity9
Power Cosmic Horseman

I'm a fluffy bunny.
Last edited by Velocity9; October 21st, 2006 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Curse you, Spoon!

Will fight The Amish for money.
Old October 21st, 2006   jonnjonz is offline   #56
jonnjonz
persona non grata

I'm a fluffy bunny.

Old October 21st, 2006   crawfordcrow is offline   #57
crawfordcrow
Toffee Hammer Horseman

I swear, I didn't order them to say that.

(Sehr gut, mein kinder. )

Old October 21st, 2006   DarkNight1939 is offline   #58
DarkNight1939
give 'em hell, kid.

i had a thread about this during summer, i had chick problems, i'll dig it up for you guys.

It's better to live one day as a lion than a thousand as a lamb.
Old October 21st, 2006   Matches is offline   #59
Matches
stepping aside

i had a thread about this during summer, i had chick problems, i'll dig it up for you guys.
ddf
DarkNight1939 View Post
Sweet! Make sure you use gluvs when you dig, though, so your nails will stay clean.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old October 21st, 2006   Sharis the Bunny is offline   #60
Sharis the Bunny
Hare today...

Hey! No one around here is a fluffy bunny but ME.

Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses.
Old October 21st, 2006   TJLamb0518 is offline   #61
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

According to whom?

I'm the only fluffy Lamb, but I'd never begrudge anyone who got the urge to be one...

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old October 21st, 2006   Velocity9 is offline   #62
Velocity9
Power Cosmic Horseman

According to whom?

I'm the only fluffy Lamb, but I'd never begrudge anyone who got the urge to be one...
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
No one wants to be a lamb, mainly because Darin owns a kilt.

Will fight The Amish for money.
Old October 21st, 2006   DarkNight1939 is offline   #63
DarkNight1939
give 'em hell, kid.

http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31902
that be the topic =]

It's better to live one day as a lion than a thousand as a lamb.
Old October 21st, 2006   Greg Owens is offline   #64
Greg Owens
Up Top Horseman

Good question. Wingmen have to have be willing to take one for the team. That means they have to remove the unattractive friends of your target so you can have some quality alone time.
Remove them to where? If the girls have all gone out together you will need more then someone to take one for the team as if they arrived together they will generally leave together as well. All it takes is one visit to the Ladies room and your right back at square one. I had a buddy who was a "Playa" and he only hit on the less than attractive girls and he made out like a bandit. His quality was non-existent (He was not choosy in the least) but his quantity was through the roof. But he found an angle and exploited the heck out of it. They also have to know you rather well and describe your finer qualities to the women you are pursuing. This works if the women have been living under a rock. Most women aren't stupid enough not to know when someone is running a line on them. Plus if they don't know your good buddy who has soooo many nice things to say about you why does she care about his opinion and his seemingly unrequited man crush on you? Now if you have a female friend who can tell the girl your a good guy than your on to something. No women is going to trust word one dripping out of your good buddies mouth but another female is another story. Make sure they keep their nails clean and are presentable in public. Check, no homeless wingmen. Got it.Approaching women alone can be intimidating and awkward. Especially when your posse are homeless sycophants.If you have your boyz with you, girls won't think you're some kind of psychopathic drifter.No, but they might think your a group of peckerheads and that doesn't help either. Wingmen should encourage and motivate you to be social and to approach women. True, most playas need all the encouragement they can get, oh wait ... yeah that's wrong.It is also handy to make sure your wingmen have good memories. You quiz them?They may be required to remember details (such as names and other personal information) that might prove useful for the seduction process. Lazy. If you don't bother than why would the women? Plus a true "Playa" doesn't need to remember jack to bag a drunk chick.Plus they can bail you out of making bad decisions should you get intoxicated. Oh yeah, because drunk people are so easy to talk out of things.It is hard to find men like these. Try Craig's list under Toadie.But if you're a skilled seducer like I am Says you. Show your work., many fellas will be willing to make sacrifices to learn from the master.Seriously, my eyes can not roll any harder. What sacrifices do they have to make? Offer up a kidney, dispose of a body, what? I need to know. But you have to be good.Oh your a gifted storyteller all right. So that's good.
ddf
Dover Demon View Post
Uh Huh. I hear alot of talk here. Mostly from your butt. I'm coming to Boston and we're going to the bars I want to see the Master at work.

"Nick, and I've told you this for years now, Greg is absolutely right."

Evilscratch