The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old March 30th, 2016   WeirdoLegionnaire is offline   #17
WeirdoLegionnaire
Yeah, that's the ticket!

A lot of stuff looks really good. The only thing that's a definite "no" for me at this point is Detective Comics. Not a fan of Tynion's work at all on the Bat-family so I'll skip that.

But man, a LOT of good stuff. The Super books and Titans seem to have gotten a drastic makeover and that's a good thing.

Old March 30th, 2016   Penny Dreadful is offline   #18
Penny Dreadful
At times dark, never grim

I might give BoP a shot, depending on reviews.

IMO, DC has an uphill battle to win back readers who walked away after the new 52.

On a long, extended break from massive comic-book events.
Old March 30th, 2016   starks is offline   #19
starks
Geoffan

And don't you think they could lose some of those New 52 readers as well? It'll be interesting to see the #'s after a few months to a year.

Old March 30th, 2016   mmk123 is offline   #20
mmk123
Geoffan

I do not think that they will lose any of the Nu52 readers. To me it seems that DC is just adding a lot of pre-52 backstory to the Nu52 characters. If you think about it, the Nu52 is not even 5 years old yet and so much of the backstory of a lot of the Nu52 is still very vague and has yet to be told. So for example, if Greg Rucka wants to incorporate elements from his (or George Perez or Phil Jimenez or John Byrne's, etc) pre Nu52 run into Wonder Woman now he can and it would still fit. Since these characters have only been around for 5 years (in DC Time but it may now be up to 6 or 7) there is a lot that we still do not know about or know what has happened to them in the past. So for the Nu52 fans it will be like finding out something new but for the fans (like myself) who have been reading comics for a few decades we will be like "oh good, that adventure is still part of continuity" or "nice to see that aspect of the character is still being acknowledged".

Old March 30th, 2016   MattDiCarlo is offline   #21
MattDiCarlo
Threat or Menace?

I'm not reading a single DC book right now (I gave it a shot a few months ago again and petered out). But maybe we can give this another shot together when they rebirth. I'll probably look at most things for an issue or two. See what we all think.

It's crazy to think I've got 4500 posts here for something that I'm not tuned into at all anymore. I hope they pull it together this time.

Old March 31st, 2016   darthlucifuge is offline   #22
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

And don't you think they could lose some of those New 52 readers as well? It'll be interesting to see the #'s after a few months to a year.
ddf
starks View Post
The Superman boards are freaking the hell out.
New52 Superman fans are screaming how unfair this is and that Superdad has no right to replace a character they like and etc...

It's funny because Greg Pak's Action Comics had a Superman written pretty close to the attitude of Post Crisis Superman.
He just didn't exist in the same trappings... go figure.

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old March 31st, 2016   WeirdoLegionnaire is offline   #23
WeirdoLegionnaire
Yeah, that's the ticket!

ddf
starks View Post
Eh, I think the people that are left are going to stick around for most things. DCYou was supposed to bring in a lot of new fans, but they tried to appeal to a demographic that doesn't actually *buy* comics - teens and 20-somethings plugged into social media. These people just read synopses online or download pirated copies.

This seems like a much broader approach - take stuff back to the core values, start everything back at #1 (except for 2 key books), and see what happens.

Old March 31st, 2016   fldrmaus is offline   #24
fldrmaus
Saaayy Yooouuuu!!

Still awaiting the announcements of JSA and Legion of Superheroes...

Everything is better with Bacon!!
This Week in Fldrmaus
Old March 31st, 2016   HushedRuin is offline   #25
HushedRuin
of Positive Island.

I think of all the announcements, I'm most curious to see how Rucka's 'Wonder Woman' is gonna go.

half of The Infosiders with Arcademan...

oWt 4 LIFE.
Old March 31st, 2016   starks is offline   #26
starks
Geoffan

New52 Superman fans are screaming how unfair this is and that Superdad has no right to replace a character they like and etc...

It's funny because Greg Pak's Action Comics had a Superman written pretty close to the attitude of Post Crisis Superman.
ddf
darthlucifuge View Post
That's interesting about the fans' reaction.

Of the titles that I'm reading, I'm concerned. Really because I think the titles were already good to read & I'd rather not have any change for creative teams. The Flash, Deathstroke, Sinestro & Red Hood/Arsenal, I'll have to see what changes about them. Guess Sinestro will be folded into a GL title.

Deathstroke I'm more disappointed that we'll be losing Tyler Kirkham on interior art more than anything. His work is outstanding, one of my favorite artists today.

The Flash, very leery about. And Red Hood is getting new characters in it, which by going the description (Bizarro & Artemis), just doesn't sound all that appealing. But will give it a go, since I'm a Jason Todd/Red Hood fan.

Old March 31st, 2016   starks is offline   #27
starks
Geoffan

I think of all the announcements, I'm most curious to see how Rucka's 'Wonder Woman' is gonna go.
ddf
HushedRuin View Post
I've been following the title in trades, but I'll probably check things out via single issues with the new team. I didn't care for Rucka's last run on the title, so I'll have it on a short leash.

Old March 31st, 2016   starks is offline   #28
starks
Geoffan

Still awaiting the announcements of JSA and Legion of Superheroes...
ddf
fldrmaus View Post
JSA?

Old March 31st, 2016   Amentep is offline   #29
Amentep

JSA?
ddf
starks View Post
"DC Chief Creative Officer and the architect of Rebirth Geoff Johns also confirmed that the Legion of Super-Heroes, JSA, New Gods, and Shazam would all have a place in the post-Rebirth universe, but that each of these properties warranted a major story to herald their return, and needed room to breathe and not get lost among today's announcements."

From: http://www.newsarama.com/28578-dc-co...rth-recap.html

Old March 31st, 2016   starks is offline   #30
starks
Geoffan

Interesting. Glad to see that Shazam was mentioned too.

Old April 1st, 2016   Call Me El is offline   #31
Call Me El
Geoffan

ddf
darthlucifuge View Post
I'll be surprised if the New 52 Superman doesn't stay around in some form. As flawed as the execution might have been, the basic concept of a younger, unmarried Superman is not without some merit. Surely there's room in a multiverse for both rather than going from one extreme back to the other.

"I know nothing stays the same
But if you're willing to play the game
It's coming around again" - Carly Simon
Old April 1st, 2016   darthlucifuge is offline   #32
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

I'll be surprised if the New 52 Superman doesn't stay around in some form. As flawed as the execution might have been, the basic concept of a younger, unmarried Superman is not without some merit. Surely there's room in a multiverse for both rather than going from one extreme back to the other.
ddf
Call Me El View Post
I think that would be okay.
As of now he's no longer Clark Kent since that identity has been outed.

I say, they depower him to Golden Age levels like he recently was and keep him in t-shirt and jeans.
Let him be a man of the people who travels the lands helping out anyone who needs a hand.
A beacon of social justice... a folk hero.

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards