The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old February 18th, 2016   Amentep is offline   #33
Amentep

The problem with Flashpoint streamlining continuity is that - like COIE they didn't make it a full reboot because they were afraid of throwing out the thing that was currently working.

And because they did it that way, they didn't immediately have consistent editorial directive of what the new continuity was leading to a lot of "yes this is still in-continuity...no whoops its not, forget that last story, it couldn't have happened that way now".

Old February 18th, 2016   HushedRuin is offline   #34
HushedRuin
of Positive Island.

When DC has confused readers who stayed up to speed through CoIE, Zero Hour, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, One Year Later, etc., they've really redefined the depths to which something can be called "convoluted."
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
I'm going to present an idea that I really believe in: it's kind of those fans' fault.

Fans remember certain "glory years" and call (see also: demand, troll, cry, beg) for a "return to" that. They claim it'll be "the answer", that somehow it'll all make everything better.

Was the 'New Teen Titans' series great? Allegedly, as I've never read it. Those same fans are here from the 80s in the 2010s and demanding that "The Fab 5" reunite because it'll somehow "make everything right". The 'Titans Hunt' series is doing just that, giving fans what they want.

and in doing so, creating the very cluster[edit] of continuity that we frequently chide DC for.

'Titans Hunt' as an idea is INSANELY CONVOLUTED and I've actually come to dislike it more and more. There's no reason that DC can't find a better creative team for 'Teen Titans' to make it viable again, rather than forcing these characters who currently have no history or even friendships because "that's how it's supposed to be!!!" No, that's how you WANT it to be.

If you want streamlined continuity and get it, be happy that you got it. Even if it's not the way you want it, it's streamlined and you can build up from there. Think about how friggin simple Donna Troy's nu-52 origin is before however they retcon her into the Titans again. She was made by the bad guys in 'Wonder Woman' to bring back fear of the gods (or something like that; I didn't read it, but it seemed a good starting point and easy enough to evolve beyond).

half of The Infosiders with Arcademan...

oWt 4 LIFE.
Old February 18th, 2016   TJLamb0518 is offline   #35
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

When DC has confused readers who stayed up to speed through CoIE, Zero Hour, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, One Year Later, etc., they've really redefined the depths to which something can be called "convoluted."

...or maybe we were always a bit confused, but the product was, once upon a time, actually good enough to get us over that hump.
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
Honestly, I never understood the thinking they had going back to CoIE. Love the series, but when they said they felt that the multiverse was "too confusing" for readers, that was a head scratcher. I always understood it and was fine with it. In fact, I'll say I suffered through 9-10 issues of JLoA a year (I know it's a sin, but I HATED Dick Dillons art) just to get to the annual JLA/JSA/alternate Earth of the year team-up. THOSE were the issues that excited me.

As far as the post-Convergence Eath-2 thing goes (which I've only gotten an understanding of from postings and reviews), I'm content knowing that in a true multiverse there are an infinite number of worlds where the JSA I knew and read about are still bopping around doing their thing and that there's nothing TPTB at DC can do about it.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old February 18th, 2016   Mr. Wrong is offline   #36
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Honestly, I never understood the thinking they had going back to CoIE. Love the series, but when they said they felt that the multiverse was "too confusing" for readers, that was a head scratcher. I always understood it and was fine with it. In fact, I'll say I suffered through 9-10 issues of JLoA a year (I know it's a sin, but I HATED Dick Dillons art) just to get to the annual JLA/JSA/alternate Earth of the year team-up. THOSE were the issues that excited me.

As far as the post-Convergence Eath-2 thing goes (which I've only gotten an understanding of from postings and reviews), I'm content knowing that in a true multiverse there are an infinite number of worlds where the JSA I knew and read about are still bopping around doing their thing and that there's nothing TPTB at DC can do about it.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
Yeah, pre-CoIE was not confusing. Sure, there was an infinite multiverse, but Earth-2 was the only alternate Earth to have a regular presence in their publishing line.

Dick Dillin's art in JLA was not to my liking, either. I think it says something when Chuck Patton's art looked dynamic and modern by contrast.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old February 18th, 2016   Mr. Wrong is offline   #37
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

I'm going to present an idea that I really believe in: it's kind of those fans' fault.

Fans remember certain "glory years" and call (see also: demand, troll, cry, beg) for a "return to" that. They claim it'll be "the answer", that somehow it'll all make everything better.

Was the 'New Teen Titans' series great? Allegedly, as I've never read it. Those same fans are here from the 80s in the 2010s and demanding that "The Fab 5" reunite because it'll somehow "make everything right". The 'Titans Hunt' series is doing just that, giving fans what they want.

and in doing so, creating the very cluster[edit] of continuity that we frequently chide DC for.

'Titans Hunt' as an idea is INSANELY CONVOLUTED and I've actually come to dislike it more and more. There's no reason that DC can't find a better creative team for 'Teen Titans' to make it viable again, rather than forcing these characters who currently have no history or even friendships because "that's how it's supposed to be!!!" No, that's how you WANT it to be.

If you want streamlined continuity and get it, be happy that you got it. Even if it's not the way you want it, it's streamlined and you can build up from there. Think about how friggin simple Donna Troy's nu-52 origin is before however they retcon her into the Titans again. She was made by the bad guys in 'Wonder Woman' to bring back fear of the gods (or something like that; I didn't read it, but it seemed a good starting point and easy enough to evolve beyond).
ddf
HushedRuin View Post
I think the OCD fanboy impulse that "EVERYTHING MUST FIT!!!" is one of the biggest problems with comic books. Prior to the rise of fans-turned-writers, the people employed to tell stories with these properties really didn't give a damn if Superman #172 contradicts something from a story in Action Comics #46. And that was a good thing, IMO.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old February 18th, 2016   Amentep is offline   #38
Amentep

ddf
HushedRuin View Post
IMO that has been a problem plaguing the LoSH for years.

Dick Dillin's art in JLA was not to my liking, either. I think it says something when Chuck Patton's art looked dynamic and modern by contrast.
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
OUCH!

I like Dillin on some things (Blackhawks, his earlier Fawcett work), but I've never been a fan of his JLA work.

Old February 18th, 2016   Face Hugger is offline   #39
Face Hugger

Welcome back!

- "Rebirth" seems to be a branding name for the books, rather than an event in their world. Kinda like how all titles had the One Year Later jump in the wake of Infinite Crisis.

- Batman is currently produced by Scott Snyder (writer) & Greg Capullo (penciller). This team is off the book in April, so May's #52 will be the first one without them since "The New 52" began. Well, without Snyder. I think Capullo skipped an issue or two here and there to work ahead.

- That said, 'Batman' has been THE success of nu52. I've read some of Snyder & Capullo's work and will vouch for it as MUST-READ. Really, great stuff.

- Constantine currently has a book (titled 'Constantine'), but I think it's possibly on the chopping block.

- Black Adam got a bit of a push in 'Forever Evil', but he's kinda fallen off my radar since then.

Don't worry. Whatever is coming in 'Rebirth', they'll make a big deal of promoting it and letting you know what's where.
ddf
HushedRuin View Post
Thanks! It looks like I'll hop on Batman after the change, and head to the shop here soon to check out "Forever Evil".

Old February 18th, 2016   Foggy's Pal is offline   #40
Foggy's Pal

From the man himself:
http://community.comicbookresources....to-DC-Universe

Old February 18th, 2016   imarriedsatanII is offline   #41
imarriedsatanII
Horseman of the Calypso

The article you just linked to moved me enough to come to the boards. That in and of itself is a small miracle.

My bad, http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...to-dc-universe

is the article and bit about "Rebirth" I was referring to. Hell, I can't even insert a hyperlink here anymore. It HAS been a minute since I've haunted these ruins.

"Something profound" - Me
Old February 18th, 2016   BrianT is offline   #42
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

Much as I assumed it would be, there was not much substance to the Rebirth announcement. Just title names, a slew of #1s... and then more #1s and some buzz words.

I like the $2.99 price point, though I wish someone would ask how many pages the standard issue will be. 22? 20? Less? Don't like twice monthly shipping. And while I like ACTION and DETECTIVE returning to "original numbering," it should be just that, return to the last number you left off with, don't skip 53 issues.

I'll get the "Rebirth" one-shot because those are quality creators and you can't beat 80 pages for $2.99. DC nailed it there. It's the afterward that concerns me.

Philadelphia Comic Book Examiner
Twitter: PAComicExaminer

Subscribe to my page
Old February 18th, 2016   Face Hugger is offline   #43
Face Hugger

I see a listing of books here for Rebirth: http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...ed-price-point

I see Hellblazer. This makes me extremely happy.

Old February 18th, 2016   Call Me El is offline   #44
Call Me El
Geoffan

I didn't expect an announcement so soon. Not much detail but I'm cautiously optimistic so far. I've already got part of what I wanted with the resumption of some original numbering (I'm fine with counting the intervening issues) and some of the new titles seem intriguing (Superwoman?).
I think the OCD fanboy impulse that "EVERYTHING MUST FIT!!!" is one of the biggest problems with comic books. Prior to the rise of fans-turned-writers, the people employed to tell stories with these properties really didn't give a damn if Superman #172 contradicts something from a story in Action Comics #46. And that was a good thing, IMO.
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
Couldn't agree more.

"I know nothing stays the same
But if you're willing to play the game
It's coming around again" - Carly Simon
Old February 18th, 2016   darthlucifuge is offline   #45
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

Well, here we go again.
As with the New 52, I'll try out a bunch of books and see what sticks.

I do have SOME hope here.
This feels like it's being spearheaded by Geoff only instead of DiDio/Harras.

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old February 19th, 2016   superfriend is offline   #46
superfriend
laughs at comics

they have my attention. cheap books cast a wider net. easier to take a flyer on a book when you're not paying premium prices. the flipside of that is you get what you pay for. frankencomics by bargain talent can be hard to enjoy. with the right editorial guidance, it could work.

Action going back to original numbering means something to me. if they kept up the twice monthly schedule for 2 years, they'll hit Action Comics #1000.

i have some hope. Pete Tomasi used to be an editor and if the rumors are true and he's "showrunning" the Superman books then that might be capable hands because he can be a hell of a writer. fingers crossed.

New52perman and pre-Flashpoint/Convergence Superman are going to meet up and we'll see how that goes. i don't think it's going to be as inclusive as Johns would have me believe. i just hope the right Superman emerges.

"i love this world, but there's something missing..."

no more Wildstorm.

observe everything, admire nothing
Old February 19th, 2016   JRM is offline   #47
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

The sentiments expressed here are exactly it. DC has no goodwill. They've been losing it since, yes, INFINITE CRISIS when they first demonstrated they had no overall plan and that lack of playing has continued over the years, until a steep drop in remaining goodwill last year.

That's why DC needs to go back to the iconic versions that best represent the core of their most popular characters. They need to establish a new baseline that they can gradually build up from. There is no overnight solution here. Put out a core 40 titles and let them establish an audience and a level of consistent quality.
ddf
BrianT View Post
Word - says it all.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old February 19th, 2016   Amentep is offline   #48
Amentep

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...ed-price-point

The books to be put out. Curious about some of the titles that aren't familiar. Curious if Earth 2 is going to go back to classic JSA or not.

Bit disappointed there doesn't appear to be a Legion title despite them appearing in the video (unless they're a part of the unknown titles).

Books that don't seem to be continuing are-
Starfire
Black Canary
Batman/Superman
Superman/Wonder Woman
Midnighter
Secret Six
Doctor Fate
Omega Men
Justice League 3001
Martian Manhunter
Lois And Clark
Catwoman
Robin: Son Of Batman
We Are Robin
Sinestro

Also apparently Prez's last 6 are supposed to start in Oct.