The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old January 28th, 2016   married guy is offline   #17
married guy
The 3 Legged Horseman

Only DCU title I'm buying now is Flash, and even then more out of habit than because of enjoyment.

DC just don't seem to have any real idea on how to bring in new readers. Worse still, they appear to be losing longterm readers too. The Green Lantern books are a bit of a mess, Aquaman has taken a serious nosedive, who the hell knows what's going on with Green Arrow... etc etc.

I don't know what the answer is either, but there has to be some shake-ups soon.

'My name is Wally West. I'm the Flash!'
I'm in a very abusive relationship with DC, and I just keep coming back for more. - Fastest
Old January 28th, 2016   Amentep is offline   #18
Amentep

The difference here is, how many DC books currently have any momentum? Many are already well below cancellation levels and those that aren't are still performing poorly. HARLEY QUINN seems to be the only one with momentum. BATGIRL supposedly does well digitally. What else could they put at risk that isn't already?
ddf
BrianT View Post
Probably not much, but they may reboot and not be any better (or still come out worse).

Only DCU title I'm buying now is Flash, and even then more out of habit than because of enjoyment.

DC just don't seem to have any real idea on how to bring in new readers. Worse still, they appear to be losing longterm readers too. The Green Lantern books are a bit of a mess, Aquaman has taken a serious nosedive, who the hell knows what's going on with Green Arrow... etc etc.

I don't know what the answer is either, but there has to be some shake-ups soon.
ddf
married guy View Post
I'm reading more comics from DC than I was a couple of years ago (I went from Batman 66, Astro City and Coffin Hill to now Batgirl, Black Canary, Gotham Academy, JL3000, Astro City, Batman 66 meets..., Bombshells, Titans Hunt (and maybe the Titans series if I like how this turns out), Prez (if it comes back for the last 6), Twilight Children (ending this month), Gotham By Midnight (ended last month)).

I'd love to read more DC, but most of what they're doing in their "bread & butter" titles doesn't interest me. Which is sad because I love a good Superman, Supergirl and/or Wonder Woman comic. And team books are up my ally so a League or Society book that appealed to me would be a must buy (or dare I mention it, a solid Legion series?).
Last edited by Amentep; January 28th, 2016 at 09:54 AM.

Old January 28th, 2016   BrianT is offline   #19
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

I've kinda tuned out on most DC books at this point. Stuff I got as trades are on the low priority list. I'm more intertested in collections of older stuff like SUICIDE SQUAD and BLACK LIGHTNING, as well as the licensed HE-MAN: ETERNITY WAR.

I started getting GOTHAM BY MIDNIGHT because of Kate Spencer and stayed for the amazing Juan Ferreyra art. I'll be picking up SUICIDE SQUAD starting in Feb. for Ferreyra's art, as well. I just started getting GREEN LANTERN because of Parallax and to see of my theory about it leading into Rebirth is correct. That's about it, so really DC has nothing to lose as far as I'm concerned.

Philadelphia Comic Book Examiner
Twitter: PAComicExaminer

Subscribe to my page
Old January 29th, 2016   Astro@work is offline   #20
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

I've kinda tuned out on most DC books at this point. Stuff I got as trades are on the low priority list. I'm more intertested in collections of older stuff like SUICIDE SQUAD and BLACK LIGHTNING, as well as the licensed HE-MAN: ETERNITY WAR.

I started getting GOTHAM BY MIDNIGHT because of Kate Spencer and stayed for the amazing Juan Ferreyra art. I'll be picking up SUICIDE SQUAD starting in Feb. for Ferreyra's art, as well. I just started getting GREEN LANTERN because of Parallax and to see of my theory about it leading into Rebirth is correct. That's about it, so really DC has nothing to lose as far as I'm concerned.
ddf
BrianT View Post
I'm still picking up a fair amount of DC, but I confess my interest and pull list has been slowly dwindling.

The titles I'm honestly excited to still read are Batman, Batgirl, Justice League, Grayson, Titans Hunt, Lois & Clark, Superman: American Alien

The titles I've been ready to drop for a long while: Teen Titans, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, JL United. (Haven't mainly due to laziness, not because I've had hope they'll get better).

There's many in the middle that I don't hate but that also aren't must reads...that's where I'm hopeful that Rebirth might give them some extra needed "juice": Superman, Action, Flash, Wonder Woman, Superman/WW, Black Canary, Earth 2 Society, Justice League of America, We Are Robin, Aquaman

My list used to be a lot longer, but has slowly shrunk as more recognizable titles and characters have given way to stuff that really didn't click for me at all. (Used to's included Superboy, Supergirl, JL Dark, Hawkman (ugh), Hawk & Dove, Birds of Prey, LSH, etc...)

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old January 29th, 2016   Foggy's Pal is offline   #21
Foggy's Pal

I'm not picking up a ton of books period, but I'm loving my DC books far more than Marvel (my favorite character is Daredevil, so there is that). Robin, Son of Batman, We Are Robin, Grayson, Gotham Academy have been slam dunks every month. Still loving Justice League, Harley Quinn, and JLA. Dropped most Marvel books during Secret Wars- got bored; stories felt uninspired.

Old January 31st, 2016   Call Me El is offline   #22
Call Me El
Geoffan

ddf
married guy View Post
I'm like that with Superman but I'm also picking up Lois & Clark and Batman '66 ... ("my" Batman).

"I know nothing stays the same
But if you're willing to play the game
It's coming around again" - Carly Simon
Old February 2nd, 2016   Penny Dreadful is offline   #23
Penny Dreadful
At times dark, never grim

I flip through the Flash every now and then. I don't like the writing or the art. And Wally needs to start running fast already. Why does this book have four splash pages each issue? Why not have longer scripts instead?

Unless this book gets a killer creative team and new ideas, I see no reason to buy the book again. And honestly? This "rebirth" sounds like more of the same. I'm guessing that it'll be yet another jumping off point for readers.

It's clear that they rebooted the wrong thing five years ago.

On a long, extended break from massive comic-book events.
Old February 2nd, 2016   Amentep is offline   #24
Amentep

Current Rumors (so take it for what it is worth) from Bleeding Cool on Rebirth:

Every comic to be rebirthed will get a "rebirth" issue prior to a new #1

Batman/Superman, Batman/Wonderwoman, Starfire, Grayson, Black Canary, Doctor Fate, Midnighter cancelled.

Peter Tomasi to write relaunched Superman

New Titles: The Super Man, New Green Lantern, Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corp.

New Justice Society book; JSA is brought forward to present as young mystery men/women not elder statesmen.

Hub for BC rumors: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/02/...bleeding-cool/

Old February 2nd, 2016   Mr. Wrong is offline   #25
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

New Justice Society book; JSA is brought forward to present
ddf
Amentep View Post
The whole JSA gets to be "fish out of water" a la Capt. America.
Hmmm.
I will keep an open mind. Not exactly feeling hopeful, but DC could always surprise me, I suppose.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old February 2nd, 2016   Astro@work is offline   #26
[email protected]

Current Rumors (so take it for what it is worth) from Bleeding Cool on Rebirth:

Every comic to be rebirthed will get a "rebirth" issue prior to a new #1

Batman/Superman, Batman/Wonderwoman, Starfire, Grayson, Black Canary, Doctor Fate, Midnighter cancelled.

Peter Tomasi to write relaunched Superman

New Titles: The Super Man, New Green Lantern, Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corp.

New Justice Society book; JSA is brought forward to present as young mystery men/women not elder statesmen.

Hub for BC rumors: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/02/...bleeding-cool/
ddf
Amentep View Post
I've been bummed about the demise of Grayson ever since I saw Seeley & King were leaving the title. My God have they been knocking it out of the park, and in a way I don't think another writer could capture. But I'm ok if he goes back to being Nightwing in the care of different writers.

Intrigued by the new premise for JSA. This would allow the characters to have World War II ties, while at the same time being younger. The inherent ageism is why every even-numbered DC regime has come in and tried to kill them off one way or another. Additionally, the Earth 2 concept was run into the ground with the destruction of Earth 2, so not sure how much longer they can sustain that title. (Maybe in a few years they could go back to the concept once they've rebuilt on the new Earth).

I'm the most curious what will become of the Titans franchise. I would really really really like to see a Titans ongoing with Dick/Roy/Donna/Garth & company. If they'd just power up Wally we could have the original fab 5 with a new twist.

Old February 2nd, 2016   Amentep is offline   #27
Amentep

I'm the most curious what will become of the Titans franchise. I would really really really like to see a Titans ongoing with Dick/Roy/Donna/Garth & company. If they'd just power up Wally we could have the original fab 5 with a new twist.
ddf
I believe they already announced a Titans title with Abnett writing spinning out of Titan's Hunt.

BC is rumoring that there will also be a new Teen Titans team led by Damian Wayne.

Old February 2nd, 2016   Astro@work is offline   #28
[email protected]

I believe they already announced a Titans title with Abnett writing spinning out of Titan's Hunt.

BC is rumoring that there will also be a new Teen Titans team led by Damian Wayne.
ddf
Amentep View Post
DC would be very smart if they did a new "New Teen Titans", since that hasn't occured yet in the DCnU. All the players are on the canvas one way or another..

Starfire, Beast Boy, Raven (please,God, get her out of the birdsuit), Damien as Robin, and Cassie as Wonder Girl. Even Terra is out there. An entire generation of kids has grown up on the cartoon, including my nieces/nephews and Godsons.

All that said, based on recent history I'm more excited about a Titans ongoing by Abnett.

Old February 2nd, 2016   Amentep is offline   #29
Amentep

^Speaking of which, I think their rumour on the cancellation of Starfire was that she was moving to a Titans book.

Would make sense to make a New Teen Titans as you say.

Old February 2nd, 2016   Penny Dreadful is offline   #30
Penny Dreadful
At times dark, never grim

I always figured that the DCYou titles wouldn't make it past 12 issues. I'm not surprised to see them get the chop. DC put no effort into marketing those books.

I'd love a book with Dick, Donna, Wally, Garth, and Roy. I just don't trust the current management with it.

On a long, extended break from massive comic-book events.
Old February 2nd, 2016   Amentep is offline   #31
Amentep

I've liked enough of Abnett's writing that I'm sold to try a Titans title under him. Certainly I've enjoyed Titan's Hunt more than I did the Teen Titans of the New 52 (which admittedly I dropped not long after the second year started, IIRC, so can't really speak to recent iterations of the title).

Old February 2nd, 2016   superfriend is offline   #32
superfriend
laughs at comics

how bout another Trinity book?

observe everything, admire nothing