The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old November 13th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #1
Amentep

Default Clean Room (Vertigo)

Clean Room #1 was, IMO, a bit of a mess. It feels to me like a classic case of starting a story too early; it was ~24 pages of setup but no real hook. I need a hook to make me want to stay - an interesting character (the journalist doesn't have much to hook into other than she's trying to understand why her boyfriend killed himself) and the writer/cult leader has little character. The plot - sort of a what-if some cultish new-age pseudo religion made some connection between our world and a spirit world (or, if you prefer, something like Scientology's Body Thetans).

But there's not enough understanding to make the plot interesting - is the cult leader a good or bad figure? Why should I care? I'm not really given any of that in this first issue and I can't help but feel somewhat uninterested to continue and find out.

Old November 19th, 2015   starks is offline   #2
starks
Geoffan

Is this written by Gail Simone?