The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old August 17th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #1
Amentep

Default Bombshells

Its sometimes hard to get a handle on alternate history titles quickly because with only 24ish pages there's many questions left over about why the world is the way it is.

I'm not really sold on this title yet - there's a lot of ground building but not a lot of certainty on what this world is or what these characters mean to one another yet. There seems - on the surface - a lot of the modern world in this 1940s era, so understanding why that is and yet its still 1940s will be key, I think.

But I'm a sucker for the time period and a good alternate history title, so I'm willing to give a few issues to see if what is here develops in a way I like.

Old August 17th, 2015   ronaldj is offline   #2
ronaldj
Supreme Geoffan

I read number one off to an ok start could be good we shall see

One day I'll be done with this, but for now, once more into the fray. Thom
Old August 18th, 2015   mego joe is offline   #3
mego joe
Geoffan

Liked issue #1 but it didn't quite hit all the notes I was hoping for. Also, the lesbian Batwoman seems very out of place for the time period.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old August 19th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #4
Amentep

Well, I don't think its out of place (certainly there were lesbians in WWII era and before).

The alternate history isn't clear enough (at this point) to understand how to interpret it with its proper context (in the real world, the relationship would be understated and all but unknown publicly outside of a close inner circle; Sawyer and Kane in this are prominent enough figures that they'd be under additional scrutiny - but does this altered history care anymore about sexual identity?)

Old August 19th, 2015   Scott Mateo is offline   #5
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

They've added Bombshells to DC Universe Online as well.

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old September 15th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #6
Amentep

Liked parts of Issue 2; other parts not as much. Still feels uneven but committed to getting the next issue. Maybe it'll feel more complete when we're not introducing characters left and right.

Old November 13th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #7
Amentep

Issue 3 was probably stronger; still a lot of characters to juggle and get to the point.

Almost wish they'd started with the group together rather than this slow build; feels like the story hasn't quite started yet (and we still have loads of lingering questions about the Alternate Universe that are unanswered).

Multiple artists were jarring though, particularly with such disparate styles.

Old November 23rd, 2015   PyroTwilight is offline   #8
PyroTwilight
Supreme Geoffan

I've been having fun.

Perhaps what amused me the most is seeing Dr. Light/Kimiyo on the team given this is WWII and she's Japanese. So I'm hoping her part is expanded on somehow.

Big Barda's inclusion was surprising too. I mean she's a New God after all.

The biggest thing that was out there to me so far was Stargirl and Supergirl being foster sisters. That took me by surprise. Though it was obvious after considering who Kourtney might be.

But I can't help but feel there's too much going on in the one book to keep it coherent. Something E-2 had an issue with and never really fixed either.

But overall I'm just picking it up to see where it might go. It's been a fun ride so far.

Old November 25th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #9
Amentep

Read the 4th issue and I felt almost like I'd missed an issue with the Wonder Woman story.

But I also feel like its finally coming together as well partially because they didn't have to introduce so many characters. Now if they can get them all - more or less - into one place...

I was also curious about Dr. Light although they may be setting up the idea that she's an American born Japanese and still helping the War Effort.

Old January 13th, 2016   PyroTwilight is offline   #10
PyroTwilight
Supreme Geoffan

Having recently read issues 7 and 8 I have to admit they were a ton of fun.

Though I am a little bothered that the entirety of the story has essentially been set up to make Hitler and the actual German forces side villains to the Tenebrae. Maybe undersatandable given the fantastical elements but a bit odd to do in what is otherwise a WWII based story.

Issue 7's Batgirls (and later Batboys) story was fun but man am I having difficulty telling who's who in the group. I did like the little cameo by Felicity Smoak though, that was a cute touch. I wonder if she'll be a part of the series down the line or if she was just a cameo.

Old January 13th, 2016   Amentep is offline   #11
Amentep

Weird, I really thought I'd replied to this recently.

I liked 7 as well, it was fun - a nice breather story from the main stuff going on. I wasn't sure on everyone in the group either, but I'm okay with that. I got enough to understand the story, and that was enough for me.

Old January 14th, 2016   ronaldj is offline   #12
ronaldj
Supreme Geoffan

I read 7 yesterday and like was said enjoyed but kind of hard to figure out who each one was....story overall a 8+.....art was good a 8+ as well....now to go back and read the last three

One day I'll be done with this, but for now, once more into the fray. Thom
Old January 18th, 2016   Astro@work is offline   #13
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

Still enjoying this series. It's got a brightness and optimism to it that I miss in many of the other DC books (noteable exception: Batgirl). Liked the Batgirls issue, and have enjoyed the Supergirl/Stargirl plotline.

I know there is a lot of world building going on so far, but anxious for the threads to come together so the individual stories aren't so seperate from each other.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old January 20th, 2016   Amentep is offline   #14
Amentep

Yeah, that's the only thing that's nagging at me - I want to the story threads to finally pull together!

Old January 25th, 2016   Amentep is offline   #15
Amentep

Having read #8 I'm guessing this Tenebrae plot is going to pull everyone together.

Old January 25th, 2016   PyroTwilight is offline   #16
PyroTwilight
Supreme Geoffan

Having read #8 I'm guessing this Tenebrae plot is going to pull everyone together.
ddf
Amentep View Post
That has been the assumption I'd argue. Now to see HOW it comes to pass as everybody is still rather disparate.