The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old July 27th, 2015   Jorge Galvan is offline   #17
Jorge Galvan
Supporters

Jorge Galvan,

Re-read the Bat-Mite issue. Knew he wouldn't die or anything, so no big deal. And for who he ends up with, just moving the story along more than anything.
ddf
starks View Post

OOKKAAAYYY is you think so.

Old July 31st, 2015   flashsuper is offline   #18
flashsuper
My real name is Mike

The only one I am getting is Detective Comics. I don't remember the number, but it was about the first issue containing GordonBats. I like the creative team, was a big fan of their Flash and am looking forward to the new creator, Tomasi I think it is?

I have had a rebirth.
Old August 3rd, 2015   starks is offline   #19
starks
Geoffan

I haven't read Detective. Might have to give it a flip through in the store & see how it looks. Just not a fan of GordonBats. Looks like a robotic bunny.

Old August 4th, 2015   flashsuper is offline   #20
flashsuper
My real name is Mike

I haven't read Detective. Might have to give it a flip through in the store & see how it looks. Just not a fan of GordonBats. Looks like a robotic bunny.
ddf
starks View Post
It does, but when he takes the suit off he is in a regular costume.

I have had a rebirth.
Old August 31st, 2015   starks is offline   #21
starks
Geoffan

Haven't been at the LCS for a couple of weeks, and coupled with vacation, by the time I stopped by the store I had a decent sized stack awaiting. Here's what I've read thus far:

Justice League #43: Love everything about this title. It’s been an awesome storyline, fantastic art.

Martian Manhunter #3: Same as above. It’s been one heck of a start. The storytelling is really good.

Aquaman #43: Okay, this issue just turned the page. It made things a heck of a lot clearer of what’s been going on. The writing was on point. Not a big fan of the art, but I can live with it. Really like the inclusion of Poseidon in the title. I’m feeling really good about this title now. I was a bit on the fence with it.

Cyborg #2: This issue jumped to so many places, had so much going on, and not much of it made a lot of sense. A very scattershot of ideas is going on in this title. This title needs to be grounded or it won’t last much longer. At least not in my pull anyway.

Red Hood / Arsenal #3: What a difference this title has been from its earlier incarnation. Take out the mysticism, take out the space opera, take out Starfire & you get a really good title. The lettering/editing wasn’t up to snuff in this issue, as there were one too many errors, but the story was good nonetheless.

Batman Beyond #3: Good story here. I probably sound like a broken record. But DC is bringing the goods with a good number of their titles for me.

Deathstroke Annual #1: This is a very good continuation of the storyline that finds Slade on Paradise Island with Wonder Woman. The writing team of Tony Daniel & James Bonny are knocking it out of the park. And I’ve been a fan of Tyler Kirkham’s art since his work on Green Lantern. Fantastic art.

Deathstroke #9: Continues the story from the annual with a hefty dose of Superman added to the mix. Superman is going to come off as a stalker pretty soon, but I digress. Again, good story & Eduardo Pansica’s art is very good.

I think this is one of the things that draws me more to DC titles as opposed to Marvel, DC’s art teams for a lot of their titles are just superior.

Flash Annual: Everything’s good here. Seeing Zoom assemble a team throughout history, seeing how he manipulated his own members by issue’s end. I started getting this title not too long ago, and I’m really digging it.

Old September 2nd, 2015   Astro@work is offline   #22
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

Haven't been at the LCS for a couple of weeks, and coupled with vacation, by the time I stopped by the store I had a decent sized stack awaiting. Here's what I've read thus far:

Justice League #43: Love everything about this title. It’s been an awesome storyline, fantastic art.

Aquaman #43: Okay, this issue just turned the page. It made things a heck of a lot clearer of what’s been going on. The writing was on point. Not a big fan of the art, but I can live with it. Really like the inclusion of Poseidon in the title. I’m feeling really good about this title now. I was a bit on the fence with it.

Flash Annual: Everything’s good here. Seeing Zoom assemble a team throughout history, seeing how he manipulated his own members by issue’s end. I started getting this title not too long ago, and I’m really digging it.
ddf
starks View Post
100% agreed on all 3 of the above. JL has been knocking it out of the park for a while.

Regarding Aquaman, the one thing that is driving me virtually insane is that they have been using Garth for 2 issues now...and have yet to call him by name! He is running around with the other fish-baddies, ALL of whom have been clearly identified. Then you get to Garth and they coyly avoid giving him a name of any kind. Still not enamored with the art, but I can live with it.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old September 4th, 2015   starks is offline   #23
starks
Geoffan

I'm guessing they're doing that because of the upcoming Titans Hunt maxiseries.

Old September 8th, 2015   Astro@work is offline   #24
[email protected]

Caught up on a lot of my reading over the weekend.

I do have to say I feel like the Superman books have turned a corner with the new storyline. I was initially very skeptical of the identity reveal...my biggest complaint about the nu52 Superman had been the lack of humanity and I was afraid this would strip that much more of it away. Instead, it's put more Clark in Supes and had the opposite effect. His relationships with Diana, Lois, Jimmy, Lana have been strengthened by all of this and so has his character.

I'm also lightening up to the new run on Wonder Woman. Still not as great as the Azzarello run, but it's also not ignoring important aspects of that run either. Similarly, while I HATED the initial introduction of Donna as a murder weapon, the attempts to redeem her seem to be going somewhere. I'm also hopeful that the upcoming Titans Hunt may shed some additional light on her background such that she's not just a bloodthirsty gob of clay. Feeling a little more optimistic now.

The Batgirl annual was also pure genius as far as I'm concerned. Best one & done I've read in a longtime.

Old September 10th, 2015   starks is offline   #25
starks
Geoffan

I follow WW in trades, so I'll always be behind on that title.

Old September 10th, 2015   starks is offline   #26
starks
Geoffan

The rest of the pile:

The Flash #43: Continuing from the Annual, Barry encounters his Dad, the the team Zoom assembles by this issue's end. Really enjoying this title.

Lobo #9: Mistakenly picked this up, as I thought it had the Sinestro storyline (see an image of him at the end however). This was really good nonetheless, as Lobo finds himself under the control of someone he's supposed to kill. Cullen Bunn & Frank Barbiere have a good handle on the character. I may add this to my pull.

Lobo Annual #1: Got this because of the inclusion of Sinestro, whose title I'm presently getting. Lobo has a contract to take out Sinestro, has to go up against the Corps. before he does so. Everything, story & art, was really well done. I was really impressed.

Bizarro #3: It was okay. Bizarro & Jimmy go West. Nice enough story. I'm thinking six issues may be too long for this particular duo. Probably should've ended it at three.

Bat-Mite #3: Again, nice story, some fun moments. Kind of the same feeling as above.

The Omega Men #3: Three issues in, and I just don't know what the point of this title is. Giving it one more issue.

Sinestro #9: Sinestro gets a new recruit, a new partner for his daughter Soranik. There's a plan in place here, it'll be interesting to see where this title is going. Robson Rocha's art is really good for this title. This issue felt like a good jumping on point for anyone who hasn't been reading it on a regular basis.

Old September 21st, 2015   starks is offline   #27
starks
Geoffan

Not a lot of good this time around.

Lobo #10: Sinestroc has hired Lobo to kill other Lanterns. He first started with Indigo during this issue, ended with Red.

I think the Annual & previous issue were better stories, but this issue wasn't bad. A shame though, as this title has been scheduled for cancellation by DC.

Martian Manhunter #4: Manhunter is showing more of his identities, with the White Martains in pursuit.

This issue fell flat for me. I think writer Rob Williams needs to move this arc along a little quicker.

Bat-mite #4 & Bizarro #4:: Combined because I had the same reaction to both. Too much exposition with very little of interest coming from either of them.

I'm pulling the plug on both. Told my LCS that I'm not interested in the last two issues for each.

Batman Beyond #4: Tim brought Eye to Gotham, destruction ensues. Inque joins up with the good guys, while Tim gets a new suit at the issue's end.

Bit of a yawner for me to be honest.

Omega Men #4: Another soon-to-be-cancelled comic. Don't have the whole story what's going on yet four issues in. Not surprised this is on the chopping block frankly.

Red Hood / Arsenal #4: Roy & Jason go to Gotham because they figured Underbelly started there, but run into the new Batman, aka Jim Gordon. Fight ensues. Decent issue.

Old September 21st, 2015   starks is offline   #28
starks
Geoffan

Looks like Omega Men got a reprieve, DC is giving it 12-issues.

Old October 5th, 2015   starks is offline   #29
starks
Geoffan

Justice League #44: Batman & GL getting answers of who Anti-Monitor is/was, while Anti-Monitor & Darkseid duke it out, with the last page being a doozy. Great stuff here.

The Flash #44: Flash goes up against Zoom & his crew with explosive results. This is another good title. Fun to see how much the show is influencing things.

Deathstroke #10: Wonder Woman & Superman stop fighting Deathstroke so they can focus on the Amazons & Themyscira, while Deathstroke goes one-on-one against Lapetus, with eye-popping results. Interesting end to this arc.

Sinestro #15: Lobo guest stars as he's still on his mission from Sinestro to either kill or bring in Lanterns. He meets up with Blue Lantern Saint Walker in this issue, who Sinestro has plans for. This title is really hitting its stride.

Hopefully this title continues as I don't think the sales are all too stellar, because it's starting to get really good now.

Aquaman #44: As the waterfall flows, so does another Days of Our Lives. This title just turned into a soap opera. Where's it going now? Can't be any worse than this issue.

Bunn is killing it on the Sinestro title, while he's just killing this one. DC needs to change things up here.

Old October 9th, 2015   Astro@work is offline   #30
[email protected]

]Justice League #44: This arc is knocking it out of the park. I had heard there was a surprizing death at the end of the ish...and still didn't anticpate who it would be. Liking the JL members taking on the New God roles more than I thought I would (but also hoping that's short term). Also have to say I'm curious now about learning more of the Anti-Monitor's origins.

The Flash #44:
This has also been a solid run, and liking the use of Henry Allen in the story. I really enjoy the synergy here between the comic and the series...they both complement each other without it feeling forced. Wish Green Arrow could do the same thing.

Aquaman #44
I actually liked the development here, as it opened up a whole lot of questions that will lead to great stories, such as "where's Mera".
Overall enjoying the title, but 2 things are bugging me:
1)don't care much for the art; Aquaman's world is grandiose and you need a very detail oriented type of artist on the book, like a Reis or Van Sciver or Jiminez.
2) I've hated since day 1 that Mera is Queen but not Arthur's wife. It feels like DC got too wrapped up in their own house rules to just do the right thing and have them be married. Every single time they address Mera as Queen-but-not-wife I immediately think "well that's stupid". They need to rectify this by having a royal wedding by #50 and make it the first DC marriage.

Grayson #?
This is really DC's sleeper hit if you ask me. Great story, great combo of art & story, and great characterization. Now that his secret is out of the bag, I hope they don't drop the spy angle too quickly. The only thing I was confused about was whether I was supposed to know who Agent Zero was when she revealed herself. (I didn't). It came across the same as when Marvel introduced Angela, and my response was "no idea who that is".
Last edited by [email protected]; October 9th, 2015 at 02:45 PM.

Old October 12th, 2015   starks is offline   #31
starks
Geoffan

]Aquaman #44
I actually liked the development here, as it opened up a whole lot of questions that will lead to great stories, such as "where's Mera".
Overall enjoying the title, but 2 things are bugging me:
1)don't care much for the art; Aquaman's world is grandiose and you need a very detail oriented type of artist on the book, like a Reis or Van Sciver or Jiminez.
2) I've hated since day 1 that Mera is Queen but not Arthur's wife. It feels like DC got too wrapped up in their own house rules to just do the right thing and have them be married. Every single time they address Mera as Queen-but-not-wife I immediately think "well that's stupid". They need to rectify this by having a royal wedding by #50 and make it the first DC marriage.
ddf
We saw in the previous issue that she was her sister's prisoner.

I agree with the art comment, it's rather bad. I'd like to see a change there as well.

Regarding the wife thing, I think that change was done during Bunn's time on the title. I don't recall them not being husband & wife prior. I'd need to go back and reread the comics to be sure though.

Old October 12th, 2015   starks is offline   #32
starks
Geoffan

]Grayson #?
This is really DC's sleeper hit if you ask me. Great story, great combo of art & story, and great characterization. Now that his secret is out of the bag, I hope they don't drop the spy angle too quickly. The only thing I was confused about was whether I was supposed to know who Agent Zero was when she revealed herself. (I didn't). It came across the same as when Marvel introduced Angela, and my response was "no idea who that is".
ddf
I tried this title out, but just got bored with it.