The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old May 11th, 2005   Wreckognize is offline   #1
Wreckognize
Neo Geoffan

Default Christos Gage and Steve Cummings = GREEN ARROW done right...

First, let me just say that I am not a Judd Winick basher. I like some of what Judd writes in the OUTSIDERS series. I was even more than optimistic when I found out that Judd was going to be the ongoing writer for GREEN ARROW. However, he just has not lived up to expectations on the GREEN ARROW series. Perhaps if there was a good artist associated with this series I could do well to tolerate the flat storytelling of Judd Winick, but the horrid artwork as of late has just been the straw to break the camel's back. Judd Winick is not a bad writer, and his writing on the GREEN ARROW series is okay, but I want to be excited again about Green Arrow in his own series rather than the guest-appearances he makes in other books. Unfortunately, I have not been interested about a GA storyarc since STRAIGHT SHOOTER, and the only reason I liked that storyarc so much is due to the introduction of the deadly Constantine Drakon. The showcase issue between Roy Harper and Connor Hawke was very enjoyable as well, but other than that the series has pretty much been flat and non-appealing. It is not a bad series, but it is not a good series, and with the level of competition that is out there at Marvel Comics and within DC Comics -- a 2nd-tier character such as Green Arrow needs to always hit the ground running, especially as hot as his stock is right now (IDENTITY CRISIS & INFINITE CRISIS-JLA-BATMAN subplots). Again, while Judd Winick may have quite an adept understanding of the characterizations of the Team Arrow family, pitting them against extremely lame villains such as the Duke of Oil, Brick (not a very lame villain, but we have seen his type before), and the Riddler (who could be very cool if characterized the way he is going to be in the Alex Ross version of the LEGION OF DOOM) is not going to reel in new readers or keep the old school, loyal readers interested for very long. Green Arrow (Oliver Queen) is my favorite comic book character, so I am going to stick around for the long haul, but I just want to be excited about this series again, and I think that combination of Christos Gage and Steve Cummings is the creative team that GREEN ARROW needs.

Christos Gage did an awesome job with Green Arrow (Oliver) going up against Deadshot in the DEADSHOT miniseries. Matter of fact, Gage did a good job on the entire miniseries. PERIOD. Christos Gage has shown that he has a grasp on the character of Oliver Queen, and I am sure that he would do the Connor Hawke fandom proud, as well.

As for the art, Steve Cummings has made a such believer out of me with the DEADSHOT miniseries that he is one of my ideal artist for the GREEN ARROW series. I do not mean to offend Tommy Fowler, but if I never see his art again in the pages of GA (or any of my other favorite books) I will be a very happy man. TPTB made the wise move of getting Joe Bennett (my favorite comic artist) on HAWKMAN (one of my favorite comic book heroes and books), and I was hoping that TPTB would make an attempt to lure Peter Snejbjerg (my other favorite comic artist) on GREE ARROW, but it seems that is unlikely; however, if TPTB are able to get the artistic talents of Steve Cummings on GREEN ARROW I will do just as big a happy dance as I would have done for Peter Snejbjerg, Scott Kolins, Eduardo Risso, or Rags Morales (in addition to Bennett, my Top 5 favorite artist in comics). Steve Cummings has definitely bulldozed his way onto my Top 10 list of favorite comic book artists. Steve Cummings art for the DEADSHOT miniseries was just as sharp as the writing, and he (as well as the inker - I will have to get his name) would be more of a fitting replacement for the talented art team of Hester and Parks.

"I hope that was worth it Batman...I am about to give you ten minutes that you are never going to forget." -- Hawkman
Old May 11th, 2005   PMH is offline   #2
PMH
Freedom Fighter

I don't know, I have mixed feelings about changing the writers. I really like Judd's run on GA. However issue 50 was a big dissappointment nothing really happened that hasn't happened before. I guess I wouldn't mind if Judd stayed on the book but if he left I would like to see Gage on the book because he did a great Green Arrow! Maybe the both of them could write it together!

However I would love to see Steve Cummings as the artist! I gave Fowler a chance but his art just does not work for the book. He had to have drawn one of the wost Riddlers ever! I am all for a new artist.

"I don't imagine there will be any X-Men similarities. Except when Damage starts smoking cigars and calling everyone "Bub."

SNIKT!" -Matt Sturges
Old May 11th, 2005   BrianT is offline   #3
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

I wish Winick's Green Arrow (and Outsiders) was nearly as good as his Batman.

I'd jump at the chance to have Gage on just about any book.

Philadelphia Comic Book Examiner
Twitter: PAComicExaminer

Subscribe to my page
Old May 11th, 2005   Atom is offline   #4
Atom
Gone. Gone. Gone.

At this point, my 11 year old could draw it better and my 13 year old could write it better. ANYONE would be better than that awful stuff they peddled with #49 and #50!

Webmaster of the Former Unofficial Homepage of the Atom - all good things must come to an end...
Old May 11th, 2005   James D. is offline   #5
James D.
Geoffan

I dug Gage's Deadshot but I doubt that he can deliver as consistently as Winnick.

Old May 11th, 2005   Dave Williams is offline   #6
Dave Williams
a.k.a Mysterio's Helmet

I've got all the conifdence in Christos to deliver the goods monthly. The guy needs some space to shine and Green Arrow is as perfect a place as any. Judd's doing the Bat. Let someone else do some good work on another of his titles. No harm in that. I honestly believe that writers can be stretched out too thin *cough* Bendis *cough* and maybe Judd can only handle a couple of books. Why not branch out and give good writers a chance to shine? I think it's good business practice.

Old May 12th, 2005   married guy is offline   #7
married guy
The 3 Legged Horseman

Why not?
I'm with the genral concensus that Judd has outstayed his welcome with Ollie.
At the present Green Arrow is a month to month proposition for me. I love the characters dearly, but man, DC are making it hard for me at the moment.
The artwork, while not terrible, isn't really suitable for the title, and Winick is more miss than hit.
His Connor & Roy issue was alright, and Drakon is a great addition to Ollie's rogues, but other than that it's been a very mediocre run. Not bad at all, but amazingly pedestrian.
It's time for a change.

'My name is Wally West. I'm the Flash!'
I'm in a very abusive relationship with DC, and I just keep coming back for more. - Fastest
Old May 12th, 2005   married guy is offline   #8
married guy
The 3 Legged Horseman

What's Scott McCullar doing these days?

I'm in a very abusive relationship with DC, and I just keep coming back for more. - Fastest
Old May 12th, 2005   The Werle is offline   #9
The Werle
Geoffan

Based off of Deadshot I think that would be a terrific new team for Green Arrow. Anything to get Winick away from any character's with Green in their title.

Winick should write Barry Ween exclusively. Then he and I can go back to being on wonderful terms.

Think for yourself and question authority.

My name is Peter Werle. Please print it in a comic.
Old May 12th, 2005   Scott Mateo is offline   #10
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

What's Scott McCullar doing these days?
ddf
married guy
Check out www.shootingstarcomics.com

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old May 12th, 2005   ConnorFan is offline   #11
ConnorFan
aka Alex Violette

I could totally see Gage doing very well with Ollie, and Cummings while no hester would do pretty well imo. I think part of the problem with Winick is that I dont think he wants to write Olliver, the more I read from him the less I get the impression that he wants to get down to what makes Ollie tick. He keeps adding other characters as a way to compensate. Now to be very clear, I am not a fan of OJ BUT right is right and I'd rather see a good book that focuses on Ollie maybe clears up some of the stuff that kills the character for me, then have an Outsiders/Batman/Team Arrow and kitchen sink approach.

Ideally, I'd like to see Gage or someone like him work on Ollie while we see anohter book by someone like Simone writing Connor and Mia, with competant artist! Cummings for Ollie, and how about Dale Eagleshram for Connor and Mia?

Old May 12th, 2005   married guy is offline   #12
married guy
The 3 Legged Horseman

Check out www.shootingstarcomics.com
ddf
Scott Mateo
Thanks!

Old May 12th, 2005   Chris Hansbrough is offline   #13
Chris Hansbrough
Scion of Mogo

Me the guy that buys everything with Green arrow in it has officially dropped this from his pull list and will use one word to describe this issue.....nail...coffin. Winick has finally pissed me off to no end and Fowler just makes it worse. With me dropping the title that leaves it pretty empty and I can't wait to see the massive drop in sales once the fowler numbers really start to show........damn you DC I'm not buying anything Winick is remotely involved in ever again after this.....I could go on for hours but really I prefer my warning free status.....but seriously....I'm peeved to no end by this issue that completely ruined new comi9c day for me.....I think I may be done with DC

EIC - Nerdstock Comics
Webhost - Plastikitty

X-Box Live : Scion of Mogo
PSN : Scion_of_Mogo
Steam : Scion_of_Mogo
Old May 12th, 2005   franksmapdi is offline   #14
franksmapdi
Don't be that guy!

I'm pleased with the GA story but, wow, this art is HORRIBLE! The fall is even worse after having Hester!

Old May 12th, 2005   KevinTBrown is offline   #15
KevinTBrown
My give a damn's busted

I gave Fowler 2 issues to TRY to impress me.... I wish I had that money back now. The book is barely worthy of laying on the bottom of a birdcage.

DC needs to wake up and change the art team on this book NOW... Hell, I'd almost want to have Rob Liefeld on this book. (Did I just say that..?? )

Anyway, I agree with the original comment, having Gage and Cummings on this title would bring me back.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

KTB is right...
ddf
Mackaybear