The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old May 18th, 2007   Jake1823 is offline   #705
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

This show. LOL.

The season finales are always all over the place. "Martian Manhunter" appears out of nowhere supposedly looking after Clark for 20 years, only from a distance.. huh? Lionel tries to save Clark by trapping Lana into a loveless marriage with his son... huh? Chloe tracked down Lois to that locataion... how? Security guy with a gun... and a Crocadile Dundee knife? Lana wants to get away from the Luthors, so she CALLS THEM to tell them she's leaving.... why? I know people like the show, but the writing is sloppy as hell.
ddf
Bill Walko View Post
Have to disagree with some of these:

-MM watching Clark for a while didn't seem so weird. Especially he wants to keep out of Clark's way. That really didn't that bad.

-Lionel needed the info, and he knew Lex was lax when it came to Lana. Lionel would never be able to infiltrate Lex's databases and stuff himself.

-Chloe's tracked someone via cellphone before, hasn't she?

-Seems like Lionel was helping Lana. This one was kinda weird, I must admit.

I rather enjoyed that fence with the chains that both Lois and Chloe slipped through with ease. Ah, SMALLVILLE and all its lax security employees!

But perhaps my favorite bit was when Clark tells Lana he's an alien and it takes her 5 seconds to accept it. And Dumbass waited 6 years to tell her! Duh. That reduced 6 years of angst to ... nothing. Funny!
ddf
Agreed and agreed. Clark questioned how she found out about the kryptonite, but what about how she knew about his powers? He just shrugged that off!

Anyway, I thought it was cool, although I liked last years finale better. Still, Bizarro...awesome.

And I think you all are wrong about the deaths. I think it's SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
Lionel. He was under a pipe and knocked senseless by Bizarro. The dam looked like it was flooding. Lionel = goner.

Where is everybody?
Old May 19th, 2007   God-Man is offline   #706
God-Man
God-Man Don't Socialize

And I think you all are wrong about the deaths. I think it's SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
Lionel. He was under a pipe and knocked senseless by Bizarro. The dam looked like it was flooding. Lionel = goner.

ddf
Jake1823 View Post
I think his death is essential to Lex becoming the Lex everyone knows. However, I don't think he'll be dead next year. I mean, the dude survived being thrown into the windshield of a car at 100MPH last year. Still don't know how he survived that, btw.

Old May 19th, 2007   Wally West888 is offline   #707
Wally West888
Green Lantern's Light

I liked the episode alot, but it will go down if SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
Lana is alive

also I can't wait for next season to the continuation of the fight.

A Green Lantern Overcomes Fear Everytime They Face It!-Hal Jordan-Green Lantern

Don't Call Me Superman...Call Me Superboy!-Conner Kent-Superboy
Old May 19th, 2007   jafabian is offline   #708
jafabian
Iím not dead.

John Glover is slated to return next season, so Lionel isn't dead. However, I do believe that Lionel will die at some point. I don't like Annette O'Toole not returning, unless that was her choice. Martha was seriously under utilized this season.

I agree Lana calling Lionel is a bit "sloppy" to a degree. I would have preferred a subtle little hint that she's manipulating events. However, the writers really didn't reveal much on the machinations involved in Lana marrying Lex either so that seems to be their style. I also don't believe Lionel for a minute that he's doing all this for Clark's benefit but again it would help if the writers would drop a clue here and there showing that Lionel is scheming here. Kinda reminds me of the Clone Saga in Spider-Man. Sometimes things can drag out TOO much.

Quite frankly though, I don't view the 20 year old girl-next-door from Smallville, Kansas being able to outwit the 50 year old founder of an international conglomerate like LuthorCorp. IMO, that's a stretch.

Old May 19th, 2007   RJ Squires is offline   #709
RJ Squires
persona non grata

Speaking of stretchs...

"Martian Manhunter" worked with Jor-EL ???

Old May 19th, 2007   booyah is offline   #710
booyah
Effing Awesome Horseman

Location: Arkham Asylum, revolving door for the Criminally Insane

Speaking of stretchs...

ddf
RJ Squires View Post
Yeah...as a Manhunter, tracking down dangerous criminals.

I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum.....and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Old May 20th, 2007   Jake1823 is offline   #711
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

I dunno, I liked the fact that they're changing stuff around. J'onn being the guardian of Clark, the Bizarro origin, etc etc....

I wish they weren't so lazy at times with their writing....

Where is everybody?
Old May 20th, 2007   booyah is offline   #712
booyah
Effing Awesome Horseman

Location: Arkham Asylum, revolving door for the Criminally Insane

I dunno, I liked the fact that they're changing stuff around. J'onn being the guardian of Clark, the Bizarro origin, etc etc....

I wish they weren't so lazy at times with their writing....
ddf
Jake1823 View Post
Make no mistake..I love this show...but I agree.
For every brilliant idea, or modern twist on decades old continuity, there is something that just feels like it was phoned in.
This finale on the other hand, was NOT one of those moments. It was AWESOME!!!!!!!

I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum.....and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Old May 20th, 2007   Frankenstein is offline   #713
Frankenstein
Keyboard Warrior

That scene with Chloe's tear falling on Lois, reviving her has got to be one of the most cliched, daytime soap opera, writers-have-run-out-of-ideas moments I've scene in this show yet. I won't be around for season 7. Bring on Heroes season 2!

The best comics-related reviews on YouTube!

http://http://www.youtube.com/user/KapowComicBookShow
Old May 20th, 2007   gardner_guy is offline   #714
gardner_guy
Geoffan

That scene with Chloe's tear falling on Lois, reviving her has got to be one of the most cliched, daytime soap opera, writers-have-run-out-of-ideas moments I've scene in this show yet. I won't be around for season 7. Bring on Heroes season 2!
ddf
Frankenstein View Post
I agreed with you up until the part where you said you wouldn't be back for season 7. I will just to see Bizarro. But yeah, the show is one notch from jumping the shark IMO.

Armies of the night! Evil taking flight!
Cobra...COBRA!!!
Cobra...COBRA!!!
Old May 21st, 2007   jafabian is offline   #715
jafabian
Iím not dead.

Having Green Arrow and his Justice League was over the top, IMO. If they couldn't have the original 7 they shouldn't have done it at all. It would have been better to have the Legion of Super-Heroes appear instead. Geez, they could always be cryptic and drop clues about Clark's future! The writers LOVE doing that! Then they could introduce Mon-el and could have had Clark save him by sending him to the future instead of the Phantom Zone. Or contact the Legion to pull him out of the Zone.

Too many missed opportunities on this show.

Old May 21st, 2007   Adam Jones is offline   #716
Adam Jones
Mostly Harmless.

Wow, I haven't watched this show since about halfway through Season 5... and judging from how it sounds this season went, I'm darn glad. This show is just freakin' lame.

"Sometimes, you have to be the boss of dancing." - Michael Scott.

www.myspace.com/bizarroadam
Old May 21st, 2007   TJLamb0518 is offline   #717
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Speaking of stretchs...

ddf
RJ Squires View Post

Yeah....THAT was a bit much, wasn't it?

I'm sure somewhere down the line we'll find out Oliver is using Kryptonia arrows given to him by....Jor-El.

Arthur ate some special radioactive tuna fish given to him by....Jor-El.

Cyborgs' accident that caused him to be Cyborg was the fault of.....Jor-El.

And Bart is the 3 cousin on the mothers' side of ....Jor-El.

EVERYTHING always seems to come back to that guy.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old May 21st, 2007   Jake1823 is offline   #718
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

An interesting post from a poster named KaijubotX about J'onn from 'Rama...spoilers for the online smallville game follow!

I played that online Smallville game "Justice and Doom" and there was revelation at the completion of the game. (Spoilers of the game's storyline to follow)...

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
The game takes you thorugh different stages of Ollie's League gathering intel, and fighting against, Lex's super-soldier program (as seen in the episode "Prototype"). Along the way the League gets help from a mysterious benefactor. Turns out that the benefactor is J'onn, and that he has a satellite HQ above the Earth that was created by Swann Industries (you'll recall Dr. Virgil Swann, Christopher Reeve's character). There's an animation showing J'onn morphing into his martian appearance which actually looks like his current blue suit incarnation (without the cape). The events of the game are part of Smallville continuity, so J'onn is actually working with the League.

ddf

Where is everybody?
Old May 21st, 2007   jafabian is offline   #719
jafabian
Iím not dead.

Speaking of stretchs...

ddf
RJ Squires View Post
I suppose it works, but it would have been a lot cooler if it was Abin Sur instead since he's assigned to this space sector. Or Tomar Re since Krypton was in his space sector.

Old May 21st, 2007   John Hays is offline   #720
John Hays
Lovin life!

My DVR only recorded the first hour!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"What we've got here is ... failure to communicate." - Cool Hand Luke

3 time consecutive Comicbloc College Basketball Tournament Champion!