The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old May 10th, 2007   The Krystal Method is offline   #657
The Krystal Method
My <:3_)~ likes HAUS

WILL CHLOE BE THE NEXT TO DIE?

Taken from my mom's Life & Style magazine, the May 14th, 2007 issue with Angie and Brad on the cover says:

"Death comes to Smallville

One of the four main stars of CW's SMALLVILLE reportedly will be killed off by the end of the season! Superman and Lex Luthor should be safe -- so that means Chloe or Lana is likely a goner!"

DAMNIT!

"We tell lies about each other because the truth is such a bore."
Old May 10th, 2007   Jake1823 is offline   #658
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

I'm pretty sure Lana's safe. That does leave Chloe.

Not really much doubt there. I'd give the show MUCH props if they went against comic book continuity and killed of Lana or someone else. That'd be bold.

Where is everybody?
Old May 10th, 2007   Jake1823 is offline   #659
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

So what'd you all think? I liked it overall.

Not big on them getting rid of Martha. I really wish they spotlighted her more. Oh well.

Good to see some spotlight on Lois. Clark really seemed to care about her. I think he could have showed a bit more emotion, but yeah.

Lana and Lex's scene at the end was chilling. Can't wait to see their confrontation next week.

Lex is building an army. Can't wait to see what happens with this.

Where is everybody?
Old May 10th, 2007   RJ Squires is offline   #660
RJ Squires
persona non grata

ummm they killed Martha?

Old May 10th, 2007   Jake1823 is offline   #661
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

ummm they killed Martha?
ddf
RJ Squires View Post
Nope. Senator Burke was killed and exposed as having deals to the mob (Lex framed him and killed him), and Lionel had a convo with the Governor and they agreed that Martha should take the Senator seat till the inauguration.

So, she has to move to Washington, D.C.

Where is everybody?
Old May 10th, 2007   booyah is offline   #662
booyah
Effing Awesome Horseman

Location: Arkham Asylum, revolving door for the Criminally Insane

Awesome episode.
I enjoyed it. The tension is real thick now, especially with Lana and Lex, and Clark and Lionel.
My guess, they have built SO much up with Chloe that there is no way that they can get a decent reveal (about her powers, etc.) and resolution with her in time to kill her off next week. That will play a pivotal role next season if they are smart.
So my money is on Lana taking the long dirt nap. They have taken her to a whole new level that there is just NO coming back from and there is one major stepping stone left in the way of full blown crazy Lex, and that is some shred of love for Lana. If she dumps him next week, Lana is as good as worm food.
I will miss Martha, but hope they spend next season focusing on Clark's further evolution into Superman and end the series on a high note.

I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum.....and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Old May 11th, 2007   jafabian is offline   #663
jafabian
Iím not dead.

I just don't see how the writers can kill Lana. The series is intended to be loosely tied to the movies and Lana is in Superman III as well as in comics. For me, it's obvious that Lionel will eventually be taking the dirtnap if anything just so LuthorCorp can change it's name to LexCorp.

Sure comes across as though they're really minimizing Martha's presence, but it's also possible she's going to become a major player and as a state senator become a real thorn in Lex's side.

Old May 11th, 2007   Nautica7mk is offline   #664
Nautica7mk

This episode was better than I expected but I do have problems with Clark's attitude going back and forth from good to bad, good to pretty bad. I don't know what to say about Clark trying to kiss Lana. It's like watching a failed remake of Romeo and Juliet in the modern times, but even more painful to watch.

The one moment I did feel Clark actually show off his development was him encouraging his mother to take the U.S. Senate seat in washington D.C. yet at the same time, it's hard for me to accept the change. One right action doesn't make every wrong thing he's done okay. Darnit! I'm so torn with his character. I dislike him most of the time and that just ain't right.

And Lex, the man is going evil and I love how the line has completely blurred that he doesn't even think there's a difference. His need to control everything actually made me fear for Lana. Although I can't help feel that she deserves it. She's hopped from one boyfriend to another, I would've honestly liked to have seen Lana's characterization developed away from any boyfriends -- kind of what I've been seeing from Lois.

It was obvious tonight that this was Lois's time to go the distance. Her storyline, while connected to Clark's overall mission, she still manages to be separate from them. She's developing into her future persona a lot more gradually and consistently (but I grudgingly admit that barn door incident to be the biggest copout of any writer to propel her into her future occupation) this past season.

Lex Luthor is the only other exception, IMO. Everyone else is still apaprently trying to find their niche in the world and that's not including our young Justice Leaguers.

We had a lot of fun moments. Scary moments. Sad moments. And by God, it was a surprise to hear the Ben Hubbard reference in the end. I kind of squealed a little bit. I also don't think it's fair to use Smallville as a prequel to Superman movies and the comics. I'd like to think it's separate because Smallville has taken too many liberties that most of the time, I look at Clark and I see Clark, the Kryptonian from Smallville. Not Clark, the future Superman. Sad, but true.

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Old May 11th, 2007   Greg Waite is offline   #665
Greg Waite
Uber Geoffan

It was a decent episode and Lex has finally gone to the dark side.

I didn't really care for Lois trying to convince Wes but she's starting to show what she'll become.

ARES will be unstoppable and I hope the JL team reappears next week.

I know J'onn will pop back up and after what Lex does to Lana in the previews, it's going to be a massive season finale.

"We can't be all heroes, because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by." Will Rogers
Old May 11th, 2007   Jake1823 is offline   #666
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

The one thing that's funny is that for a person working for the competition, Lois sure hangs out at the Planet a lot.

Where is everybody?
Old May 11th, 2007   jafabian is offline   #667
jafabian
Iím not dead.

Does Chloe do any work at the Planet? She seems to spend a lot of time at her desk with her friend from Smallville. And how does he just walk into the Planet offices anyways?

Old May 11th, 2007   Jake1823 is offline   #668
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

Does Chloe do any work at the Planet? She seems to spend a lot of time at her desk with her friend from Smallville. And how does he just walk into the Planet offices anyways?
ddf
jafabian View Post
LOL

I guess he can superspeed in, but still...

Isn't Metropolis like an hour or two away? And Chloe lives in Smallville still, right? So she drives that far for work everyday, lol...

Where is everybody?
Old May 11th, 2007   Nautica7mk is offline   #669
Nautica7mk

The one thing that's funny is that for a person working for the competition, Lois sure hangs out at the Planet a lot.
ddf
Jake1823 View Post
I can hardly call The Inquisitor competition for the Daily Planet, but I do understand what you mean. Regardless of what paper she works for, it's amusing to see her at the Planet so often and no staff member at the Globe seemed to care. lol

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Old May 11th, 2007   jensmith is offline   #670
jensmith
Neo Geoffan

I don't know what to say about Clark trying to kiss Lana. It's like watching a failed remake of Romeo and Juliet in the modern times, but even more painful to watch.
ddf
Nautica7mk View Post
It's tiresome. I can't stand it , which is why I don't watch in real time, I need to ff through those scenes.

I dislike him most of the time and that just ain't right.
ddf
This version of Clark, mho, lacks an inate nobility, which is essential to Superman.

I also don't think it's fair to use Smallville as a prequel to Superman movies and the comics.
ddf
I agree. I don't see how it is supposed to dovetail with the movies any more than the comics. Bringing in Lois & Jimmy so early in the game set them on a different path.

I see Clark, the Kryptonian from Smallville. Not Clark, the future Superman. Sad, but true.
ddf
Ditto.

Old May 11th, 2007   jafabian is offline   #671
jafabian
Iím not dead.

I agree. I don't see how it is supposed to dovetail with the movies any more than the comics. Bringing in Lois & Jimmy so early in the game set them on a different path.
ddf
jensmith

Smallville isn't intended to be exactly like the movies, rather its a "loose" filler for the time when Clark was growing up. For example, Clark left home soon after Jonathan Kent's death in the movies. Not so here. Also, in the movies Lois is an adolescent, much younger than Clark.

Old May 11th, 2007   jensmith is offline   #672
jensmith
Neo Geoffan

Smallville isn't intended to be exactly like the movies, rather its a "loose" filler for the time when Clark was growing up. For example, Clark left home soon after Jonathan Kent's death in the movies. Not so here. Also, in the movies Lois is an adolescent, much younger than Clark.
ddf
jafabian View Post
As to intent, I don't know. Gough changes his mind daily it seems.

But as you said up thread:

I just don't see how the writers can kill Lana. The series is intended to be loosely tied to the movies and Lana is in Superman III as well as in comics.
ddf
jafabian View Post
If it's own universe (which I think it is, good thing DC brought back the multiverse, eh? ), then anything can happen.

Also, Superman 3 supposedly didn't happen if we follow Singer's universe. I guess the question is which Movie franchise and which vision? Donner? Lester? Singer?
Last edited by jensmith; May 11th, 2007 at 02:22 PM.