The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics > Aquaman

Old June 28th, 2012   mego joe is offline   #1
mego joe
Geoffan

Default Aquaman #10

Disappointed in the direction of Aquaman's past. Nothing cleared up with this issue. Is it so hard to have a character just be a good guy because he is without a traumatic or anti-hero past? This isn't Marvel you know.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old June 30th, 2012   jafabian is offline   #2
jafabian

I don't view it as making Aquaman an anti-hero (Didn't Peter David already do that?) as opposed to beefing up Black Manta by making their relationship more personal. Sure his murder of Arthur Jr. was bad enough but now we see that it goes much deeper than that. We also see why his costume is the way it is. I don't see him ever getting revamped again like was was in the Underworld limited series.

Old June 30th, 2012   Mark MacMillan is offline   #3
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

I don't view it as making Aquaman an anti-hero (Didn't Peter David already do that?) as opposed to beefing up Black Manta by making their relationship more personal. Sure his murder of Arthur Jr. was bad enough but now we see that it goes much deeper than that. We also see why his costume is the way it is. I don't see him ever getting revamped again like was was in the Underworld limited series.
ddf
jafabian View Post
I agree. I want a Black Manta book, now.

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old June 30th, 2012   mego joe is offline   #4
mego joe
Geoffan

ddf
jafabian View Post
Didn't like what Peter David did with Aquaman. Making Aquaman the killer of Manta's dad reverses the roles. And I don't think there is an Arthur, Jr. In the DCnU. I see it as making Aquaman too much like Namor. There was always a difference between these two characters, but this addition of killer to Aquaman's past doesn't make it interesting it just makes him unlikable. Why is he going after Manta in the first place? The revenge angle is just way too Mafia. Really disappointed in the direction. It's the wrong way to be feeling about character development 10 issues in.

I guess the problem I'm having is that Aquaman seems to have been a loose canon back when and he's had get some redemption for that in order to become a hero. While this can be a compelling aspect for some characters- it's what I like about Sinestro in the GL book- I don't like it in a hero. Sinestro is a villain. Aquaman is a hero. He shouldn't need redemtlption to become a hero. It just comes off as trying to make him seem 'cool and dangerous.' One shouldn't worry about Aquaman snapping and killing you. But the Others sure seem to think that he's going to kill Manta. And he seems to feel like he should.

It's not why Aquaman is cool and dangerous. Aquaman is cool because he can live underwater and swim fast and he dangerous because of his power over the creatures of the sea.
Last edited by mego joe; June 30th, 2012 at 12:05 PM.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old June 30th, 2012   Mark MacMillan is offline   #5
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

Didn't like what Peter David did with Aquaman. Making Aquaman the killer of Manta's dad reverses the roles. And I don't think there is an Arthur, Jr. In the DCnU. I see it as making Aquaman too much like Namor. There was always a difference between these two characters, but this addition of killer to Aquaman's past doesn't make it interesting it just makes him unlikable. Why is he going after Manta in the first place? The revenge angle is just way too Mafia. Really disappointed in the direction. It's the wrong way to be feeling about character development 10 issues in.
ddf
mego joe View Post
He went after Manta after Manta caused Arthur's father to have a heart attack (which he ended up dying from) when Manta attacked his father after Shin hired Manta to capture Arthur.

Arthur in turn accidentally killed Manta's father when he went looking for revenge on Manta for causing Arthur's father's fatal heart attack.

So, in a way, Dr. Shin is responsible for the deaths of both of their fathers and this long standing blood feud between Arthur and Manta.

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old June 30th, 2012   mego joe is offline   #6
mego joe
Geoffan

He went after Manta after Manta caused Arthur's father to have a heart attack (which he ended up dying from) when Manta attacked his father after Shin hired Manta to capture Arthur.

Arthur in turn accidentally killed Manta's father when he went looking for revenge on Manta for causing Arthur's father's fatal heart attack.

So, in a way, Dr. Shin is responsible for the deaths of both of their fathers and this long standing blood feud between Arthur and Manta.
ddf
Mark MacMillan View Post

Just re-read the arc so far. Aqua an as a killer just doesn't ring true for me or interest me. A hero should not be involved in a circle of revenge. The thing about the death of Arthur, jr that worked was that he couldnt kill Manta despite wanting to. Having him give in to revenge lowers the moral character of Arthur and ultimately makes him less likable. Shame on you Geoff Johns and DC, you're on your way to ruining another character in the DCnU.

It's really too bad because the rest of the story is enjoyable and interesting if not somewhat forgettable between issues because of the decompressed storytelling.

Old June 30th, 2012   jafabian is offline   #7
jafabian

ddf
Mark MacMillan View Post

By making it more personal Manta goes from a super-villain to a GREAT super-villain among Aquaman's rogues. Now he's a step up from the Fisherman and others.

We really don't know the whole story yet either. Seems as though Manta and his father were involved in some questionable dealings even before they met Aquaman. And Arthur did get shot with a spear gun. I see Geoff doing with Manta what he did with Sinestro and Black Adam. Making a villain a great villain. And he's also adding an element into Aquaman's past that, IMO, works with him and how he's been established. It would work with Wonder Woman, Hawkman and Green Arrow. It wouldn't work with Superman, Flash or the Atom.

Old July 1st, 2012   mego joe is offline   #8
mego joe
Geoffan

By making it more personal Manta goes from a super-villain to a GREAT super-villain among Aquaman's rogues. Now he's a step up from the Fisherman and others.

We really don't know the whole story yet either. Seems as though Manta and his father were involved in some questionable dealings even before they met Aquaman. And Arthur did get shot with a spear gun. I see Geoff doing with Manta what he did with Sinestro and Black Adam. Making a villain a great villain. And he's also adding an element into Aquaman's past that, IMO, works with him and how he's been established. It would work with Wonder Woman, Hawkman and Green Arrow. It wouldn't work with Superman, Flash or the Atom.
ddf
jafabian View Post

I don't see that it makes Manta a great villain. It just seems to make Arthur less of a hero.

I honestly think Manta's motivation in the seventies had a lot more social relevance and dealt with a more challenging issue.

Revenge is about the oldest and least interesting motivation for any character.

Old July 2nd, 2012   Robert Saunders is offline   #9
Robert Saunders
Formerly Ebony Warrior

Personally I see this as Johns taking a lot of goony water named villians and giving them drive and a personality. I love this new direction and the more complicated Aquaman. I can hardly wait to see what Johns does with all the other lame Aquaman villians.

Old July 23rd, 2012   Amentep is offline   #10
Amentep

ddf
Mark MacMillan View Post
Its a weird thought but it seems the last few years when Johns takes on characters people seem to find his villains more interesting than his heroes (sinestro, the rogues, black adam and now Black manta)

anyhow, this is the swan song issue for me; i'm just not connecting with the characters or the plot. The story just isn't that interesting to me. I'm glad other people like it (I didn't like Peter David's aquaman either), but this book just is not for me.

Old July 23rd, 2012   mego joe is offline   #11
mego joe
Geoffan

Its a weird thought but it seems the last few years when Johns takes on characters people seem to find his villains more interesting than his heroes (sinestro, the rogues, black adam and now Black manta)

anyhow, this is the swan song issue for me; i'm just not connecting with the characters or the plot. The story just isn't that interesting to me. I'm glad other people like it (I didn't like Peter David's aquaman either), but this book just is not for me.
ddf
Amentep View Post
This is what I'm talking about. I'm real close here to. I'm going to finish the arc but there's a good chance that will be it.

Old July 24th, 2012   married guy is offline   #12
married guy
The 3 Legged Horseman

Personally I see this as Johns taking a lot of goony water named villians and giving them drive and a personality. I love this new direction and the more complicated Aquaman. I can hardly wait to see what Johns does with all the other lame Aquaman villians.
ddf
Robert Saunders View Post
I feel a 6 part Fisherman story coming on!!

'My name is Wally West. I'm the Flash!'
I'm in a very abusive relationship with DC, and I just keep coming back for more. - Fastest