The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old April 4th, 2012   Bizarro #98 is offline   #1
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

Default Action Comics #8 Spoiler Thread

Here there be preview.

This issue presents a more complex view of Superman's mythology than what we had before. Characters who were once just villains now have some redeeming qualities.

Something called "the Multitude" is what destroyed Krypton and is now coming to Earth.

Metallo manages to shake off the Collector's control and keeps him busy while Superman prepares his secret weapon.

Superman causes Brainiac 1.0 to become the Collector's dominant personality by infecting it with his shrunken rocket. So Brainiac is now Superman's Alfred, and Brainiac's ship is the new Fortress of Solitude. Neat ideas if you ask me!

And Superman's anonymous informant who helped him take down Glenmorgan and warned him about the Collector's arrival? None other than Lex Luthor!

Teaser at the end reveals President Superman is from Earth-23.

Oh, and that guy who's been turning up in various places throughout both arcs? He's Satan! Or at least that's what Glenmorgan thinks. Perhaps a new version of Lord Satanus?

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482
Old April 4th, 2012   Outside_85 is offline   #2
Outside_85
persona non grata

Oh, and that guy who's been turning up in various places throughout both arcs? He's Satan! Or at least that's what Glenmorgan thinks. Perhaps a new version of Lord Satanus?
ddf
Bizarro #98 View Post
I think the little guy is Dr. Psycho, he'd have the kind of power to pull these sorts of tricks he's been doing on Glenmorgan and the others, Superman just doesn't have a shield against him like Diana does/did, so he would be more formidable as a superman enemy.

Old April 4th, 2012   Bizarro #98 is offline   #3
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

I think the little guy is Dr. Psycho, he'd have the kind of power to pull these sorts of tricks he's been doing on Glenmorgan and the others, Superman just doesn't have a shield against him like Diana does/did, so he would be more formidable as a superman enemy.
ddf
Outside_85 View Post
In the fill-in arc, he seemed to be more powerful than a mere psychic, displaying abilities such as time travel. But I suppose any of the villains in that room could have been responsible for bringing them there, so you might be right.

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482
Old April 5th, 2012   Simon DelMonte is offline   #4
Simon DelMonte
Diehard DCU & Mets Fan

So we finally get to the point where Supes takes the first step to being the iconic hero we love and miss, and the art is a last minute fill-in that really looks awful.

The big finale was a bit scattershot, like so much else in this series. I like the new "Fortress of Solitude," Luthor's ambiguous nature, Jimmy, and Clark's chat with George Taylor. I wasn't so sure about the fight with Brainiac. And I still don't like the battle armor. The book was better served by the t shirt and jeans.

Simon DelMonte
Old April 5th, 2012   Bizarro #98 is offline   #5
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

Speaking of the armor, what's everyone's interpretation of it changing colors during Superman's fight with Metallo? I thought that it was perhaps trying to blend in with the typical attire of the planets in Brainiac's collection as Superman got near their bottles.

The color combinations reminded me of U-Ban, Kizo, and Mala, so maybe it was more tied to Superman's emotional state. As he felt a stronger connection to Krypton, the armor changed into something more traditionally Kryptonian.

So we finally get to the point where Supes takes the first step to being the iconic hero we love and miss, and the art is a last minute fill-in that really looks awful.
ddf
Simon DelMonte View Post
Before you said anything, I had assumed that was just the back-up. I didn't realize the entire issue had been written by Morrison until I checked the credits page.

Old April 5th, 2012   Astro@work is offline   #6
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

I miss the jeans and homemade cape look already. It made Clark much more a "man of the people".

But, I am geeking out that he is starting out at the Daily Star and working for George Taylor...same as 1939. Looking forward to a tale about why he moves to the Daily Planet.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old April 5th, 2012   mego joe is offline   #7
mego joe
Geoffan

I miss the jeans and homemade cape look already. It made Clark much more a "man of the people".

But, I am geeking out that he is starting out at the Daily Star and working for George Taylor...same as 1939. Looking forward to a tale about why he moves to the Daily Planet.
ddf

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old April 6th, 2012   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #8
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

Could the "short guy" be Myxzptlk?

Check out Pulpline Magazine for original prose content! Submissions welcome!
Old April 6th, 2012   Bizarro #98 is offline   #9
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

ddf
Peter Aitken View Post
I had the same thought in some of the previous issue threads.

Another possibility is Ferlin Nyxly, an old villain who was powered up by a satanic item in his first appearance. Superman's landlady, who also has the last name Nyxly, mentions having a nephew in the first issue. And all the devil iconography also points to him.

Since Nyxly sounds like an imp name anyway, maybe Morrison is just combining the two characters into one. The demonic qualities of Nyxly mixed with the power and impish body of Myxzptlk.

Old April 6th, 2012   Outside_85 is offline   #10
Outside_85
persona non grata

ddf
Peter Aitken View Post
Could be, but it just appears odd that he'd actually hide himself and is apparently hostile towards Superman, if I am not mistaken, he wasn't actually malicious in his doings in the past, he just had a warped sense of humor.

Old April 6th, 2012   Bizarro #98 is offline   #11
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

Could be, but it just appears odd that he'd actually hide himself and is apparently hostile towards Superman, if I am not mistaken, he wasn't actually malicious in his doings in the past, he just had a warped sense of humor.
ddf
Outside_85 View Post
He's a very writer dependent character. He's been a teacher in some stories, a harmless goofball in others, and a hateful foe in others still. Regardless, it's a new universe, so all bets are off.

Old April 6th, 2012   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #12
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

I like end of Morrisons story a lot...showing Clark set up his new status quo. But all the stuff with Braniac is very confusing. Somethimes Morrisons dialogue just seems so wacky and un-natural. Otherwise a solid read.

Looking to trade my single issues for the trade paperbacks. Inbox me if interested. Green Lantern, JSA, Avengers and many DC & Marvel books.
Old April 6th, 2012   superfriend is offline   #13
superfriend
laughs at comics

this title (and Levitz' Legion) are the only titles i'm following from The New 52 and i found these Action issues to be a hot mess. not unlike Morrison comics in the past, i need to go back and read them in one lump and perhaps multiple times being fully engaged. i admit to reading some of the installments without the proper attention needed.

but one thing that really did distract me to a great degree was how much of a mess the continuity of art has been over the last 8 issues. very off-putting and almost working against getting a proper flow.

there's a lot about the trappings of the The New 52 that i don't enjoy. Steel feels diminished in some way. i appreciate his inclusion but this isn't my favorite version of him. Brainiac seems overcomplicated and i think his overwrought visual by merging with Corben may've fed into that. the basic plot involving General Lane is something that, at this point, is well-trod what with Robinson's very exhaustive Superman work. so that's forgivable in the sense that it's just the kind've duplication and rework you get when you restart a property. Lois and Jimmy seem more or less the same and therefore not all that compelling for me--a comfortable fixture that don't bear much attention thus far. i especially don't care for Clark's visual at the end of this issue. he looks very young, almost lchild-like. and the super-armor has me actively hating what i see when it shows up. the art's been a real disappointment here.

i did enjoy the imagination of the Kubert-drawn issues and i like Lex's character. he's vivid and likable in a smarmy, diabolical way. the perfect Lex.

i only hope Morrison can parlay some of the changes into something greater and more transcendent (a little bit of All-Star maybe?) than what has come before and hopefully the art will settle down to something more consistent and aesthetically enjoyable or be wielded in a fashion where the disruptions can logically break with the story to make it more tolerable and less confusing.

observe everything, admire nothing
Old May 5th, 2012   Matches is offline   #14
Matches
stepping aside

Oh ye gods the art on this issue - ugh. "Hot mess" indeed. It's a shame because I thought the script was pretty strong. It was a little obtuse in places but I'm not sure how much of that was down, again, to the art (and the coloring - I don't think the changing colored costume was intentional).

I need to re-read these issues in a chunk - I think a little something was lost in periodical form. It's not Morrison's best work but still quite enjoyable IMO.

Oh, and the landlady is connected to Mxy somehow. He's my bet for "the little guy".

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old May 5th, 2012   Bizarro #98 is offline   #15
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

I don't think the changing colored costume was intentional
ddf
Matches View Post
Really? It seemed obviously intentional to me, given that it was established the uniform could change in the last issue, and it wasn't just the colors that changed, but the symbol as well.

Old May 10th, 2012   Justin is offline   #16
Justin
Supreme Geoffan

I'm guessing Lex secretly helping Clark Kent is a nod towards the friendship that the two had in certain continuities. Morrison does like to use everything.