The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old November 18th, 2005   snaketales is offline   #1
snaketales

Default Dr Fate 1980s mini series

I recently received the four-part Dr Fate mini-series from the late 1980s (and yes, I used the same intro for my post on the Green Lantern boards - all I can say is bless Ebay).
I've had only a quick skim-read of it and my initial feeling is meh.
The art was by Giffen and it seems to be from his very stylised period - when he drew heads really long and skinny. The series was the (then) last hurrah for Kent Nelson, with Linda and Eric Strauss becoming the new hosts for Fate.

Things I liked about the series -
Phantom Stranger vs a possessed Dr Fate!
The JLI fight against a possessed Fate - especially the sequence when Fate blasts Batman and the next panel shows only Batman's legs remain.

Things I didn't like -
The art. A bit too stylised for my tastes.
The confusion over the fate of the JLI and Phantom Stranger. We see the JLI get blasted, but then the Stranger says they're still alive elsewhere. WTF?
The deal with Eric and Linda. Call me old-fashioned, but I feel uneasy about a 30-something stepmother having romantic feelings for her 10-year-old stepson (even before he was aged into an adult). I know, they're not biologically related, but it still left me feeling uneasy. Not enough to violently protest, but enough to mention it.

I bought the series for only $4 Australian, so I didn't feel ripped off.

I'd be interested to hear what anyone else who has read this series thought.

Old November 18th, 2005   Doctor Kent Nelson is offline   #2
Doctor Kent Nelson
Geoffan

I recently received the four-part Dr Fate mini-series from the late 1980s (and yes, I used the same intro for my post on the Green Lantern boards - all I can say is bless Ebay).
I've had only a quick skim-read of it and my initial feeling is meh.
The art was by Giffen and it seems to be from his very stylised period - when he drew heads really long and skinny. The series was the (then) last hurrah for Kent Nelson, with Linda and Eric Strauss becoming the new hosts for Fate.

Things I liked about the series -
Phantom Stranger vs a possessed Dr Fate!
The JLI fight against a possessed Fate - especially the sequence when Fate blasts Batman and the next panel shows only Batman's legs remain.

Things I didn't like -
The art. A bit too stylised for my tastes.
The confusion over the fate of the JLI and Phantom Stranger. We see the JLI get blasted, but then the Stranger says they're still alive elsewhere. WTF?
The deal with Eric and Linda. Call me old-fashioned, but I feel uneasy about a 30-something stepmother having romantic feelings for her 10-year-old stepson (even before he was aged into an adult). I know, they're not biologically related, but it still left me feeling uneasy. Not enough to violently protest, but enough to mention it.

I bought the series for only $4 Australian, so I didn't feel ripped off.

I'd be interested to hear what anyone else who has read this series thought.
ddf
snaketales
It was a horrible series, the Giffen/DeMatteis nail that caused the downfall of DC's Doctor Strange. DeMatteis has wrote some good things but making Doctor Fate into a new age super hero with facial expressions on the helmet... bleh! I don't think there was anything good with that series or the one that followed it... except for the return of Kent and Inza Nelson.

Where were these modern Hector Hall fans when this was all happening? $4AUD hey? Still a little steep for this series

Eric Strauss? Linda Strauss? Jared Stevens? Hector Hall? It's just not the same...Bring back KENT & INZA NELSON (Justice League animated style)
Old November 18th, 2005   jafabian is offline   #3
jafabian

Giffen's work on Doctor Fate as a back-up feature in Flash was much better. Written by Marty Pasko and inked by Larry Mahlstedt it's probably the best rendition of the good Doctor ever done.

Old November 18th, 2005   Amentep is offline   #4
Amentep

I didn't like the miniseries. It never really worked for me. The DeMatteis/ Shawn McManus series I liked mostly on the strength of the art. Then they brought back Inza as Fate, and I thought it was okay, but never clicked on all cylinders for me.

Old November 18th, 2005   skyw1se is offline   #5
skyw1se
Advanced Geoffan

I wanted to like it, really I did....but it was probably the last thing I ever got by Giffen....the artwork was so atrocious.....and the story was a muddy mess....good thing we have the current Dr. Fate over in JSA.

Old November 18th, 2005   ggiandonato is offline   #6
ggiandonato
Master Geoffan

I liked the artwork, especially Keith's Dr. Fate and the all the guys with mouths in their stomachs. At the time I was a bit confused about Eric and Linda, but then I remembered that Kent was aged from a boy to a man very quickly. Take away the stepson aspect and Eric/Linda aren't that different from Kent/Inza.

I also liked the Fate version (Fate, not Book of Fate), but that's because Andrew and I were running the show.

Old November 19th, 2005   snaketales is offline   #7
snaketales

Giffen's work on Doctor Fate as a back-up feature in Flash was much better. Written by Marty Pasko and inked by Larry Mahlstedt it's probably the best rendition of the good Doctor ever done.
ddf
jafabian
I have a few of these stories - either in the original Flash issues or in a 3-issue reprint series called "The Immortal Dr Fate" - and I agree these were better.

Old November 19th, 2005   coiegeek is offline   #8
coiegeek
Neo Geoffan

I used to love the old Dr. Fate he was just this mysterious mystic who seemed to be a bad *** at times. I like his current form in JSA also but wish that Geoff would give him a more prominent role in the group.
I think Dr.Fate like Dr.Strange need to be drawn and written by those who have a graphic style(like brandon peterson or ed benes). If they are drawn by someone with a more cartoony style they just dont hold up well.

Old November 19th, 2005   Beta_Ray_Bryan is offline   #9
Beta_Ray_Bryan

My favorite Dr. Fate story still has to be the McFarlane origin issue in All Star Squadron, issue #47 I believe. That had story and art just right for me.

Old November 19th, 2005   chriskl-99 is offline   #10
chriskl-99

I loved that mini. Giffen's art at the time is a matter of taste, but I think it was surreal and awesome.
I wasn't happy that Dr. Fate was changed so much, but it was still a fun story.
Worth reading just to see Batman's bloody disembodied leg stump falling to the ground.

"First I must do battle for your favors--THEN I'll take advantage of you."
Old November 19th, 2005   jafabian is offline   #11
jafabian

ddf
snaketales
This particular point was the worst I hated about the new Fate. If Linda was as balanced as shown, she'd never have returned Eric's feelings. Nor would she have agreed to this deal. if anything, she might cut a deal with the Lords of Chaos to stop Eric from becoming Fate.

Giffen's art was hard to take. I know he became enamored with a particular French artist who's name escapes me, but he emulated that persons style to a "T." But to go from a slick, polished, detailed style that he used in his Dr. Fate feature in Flash as well as the same style being used in Legion Of Super-Heroes and Omega Men, and to then use such a "art noveau" style sudedenly was hard to take.

Old November 19th, 2005   chriskl-99 is offline   #12
chriskl-99

This particular point was the worst I hated about the new Fate. If Linda was as balanced as shown, she'd never have returned Eric's feelings. Nor would she have agreed to this deal. if anything, she might cut a deal with the Lords of Chaos to stop Eric from becoming Fate.

Giffen's art was hard to take. I know he became enamored with a particular French artist who's name escapes me, but he emulated that persons style to a "T." But to go from a slick, polished, detailed style that he used in his Dr. Fate feature in Flash as well as the same style being used in Legion Of Super-Heroes and Omega Men, and to then use such a "art noveau" style sudedenly was hard to take.
ddf
jafabian

Linda felt a "soulmate connection" to Eric, and somehow knew that he was an "old soul".
Dematteis writes this kind of eastern spiritual stuff all the time. Reincarnation, Kali Yuga, etc.
I think the point was that yep, it's pretty awkward and impractical to find yourself spiritually drawn to a soul that just happens to inhabit a child's body. And if that isn't bad enough, it's your stepchild.
The ongoing series that followed this mini delved much further into all that. It was a lot more light-hearted than the mini, too. Eric & Linda were only Fate for 2 years (24 issues).
The Dr. Fate feature from Flash was collected in a deluxe format mini (along w/some Simonson stuff) called "The Immortal Dr. Fate". If you didn't really like the '87 mini, you might be more likely to dig this one.

"First I must do battle for your favors--THEN I'll take advantage of you."
Old November 19th, 2005   holo2 is offline   #13
holo2
Advanced Geoffan

I liked that Dr. Fate series...it was ok.

Old November 22nd, 2005   jonnjonz is offline   #14
jonnjonz
persona non grata

The deal with Eric and Linda. Call me old-fashioned, but I feel uneasy about a 30-something stepmother having romantic feelings for her stepson. I know, they're not biologically related, but it still left me feeling uneasy.
ddf
snaketales
I know what you mean!

If I wanted to see that I would rent a Joan Collins film from the 1970's...

...uh...

...see you guys later, have to go for a...a...walk!